Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 10:45 PM

50 posts, read 135,988 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I was on this board more than a year ago asking for advice on where to buy a house on LI. I got many helpful responses, but unfortunately, I'm still renting.

Last time around we looked at Levittown, Hicksville and Westbury (East Meadow SD).

I ended up disliking Levittown for the difficult commute to NYC and the lack of basement.

Hicksville was just too industrial and grey.

Westbury wasn't all that great either.

Back then we were trying to keep our budget under $350K. We have a two year old, so we need safety and the best school we can afford. And decent sized rooms (not like in Levittown's capes!).

So we've decided to up our budget to $400K and for that matter, look somewhere else closer to NYC. From my preliminary research, these are the finalist cities:

Mineola: looks good on paper, but today we drove around and while some neighborhoods look nice, some look pretty run down (by Old Country Road). What is the general opinion on Mineola? I like the stores and the LIRR close by.

Franklin Square: looked worse than Mineola on paper, but then the houses looked nicer when we drove through it. The bad is there is no train close by. And Hempstead Trnpk looked kind of ugly.

Other places that have some homes under $400K are Floral Park, New Hyde Park, and some surrounding areas, but I haven't really dug school info yet.

I even considered the better Valley Stream, but I worry about the many negative comments against it. I also would like to explore Stewart Manor.

If you had $400K and a 2 year old girl, where would you go? Which school district?

Can anyone go as far as listing the SD of the towns and villages I've mentioned in order of best to worst?

If it matters at all, I'm Italian and would love to find somewhat of an Italian community here in LI (I live in Brooklyn, but all the Italians are gone!), but of course is not a priority.

Thanks so much for your help!
Elisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 11:48 PM

276 posts, read 988,443 times
400 is tough in most Nassau neighborhoods, odds are it will be a fixer upper in the areas you listed.

My thoughts....Mineola, Floral Park, NO.
Franklin Square, which I agree Hempstead is ugly, is your better bet

Even better bets that you didn't ask about...North Bellmore if you could find something in your budget.

If you are willing to venture into Suffolk, your absolute best bet would be East Northport.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:26 AM

83 posts, read 254,897 times
Stewart Manor is very pretty, boarders Garden City, there are currently two Duplex's for sale at 429K, you can definitely get them for under 400K. Taxes are going to range from 10K to 11K.

Problem with Stewart Manor is that it is in the Elmont school district, you can send your child to the Stewart Manor elementary school but forget High School. You do not want to send your child to Sewanhaka High School.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:03 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisa19 View Post
Last time around we looked at Levittown, Hicksville and Westbury (East Meadow SD).
The part of the East Meadow Union Free School District that has a "Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address is in Salisbury, not Westbury.

Bear in mind, the majority of places that have a "Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address (4,302 acres) are not in Westbury (1,511 acres).

On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are, rev. 3 may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

When you do find a house that you like, you can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) that house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP, or Census Designated Place, is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

And, very importantly, among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:06 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r20926 View Post
Problem with Stewart Manor is that it is in the Elmont school district ...
A small part of the Village of Stewart Manor is in the Garden City Union Free School District.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:45 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
A small part of the Village of Stewart Manor is in the Garden City Union Free School District.
This is true, but it's only one street (Fernwood Terrace)....and those homes go for a premium. But if you could find one in your range, go for it. Agree with pp about Stewart Manor....it's great till your kids go to middle school. Another issue with S.M. is many people who live there send their kids to St. Anne's...so you might feel kind of "odd man out" if you do public school. BUt it's a great little community.

Franklin Square, people keep their homes up nicely....but there are a million renters and driving around the streets is like playing a continuous game of chicken because of all the cars parked on both side of the road leaving one driving lane. Heavily Italian. Hempstead Tpke looks bad and is getting worse....when we visited over the summer we couldn't believe how much it had gone downhill in just one year. Depending on where you live could be a tough commute.

Mineola has some really nice homes, especially south of Old Country Road, again not sure of that price range there.

New Hyde Park is nice enough....also not sure of the pricing structure there. Seems to be no bad areas.

FP - my guess is if a house is going for under $400K there is going to be some work involved.

With the exception of FP/SM, all of these areas are without "downtowns" so you are left with main drags (read, little charm) for your shopping experiences. SM only has Covert Ave but they do a nice job of giving that a "downtown" feel.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:51 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post

Mineola has some really nice homes, especially south of Old Country Road, again not sure of that price range there.
I think south of Old Country Rd is Garden City.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:57 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,753,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Franklin Square, people keep their homes up nicely....but there are a million renters and driving around the streets is like playing a continuous game of chicken because of all the cars parked on both side of the road leaving one driving lane. Heavily Italian. Hempstead Tpke looks bad and is getting worse....when we visited over the summer we couldn't believe how much it had gone downhill in just one year. Depending on where you live could be a tough commute.

The only thing that has changed in Franklin Square in the past 30 years are the stores. Still all Italian and Most people still keep up there properties nicely. Obviously the main road of the town in ANY town is hard to keep perfect. I Fail to see where this "down the hill" is. Maybe you are confusing it with neighboring Elmont, Which is like a 3rd world country now.

To OP - Franklin Square is a nice upper middle class town , You should encounter no major problem.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:04 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
The only thing that has changed in Franklin Square in the past 30 years are the stores. Still all Italian and Most people still keep up there properties nicely. Obviously the main road of the town in ANY town is hard to keep perfect. I Fail to see where this "down the hill" is. Maybe you are confusing it with neighboring Elmont, Which is like a 3rd world country now.

To OP - Franklin Square is a nice upper middle class town , You should encounter no major problem.
I gotta agree with savaged. Hemp tpke is pretty mundane looking from Farmingdale to the Cross Island. It was never really nice or anything. I don't get what "went downhill so much in one year" means.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:29 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I think south of Old Country Rd is Garden City.

I mean Jericho Tpke. Should never post on a Sunday morning. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island