Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 02:55 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,274,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABACAB View Post
Again, back on topic:

Nassau County tax payers: do you feel the NCPD should take a $15k per cop pay cut, decreasing the average pay to $115,000 while keeping all benefits?
And if so, what have you done about it? OTHER than complain on message boards?

Old 02-02-2011, 02:59 PM

324 posts, read 335,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
And if so, what have you done about it? OTHER than complain on message boards?
Why are you so interested in my personal actions? I'm asking fellow property owning and tax paying Nassau County residents if they feel the NCPD can/ should take a pay cut. What I have or haven't done about it is off topic.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:04 PM

929 posts, read 2,069,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
No disrespect Tom but the more you post about police related topics the more foolish you sound. Any officer could read what you posted and have a field day with it. With that I'll just point out a few things to you : I could point out 100's of examples why you are wrong but I'll stick with just a few basics.

First when a civilian wants to report a "crime" sometimes isn't actually a crime under the NYS penal law. It happens 100 x's of times a day I'll give you an example so you can understand better. I use to answer 911 calls and the complainant would be irate and say " I was just assaulted by that guy and I want him arrested " The real story he had an argument with someone and that someone either slapped or punched him which doesn't necessarily raise it to a crime( fel. misd. assault) . More often than not it would fall under a harassment(violation) ( depending on the severity of an injury if there is even one) and would have to be done in the officer's presence for him to take any action. Another classic example is civil matters that people think are "crimes" and if you have the time to explain it to them they don't want to hear it. Bottom line there are so many variables that people don't understand. The law is very complicated even for professionals.

Your second part about showing your badge I don't know many officers that would wave their badges if they just committed a crime. Maybe a traffic violation( stop sign, red light) or a parking condition. These aren't crimes and should no way effected "crime stats" I could go on forever......

The problem is civilians think they know the law..........but it's the officer's job to know them

I'll paraphrase PDCNRET...Sometimes you have to walk in an officer's shoes to really get a grasp of what's really goes on....somethings you just can't Google
No disrespect, BIG MIKE, but you shouldn't get into a gun fight with a knife. The discussion we were having was centered around an argument someone made justifying police salaries in light of the low crime rates found on Long Island. My point was that these statistics can be manipulated. I gave an example of a way this data is manipulated, then gave an illustration of the manipulation. You then substantiate my point with more evidence right after you insult me.

Yes, crime rates can be manipulated many ways. We agree !!! Thank you for proving my point! So, I'm happy that you agree that crime rates can't be used as evidence to justify overly bloated police salaries on Long Island.

And don't give me any of this "you don't know what I'm going through" argument. That argument doesn't work on anyone with an IQ over 60. Does that work for you when a cop pulls someone over for drunk driving. "Well officer, you don't know what I'm going through." Do you think the officer should just take the cuffs off and let them go, because the officer doesn't know every little facet of their life?

Maybe your ground floor view only constricts you to these weak and unlogical argument, but I am not constrained by your or pdc's conflicts of interests or inability to think objectively.

Just for another bit of reference. A great deal of police officers don't know the law. Since, in order to be put on trial an officer has to arrest someone yes? Well, if that person is found not guilty then they didn't break the law. Still able to keep up? Well, if they are found not guilty then the police officer didn't know the law. So, all cops do knot know "the law."

Old 02-02-2011, 03:09 PM

324 posts, read 335,457 times
Again, back on topic:

should NCPD salaries be cut by $15,000 to help balance the budget and avoid even more tax hikes for home owners? Or should average cops continue to earn $130,000 plus pension plus health benefits, fully paid for by taxpayers?

Old 02-02-2011, 03:18 PM

If you feel police salaries on Long Island should be cut, what have you done about it other than complain on a message board?

If you haven't done anything, what do you hope to get out of complaining?

Are you talking just to hear yourself talk?

Are you venting? It's okay if you are. Free speech is a wonderful thing.

Just don't delude yourself into thinking it's going to accomplish anything.

929 posts, read 2,069,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Given that I am referring to you with my comments, as I've asked you roughly four or five times whether you've presented your ideas to your legislators and what their responses were, and every single time you ignored the question and went on and on about everything BUT that, you're up to your ears in shenanigans.

So, I'll ask you, again, what you have done--BESIDES complain on message boards? Have you presented your ideas to your legislators? What was their response?
I've contributed to campaigns and had endless conversations with all level of elected officials on the matter of controlling spending and cutting taxes. Including, but not limited to school budgets, police budgets, and pension programs. I was brought up to do your part to fix the problem, or you have no right to complain about the circumstances. Don't be a victim, be part of the solution.

I believe that is what it will take to make New York and Suffolk County competitive in the future. I know that some people take that personally, because we are talking about their jobs. Unfortunately, the spending has gotten so out of control because of the broken way the system operates.

294 posts, read 610,373 times
Quote:
Again, back on topic:

should NCPD salaries be cut by $15,000 to help balance the budget and avoid even more tax hikes for home owners? Or should average cops continue to earn $130,000 plus pension plus health benefits, fully paid for by taxpayers?
Generally speaking, I think any and everything should be on the table as part of a long-term plan to solve our fiscal issues with public sector pensions, etc. The current system is collapsing under its own weight. It can still be fixed, but it needs to be done sooner than later.

***Full disclosure: I am a NYS employee.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:25 PM

Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
I've contributed to campaigns and had endless conversations with all level of elected officials on the matter of controlling spending and cutting taxes. Including, but not limited to school budgets, police budgets, and pension programs. I was brought up to do your part to fix the problem, or you have no right to complain about the circumstances. Don't be a victim, be part of the solution.

I believe that is what it will take to make New York and Suffolk County competitive in the future. I know that some people take that personally, because we are talking about their jobs. Unfortunately, the spending has gotten so out of control because of the broken way the system operates.

Thank you, Tom, for taking 30 seconds of your time to provide an answer. Seriously. That is awesome, and no, I am not being sarcastic.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:27 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,667,809 times
Quote:
Again, back on topic:

No. I would not cut their current salaries but I would do the following as has been suggested elsewhere in this thread:
1. convert the pension to a defined-contribution plan fully supported by the NCPD
2. health benefits fully paid for by the NCPD
3. vacation policy should be use or lose or possibly allow a maximum of one week carried forward
4. sick days - use or lose
5. if pension remains then pension benefit should be calculated off of base salary

The primary reason I would do the above is to constrain union negotiations to a single issue - salary.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:31 PM

Default Last call!

DMan, what have you done to implement change, other than complain on a message board?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island