Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 02:21 PM

7 posts, read 14,112 times

Advertisements

TristansMommy - while this won't brighten your day, your economic woes are being felt across the country right now. Cost of living and inflation is hitting hard, while many areas are having job troubles. From McMansions to Jones-Keeping, all my friends in other cities are saying similar things. I know it won't make you happier, but these things are far from confined to LI at the moment. It may be a year or longer, but hopefully it'll swing up soon.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:44 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjamiem View Post
TristansMommy - while this won't brighten your day, your economic woes are being felt across the country right now. Cost of living and inflation is hitting hard, while many areas are having job troubles. From McMansions to Jones-Keeping, all my friends in other cities are saying similar things. I know it won't make you happier, but these things are far from confined to LI at the moment. It may be a year or longer, but hopefully it'll swing up soon.

I do understand that there are effects of the economy everywhere in this country.. but I do believe that our area is unique in the sense taht the cost of living has far outpaced salaries here... we pay 3x's the national average in property taxes.. and I think it's safe to say taht a household on LI that makes double what the minimum income is in the entire country is still .. well struggling and barely surviving (I'm not saying that is what i make, or not.. but I do know that it takes much moer than $70k to be able to swing it here.. )..

In addition.. nepotism runs ramped within our governemnts.. which we ahve like a cazillion.. I mean how many SD's towns, villages..etc do we need! We've governed ourselves into tax oblivion!! Funny thing is ... everyone complains, but dare you suggest consolidation of SD's or governments well be prepared to be assaulted with a slew of insults!! God forbid one town has to mingle with another.. whatever!! Particulary the "upper middle"of LI's attitude toward the whole thing. You'll get the "More local control" nonsense thrown into the argument..but lets face it..we've got NO control whatsoever. Whatever the budget is for our SD's is what it is and won't change becuase our dumb ass school boards get out negotiated on the contracts every single time.. the ONLY way to cut the "budget" is to get rid of the extra stuff taht makes kids actually enjoy going to school in the first place.. like music, art and sports! Guess what folks.. your kids can get a great education AND all those programs without taxing yourself till death!!! AND.. if you live elsewhere you can actually take a day off and spend time with your kids without worrying that you'll fall into foreclosure.. cause god forbid you don't pull in the income.

Wake up Long Island.. the politicians, the state of NY and heck.. all the insurance cmpanies..etc. . they all charge so much more for everything here.. They think LI is just a big ATM.. and then we continue to allow them to keep up appearances that "long island is a great place to live" that we're all running around like chickens to keep pace with the bills. You know how many young families have two parents working 3 jobs between them? They aren't livning in McMansion folks. ..they're living in little starter houses in blue collar working neighborhoods...

heat? forget abuot it.. spent the winter with th thermostat on 62 wearing sweaters in my house and STILL burned through almost $400 a month in oil! Okay..that's everywhere..but it might not be so unbearable inother parts of the country if I wasn't paying so damned much for a small roof over my head with the insane taxes!!!

Sorry..LOL. I know.. I'm nuts today.. can't help it.. again.. BAD DAY! yeah.. it might be bad elsewhere too..but Im' sure it's just a little tough.. where living on LI is always tight..good times and bad times. that times like these are..well what is beyond tight?

Old 04-13-2008, 04:11 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,785 times
Default Sounds like you've got nothing to lose...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
I do understand that there are effects of the economy everywhere in this country.. but I do believe that our area is unique in the sense taht the cost of living has far outpaced salaries here... we pay 3x's the national average in property taxes.. and I think it's safe to say taht a household on LI that makes double what the minimum income is in the entire country is still .. well struggling and barely surviving (I'm not saying that is what i make, or not.. but I do know that it takes much moer than $70k to be able to swing it here.. )..

In addition.. nepotism runs ramped within our governemnts.. which we ahve like a cazillion.. I mean how many SD's towns, villages..etc do we need! We've governed ourselves into tax oblivion!! Funny thing is ... everyone complains, but dare you suggest consolidation of SD's or governments well be prepared to be assaulted with a slew of insults!! God forbid one town has to mingle with another.. whatever!! Particulary the "upper middle"of LI's attitude toward the whole thing. You'll get the "More local control" nonsense thrown into the argument..but lets face it..we've got NO control whatsoever. Whatever the budget is for our SD's is what it is and won't change becuase our dumb ass school boards get out negotiated on the contracts every single time.. the ONLY way to cut the "budget" is to get rid of the extra stuff taht makes kids actually enjoy going to school in the first place.. like music, art and sports! Guess what folks.. your kids can get a great education AND all those programs without taxing yourself till death!!! AND.. if you live elsewhere you can actually take a day off and spend time with your kids without worrying that you'll fall into foreclosure.. cause god forbid you don't pull in the income.

Wake up Long Island.. the politicians, the state of NY and heck.. all the insurance cmpanies..etc. . they all charge so much more for everything here.. They think LI is just a big ATM.. and then we continue to allow them to keep up appearances that "long island is a great place to live" that we're all running around like chickens to keep pace with the bills. You know how many young families have two parents working 3 jobs between them? They aren't livning in McMansion folks. ..they're living in little starter houses in blue collar working neighborhoods...

heat? forget abuot it.. spent the winter with th thermostat on 62 wearing sweaters in my house and STILL burned through almost $400 a month in oil! Okay..that's everywhere..but it might not be so unbearable inother parts of the country if I wasn't paying so damned much for a small roof over my head with the insane taxes!!!

Sorry..LOL. I know.. I'm nuts today.. can't help it.. again.. BAD DAY! yeah.. it might be bad elsewhere too..but Im' sure it's just a little tough.. where living on LI is always tight..good times and bad times. that times like these are..well what is beyond tight?

Why don't you just go for it - move to where ever you think is going to be better. Sounds like you've got nothing to lose. If you don;t go you might spend the rest of your life regretting not going. Don't let it make you bitter.

BTW I think many many Long Islanders feel just like you do. I know I get that way every so often. I'd love to leave this sandbar, but my job is too good here - I almost wish I could get downsized and thereby be forced to go.

Many Long Islanders have already left. Someone in my neighborhood just moved down South. They put the house up for sale, packed up the kids and were gone. It can be done.

Pick a place you want to relocate to and just give it a chance. What do you have to lose. I mean look at all the immigrants that come here now with nothing. You could sell your house in Levittown. Take whatever equity you have out or if its nothing its a wash. You could have a big garage sale to raise some cash. Then just go and start over renting someplace else that you'd rather be. Eventually you will be able to buy another home.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:32 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
Why don't you just go for it - move to where ever you think is going to be better. Sounds like you've got nothing to lose. If you don;t go you might spend the rest of your life regretting not going. Don't let it make you bitter.

BTW I think many many Long Islanders feel just like you do. I know I get that way every so often. I'd love to leave this sandbar, but my job is too good here - I almost wish I could get downsized and thereby be forced to go.

Many Long Islanders have already left. Someone in my neighborhood just moved down South. They put the house up for sale, packed up the kids and were gone. It can be done.

Pick a place you want to relocate to and just give it a chance. What do you have to lose. I mean look at all the immigrants that come here now with nothing. You could sell your house in Levittown. Take whatever equity you have out or if its nothing its a wash. You could have a big garage sale to raise some cash. Then just go and start over renting someplace else that you'd rather be. Eventually you will be able to buy another home.

I wish it were that easy.. maybe it is ..maybe it isn't..I don't know.. a little risky with a two year old. If it was me and my husband only we would do it 100%!

Old 04-13-2008, 04:42 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,785 times
Default It is that easy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
I wish it were that easy.. maybe it is ..maybe it isn't..I don't know.. a little risky with a two year old. If it was me and my husband only we would do it 100%!
It is that easy. People move all the time with kids - sometimes lots of them. Better now to make the move while your kid is still little. It become harder as they get older because they will put down roots in the community. My advice is just do it.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:43 PM

718 posts, read 2,973,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post

I agree with you. We were the same way, although not in financial dire straits, but FED UP with LI as a whole. Taxes, housing prices etc.
Instead of sticking around and complaining about it and making my self sick about it, we actually DID something. WE MOVED OFF LI!
Numbers don't lie. If it costs you more money to live than what you bring in, you don't have a viable business or job that can support you. Time to give up the business or start over somewhere else. I would call your business a failure on LI (don't want to be mean, but its true). Whatever your business brings in is not enough to support your family.
If it were me I would try to sell or rent out my house. Look for jobs for my hubby and I in another state where the cost of living is much less (stay with family if I needed to) or rent a apartment, and start over. I don't see the market in LI recovering anytime soon, I think TristansMommy will have a few more years of torture if she tries to stick it out and stay. It really isn't the end of the world. You really have nothing to lose by moving and starting over.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:09 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,669,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandGal View Post
Rude comment coming from a true New Yorker, That's why I left.

Good. Stay on Dung Island.

Dung Island babes are wonderful at sneering and finding fault. Perhaps, someday, they'll learn to do something else.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
The school I teach at is basically right beside the Grand Concourse. I was teaching birds to my kids and we went for a bird walk around the play yard. There were hardly any. You can't teach animals too well in the Bronx since I can't take them anywhere to go look at them. Good thing we're going on a field trip to the zoo soon.
Go to Van Cortlandt Park and take them to the swamp.

It is a bit of a walk over what is called the "Putnam Trail." There is a resident Great Blue Heron, as well as a pair of swans.

Even on the street, there's wildlife to be seen. There are House Sparrows (not true sparrows; they are actually finches) and just because they're common, that doesn't mean they're not birds.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:24 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,285,041 times
It is that easy. People move all the time with kids - sometimes lots of them. Better now to make the move while your kid is still little. It become harder as they get older because they will put down roots in the community. My advice is just do it.

I have to say that I agree with nbres. There is nothing hard about moving with a small child and you do sound so unhappy here. There are lots of better places for you . You are young and have an entire country to choose from. What an adventure ! It isn't that difficult to just pack up and move. You might change your whole life.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-15-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Get a grip, you moved there from Plainview what...a month ago? I hope you're working on that espanola and making some real life friends up there in the boogie down... but from the tone of these posts, it doesn't sound like it. Don't forget that even though the BX is lacking in commercial retailers save for fried chicken and 99 cent stores, the worlds largest open air mall is located only a few miles south across the river. Don't get it twisted, the fact that you can buy bootleg DVDs and knockoff handbags off a shopping cart outside the Apple Store does not make Manhattan a culturally vibrant experience, it only makes it (at least) on par with the worst of LI's malls in the materialistic pissing match that is constantly being waged in your head.

I'm quite happy and delighted to be off of your completely useless, moron ridden sandbar.

It sucks. It will always suck. You people ought to pay a special federal tax for your wasteful, greedy "quality of life", which depends on cheap gas, for which, in turn, numerous young servicemen have given their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island