Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 02:06 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,868,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Maybe in Nebraska.
you must be wetting yourself that a LEGALLY OBTAINED gun was used to kill 4 innocent people.
you gun lovers need to pick and choose your battles better dum dum.

This was a tragedy regardless of the fact that the gun was registered.

. Please post those FBI stats.[/quote]
Statistics are a waste of time. You can find statistics to support anything. The only thing I give a damn about on the issue of guns are what the Founding Fathers and the Constitution have to say on the subject. I would NEVER force anyone to carry or own a firearm. But when you spout off ideas that give support to those that want to restrict my rights I see that as an infringement and and I would say supporters of gun control are guilty of treason.

GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 11:22 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Default Would a Gun Have Made a Difference for Any of the 4 Victims?

In this story are details of what was actually seen on the survellance video at Haven Drugs showing each of the murders.

From Newsday Mobile, for all to read:

DA: Laffer spent days casing drugstores
Top Stories Item

Quote:
When Laffer entered the store, he engaged Ferguson in a "very normal conversation" about drug interactions. Then he told Mejia he wanted to speak to Ferguson privately.

Mejia walked off to an adjoining alcove. Laffer continued to chat with Ferguson, Spota said.

At the same time, the video showed Laffer concealing his right hand in a black backpack, Spota said. The backpack slowly rose just before Laffer shot Ferguson in the abdomen, firing the gun through the backpack. Ferguson grabbed his stomach and fell backward, but was still alive, Spota said.

Laffer then moved out of camera view into the store's storage room to kill Mejia, the district attorney said. Spota said two shots were audible, as was the sound of Mejia screaming. Laffer returned to Ferguson -- on his back and still moving -- and shot him twice in the face at point blank range, Spota said.

Laffer then shot two customers as they entered the store, one shortly after the other. Spota said Laffer hid near the front door in an aisle so he could sneak up behind Bryon Sheffield, 71, shooting him in the back of the head.

He then went back to filling his backpack when he noticed Jaime Taccetta, 33, come in, Spota said. He ambushed Taccetta in the same manner. Sheffield and Taccetta "never even knew" Laffer was there before he "executed" them, Spota said.
He was extremely sneaky about the shootings. Maybe if Mejia had a weapon (what is the minimum age for concealed carry of a handgun in states that have it, as she was 17?) and heard the first shot fired at Ferguson and thought fast she might have been able to fight back with a gun by shooting Laffer before he got her, but the others were really taken at close range 100% by surprise as per the video surveillance tape. Sad and scary.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:15 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,475,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
NY is "Shall Issue" ... as in... "Shall Issue Whenever We Give You The Right"

LOL.. possibly not for long. Infringement suit is currently in the works. I pray to go it hits the SCOTUS and they rule it unconsititutional. The lawyer for Heller v. DC and McDonald v. Chicago took the case which is being led by the Second Amendment Foundation. I joined as a life member 20 minutes after finding that out. I'm really annoyed NRA hasn't filed an Amicus on the case.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:58 PM

999 posts, read 2,358,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
People with guns kill people.

People with fire extinguishers extinguish fires.

Really, i seen a guy with a fire extinguisher who used it to crush the skull of another person.

He didn't have a gun, he did have a fire extinguisher.

People who have no rational thinking will kill you with whatever they have.

So if we lose guns, eventually we'll lose forks, knives, spoons, fire extinguishers, bats, cars, tools, wood chippers, sawzalls, rope, chains, cables, plastic bags. . .
And. . . Many other things i know of that have been used to take another persons life.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:23 PM

999 posts, read 2,358,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Guns are like cars: Both should require training, testing, and a license.

Do you agree or disagree with the statement above? Why or why not? Discuss.

Ah ha. . . . .

The test for a drivers license should be changed, and the school for it should be on a closed course where the driver can witness what a mistake can do.
Then take a real road test like those used for commercial drivers, then traffic would be quite light, it amazes me how utterly clueless people are to the rules of the road and right of way, and then wonder how they have accidents. . .

Something i am trying to get by fighting for a new motorsports facility....this way we can teach kids the right way to use the road and how to do everything the correct way, not the way they watch their mom or dad who are equally clueless. . .
__________________________________________________ _________

Now on the gun issue, while i believe you have a right to defend yourself, and i believe you should be able to own a gun, as a gun owner and a responsible firearm user, i also believe taking the gun to a range and learning how to use it properly and care for it are also important.

A person with a gun that has no use of it may not be any better off than a person who is about to be killed without one.

I also believe if you are excitable person that a gun may not be the right choice, as you need to remain calm to make the shot count.

Ever sit back and wonder how someone can take 12 shots and never hit the target once

It would be in the best interest of anyone considering a gun to learn how to use it, and even take a course where you can walk thru a tactical play and see that you can make mistakes, and shoot someone you weren't intended to.

I was lucky to grow up with a firearms expert marksmen where i was lucky to have access to things other people do not.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:51 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,868,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
This was a tragedy regardless of the fact that the gun was registered.

. Please post those FBI stats.
Statistics are a waste of time. You can find statistics to support anything. The only thing I give a damn about on the issue of guns are what the Founding Fathers and the Constitution have to say on the subject. I would NEVER force anyone to carry or own a firearm. But when you spout off ideas that give support to those that want to restrict my rights I see that as an infringement and and I would say supporters of gun control are guilty of treason.

GL2[/quote]
There are places in the United States where the citizens are not as willing to be brainwashed as they seem to be in some states. Letters To The Editor and Bloggers in these mostly rural communities that have not been contaminated by the "group think" Liberal media often express opinions you would never see in a big city environment. An example- - -
McCook Daily Gazette: Letter to the Editor: Project Gunwalker: A 'Fast and Furious' plot to murder, enslave Americans (06/21/11)

GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island