Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 09:18 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,243,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI*TEA View Post
There is an abundance of modern day wannabe thugs in Franklin Square ...... I would look elsewhere.
Just like any other neighborhood on LI . I can say the same about at least 5 other neighborhoods, most of which are the "upper" ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic Century View Post
Yes, I saw someone (or was it you) say that in another thread, but the White Xs on the road thread has this "bot" arguing with Walter, including a snide comment about their cartographer stifling a snicker. That's not bot language. My money's on it being a troll -- probably a troll designed to highlight Mr. Greenspan's constant off-topic posts by playing the same game.

LOL..yes, it was there. Check out the response your comment just got. Whatever it is, it's just annoying because it's also posting in threads were Greenspan didn't comment.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:11 AM

111 posts, read 223,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
LOL..yes, it was there. Check out the response your comment just got. Whatever it is, it's just annoying because it's also posting in threads were Greenspan didn't comment.
I missed whatever response my comments got. Came back and the white Xs thread was closed and my posts here were deleted. Yeah, because I'M the troll!

Old 03-27-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic Century View Post
I missed whatever response my comments got. Came back and the white Xs thread was closed and my posts here were deleted. Yeah, because I'M the troll!

Looks like the LIRR posts were deleted. Oh well.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:45 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,320,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sja4410 View Post
I disagree with your assessment of Franklin Square. You did not drive through the entire area. Franklin Square is quite large, Hempstead Turnpike runs through part of it. The larger and newer homes are close to Southern State. You would be pleasantly surprised. The Square is divded into two school districts No. 17 and 24. Many prefer 17 but you do not have free access to the Elmont Public Library which is large and new. It's true there is no LIRR. Many commute to Valley Stream Station and Lynbrook. Take your choice. Willow Road School is top rated, many parents from Valley Stream send their kids to the school. This tells you something about the schools in Valley Stream whose reputation is going downhill steadily. Have a reputable real estate agent show you the neighborhood. Also, consider looking at homes in the Square close to the park. Good luck. Stop paying rent and have some Italian ice at Ralph's.
FYI -- you cannot simply "choose" where your kids go to school if it is OUT OF THE DISTRICT YOU RESIDE IN. If that were true, wouldn't many parents in Hempstead be sending their kids to Garden City schools instead? Perhaps these parents from Valley Stream are in district for Willow Road School and that is why their kids go there, not because of some nefarious rumors about VS schools?

Says who? The schools in Valley Stream are still very good regardless of the color of some of its residents (this is usually REALLY the complaint, color not quality).

Old 07-27-2012, 07:40 AM

487 posts, read 545,705 times
Default Mineola

MINEOLA is a great place to live for many reasons ........ Wonderful Village services, well kept homes with a wide range of prices, beautiful state-of-the art library, resident only pool, summer camp for resident children, strong athletic programs, great commute into NYC, beautiful parks, senior programs, variety of great restaurants, low crime, wonderful shopping, etc. It has a strong sense of community with residents who truly care about each other. It is not uncommon for residents who want to upgrade their homes to either expand current ones or buy within the Village to remain residents. The surrounding areas do not have the same wonderful amenities as MINEOLA. There is a variety of sections all having their own flavor: the Park section (this is where Chaminade is located, the Jackson Ave. school, MINEOLA Middle School, the library and Memorial Park......a campus like section), the Boulevard section, Mott section, etc. The Village has a nice selection of different types of homes to meet your personal and financial needs. Another perk - taxes are not off the charts as with some surrounding areas. Condos/town houses also available. It is also located near some of the best hospitals in the nation.

The school district is great.......gem in Nassau county. It is a hands on District and treats students as individuals with strengths and weaknesses. Children do not get lost in the crowd. It has wonderful teachers, superb academic programs, strong Guidance Department with great support for college bound students (i.e., college tour trips), advanced technology in the classrooms, sports and many after school programs and anti-bullying programs. It is proud of it's award winning Cultural/music programs. Students blossom. Students are from parts of MINEOLA, Williston Park, Roslyn Heights, Albertson and Garden City Park. If people would educate themselves about the district instead of just comparing it to other districts, they will realize that those districts cannot compare in certain aspects. It is one of Nassau County's best kept secrets. Children from the entire district flourish together academically and socially........a well rounded compassionate, community-minded group of students.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:15 AM

3 posts, read 7,943 times
Hi Elisa? Just reading all the posts. I'm in the same dilemma. What did you end up buying? Or you are still renting?

Old 08-22-2013, 09:38 PM

5 posts, read 13,015 times
Default Franklin Square

You are wrong and need to take your medicine!

Old 08-22-2013, 10:06 PM

428 posts, read 970,627 times
Merrick, N. Valley Stream, Oceanside, Malverne.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:11 PM

428 posts, read 970,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisa19 View Post
You have a two year old and three houses to pick from:

1) Franklin Square: 60 Commonwealth Street

2) New Hyde Park: 108 N 2nd Street

3) Lynbrook: 113 Wood Street

They all cost the same.

Which one is the best pick?

ps. You all say NHP has a growing Indian population, but when I look at the school demographics it says it's half Asian, but I guess they mean Indians (I thought it was Chinese)?
Lynbrook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island