Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 09:03 PM

50 posts, read 136,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Asia is the largest continent, and extends from Japan in the east to Turkey in the west.
I know, I know, Walter.

Still, when I hear Asian the first population that comes to mind is Chinese.

Maybe it's because I live in Brooklyn!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 02:13 PM

239 posts, read 509,546 times
I know this is an old post but I wanted to comment.

I agree that while Hicksville and Levittown are moderately priced and have no bad areas, I don't care for the small levitt-type houses with no basement. It also makes the neighborhoods seem boring IMO.

You mentioned Mineola. School district is rated ok, but I know people who were pleased with it. What I personally don't like about Mineola is that its in a very busy section with most of the streets being located right off Jericho Turnpike. Not to be racist, but I know some residents have been complaining about the immigrant population there as well.

New Hyde Park is an underrated area. I don't care for the section close to Jericho Turnpike, but a little north (referred to as North New Hyde Park) towards Hillside Avenue and Union Turnpike have some very nice streets and houses, and it doesn't feel as cramped as some other sections of Nassau. New Hyde Park Memorial High School and elementary schools are very good also. I hear NHPMHS is competitive and many of its students go on to well-respected colleges, its the best of the Sewanhaka CHSD. A portion of New Hyde Park is also in Herricks which is a good district as well, but houses are usually more pricey. It is true that New Hyde Park is becoming very Indian in some sections if that matters to you.

Franklin Square is a busy area too being in the middle of Hempstead Turnpike, but I think some of the houses are nicer there than in Mineola. It has no LIRR station though. Carey HS (Frankin Square) and New Hyde Park Memorial HS are in the same district, but NHPMHS has a better reputation. Then again, a school is always what you make of it.

Lynbrook don't know too much about. I've seen some nice sections and its a good school district. If I were you I'd may chose Lynbrook over Franklin Square because I've seen nicer houses in the area.

Stewart Manor is charming area, but as people mentioned the school district isn't that good.

Floral Park is very nice as well with a good school district, Floral Park Memorial HS is probably second to NHPMHS in the Sewanhaka CHSD. Personally I wouldn't move there just because I'd rather be a little further away from Queens. Even though both Floral Park and New Hyde Park are both close to Queens, NHP seems more spacious for some reason.

Have you ever looked at Merrick-Bellmore? Very nice neighborhoods with great school districts. It may be out of your range, but with the housing market taking a drop you may be lucky.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:55 PM

149 posts, read 525,381 times
[BYou mentioned Mineola. School district is rated ok, but I know people who were pleased with it. What I personally don't like about Mineola is that its in a very busy section with most of the streets being located right off Jericho Turnpike. Not to be racist, but I know some residents have been complaining about the immigrant population there as well.][/b]

I live in Mineola and besides having the 8th grade in HS (which is in Garden City Park) I love the school district here. She's been going to the schools (Hampton for 5th grade, Mineola Mid School for 6&7) and I am pleased. Couldn't afford to send her to catholic school any longer-we lived in New Castle and the SD there is pitiful, so a nicer, quieter area made more fiscal sense.

I guess it depends on what you like/looking for. I am near the businesses on Old Country Rd and love the convenience of the stores around. I've seen homes north of Jericho off Mineola Blvd that were gorgeous-not sure how many are in Mineola before being in Williston Park near Hillside Ave. The homes on the flower streets are charming.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:08 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,693,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilemoll View Post
... we lived in New Castle and ...
New Castle or New Cassel?

New Castle is a town in Westchester County; New Cassel is a hamlet in the Town of North Hempstead, Nassau County.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:58 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,754,365 times
I still vote FQ

Old 03-19-2012, 06:12 AM

149 posts, read 525,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
New Castle or New Cassel?

New Castle is a town in Westchester County; New Cassel is a hamlet in the Town of North Hempstead, Nassau County.
I meant New Cassel Darn autocorrect on tablet

Old 03-20-2012, 11:32 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,240,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
The only thing that has changed in Franklin Square in the past 30 years are the stores. Still all Italian and Most people still keep up there properties nicely. Obviously the main road of the town in ANY town is hard to keep perfect. I Fail to see where this "down the hill" is. Maybe you are confusing it with neighboring Elmont, Which is like a 3rd world country now.

To OP - Franklin Square is a nice upper middle class town , You should encounter no major problem.
Agreed! I live in Franklin Square and it's one of the nicest areas where you don't get killed with taxes and you're in a great school district. The turnpike is a main road. OP, what do you want it to look like? Stores close because of economy but the stores that are there usually maintain the property pretty well. Even further down into Elmont it's not that bad. I commute to the subway via N6 and it's really not so bad (the turnpike).

Old 03-20-2012, 11:40 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,240,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandG View Post
I currently live in FS but in the district 13 schools. the neighborhood is changing but still has lots of italians, great community feeling- as far as the park goes. i have small ones and i am happy with the great things i hear about john street and washington street. i plan on buying in either one of those areas. i agree with everyone about hemp. turnpike it is sooo gross to drive thru.... soooo abandones. dirty looking and not one nice store... the movie theatre, pool and stores need updating but in this economy i guess it is the same everywhere. i also really like garden city south and manhasset hills. i am also italian and was searching for a neighborhood that had lots of kids, friendly, well kept homes.... i think fs has that even though parts are changing....
There are 3 elementary schools. Polk St is actually better than John St. based on the scores that were compared between schools when I was looking for my house. Washington seems to be the "better" of the 3. The reason I moved to FS was because of the Italian poplulation. I grew up in Queens in an Italian neighborhood that has become Guyanese and Indian or Pakistani. When I drove through FS I loved seeing the bakeries, pasta shops and pork stores. You will not be disappointed. The turnpike doesn't bother me in terms of looks but I do wish there was more shopping but with this economy, it is what it is. Every neighborhood changes. It's inevitable.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:48 PM

5 posts, read 13,011 times
I disagree with your assessment of Franklin Square. You did not drive through the entire area. Franklin Square is quite large, Hempstead Turnpike runs through part of it. The larger and newer homes are close to Southern State. You would be pleasantly surprised. The Square is divded into two school districts No. 17 and 24. Many prefer 17 but you do not have free access to the Elmont Public Library which is large and new. It's true there is no LIRR. Many commute to Valley Stream Station and Lynbrook. Take your choice. Willow Road School is top rated, many parents from Valley Stream send their kids to the school. This tells you something about the schools in Valley Stream whose reputation is going downhill steadily. Have a reputable real estate agent show you the neighborhood. Also, consider looking at homes in the Square close to the park. Good luck. Stop paying rent and have some Italian ice at Ralph's.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:11 PM

128 posts, read 251,561 times
There is an abundance of modern day wannabe thugs in Franklin Square ...... I would look elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island