Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 07:40 AM

516 posts, read 1,076,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgedPolaris View Post
Put it this way, all the sudden a lot of unique cars/trucks with out of state plates began popping up, and I figure in some of these places, there's a different person in each bedroom.

Quiet evenings outside with a glass of red are now classed up with a fine chap two doors down blasting reggaeton out of his lowered late-80s Mitsu truck with North Carolina plates.
It's not just N. Babylon it's most of middle income LI, I would leave but it's not much better down south. Sure it's quiet because the battery in the Mitsu went dead about a week after they put it on blocks to pawn the tires but thats about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 02:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,133,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound3 View Post
You live around there - for how long? 10 years? 20 years? 30 years?
Yes - for most of us WHITE EUROPEAN AMERICANS - when a neighborhood becomes "diverse" that code for saying it's a minority-infested third-world ****-hole.
Are you serious? Diversity means that it isn't overwhelmingly one race. An area that's 90% Black is just as diverse as a neighborhood that's 90% White.

I remember an article saying that NYC overall is one of the most diverse cities in the country. It's around 35% White, 23% Black, 28% Hispanic, and 12% Asian if I remember correctly. They used some sort of algorithm to figure out that if you picked 2 people at random, there would be a 74% chance that they would be of 2 different ethnic/racial groups.

By contrast, Miami is around 70% Hispanic (I forget the White, Black and Asian percentages), and it was listed as less diverse than NYC, with only a 47% chance of picking 2 people of different ethnic racial groups.

As far as being crime-infested, that is just completely false. Yeah, there's a tendancy for areas with minorities to have a lower QOL than mostly White areas, but there are a ton of exceptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Maybe it might mean that in the Deep South somewhere but anybody with at least a High School education knows that diverse just means having a notable presence of more than one ethnic group.

I mean, IF you did live in this town then you can sell your house and move all you want(if you're even able to with the recession); it's totally your choice. But it's only a matter of time until the new location becomes diverse as well. If you change your attitude then you may have an easier time adjusting because that's the way society and this country as a whole is going neither you like it or not. Not trying to come off rude but just laying it out for you like it is.
+1

Old 10-09-2011, 02:50 PM

104 posts, read 342,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink1955 View Post
It's not just N. Babylon it's most of middle income LI, I would leave but it's not much better down south. Sure it's quiet because the battery in the Mitsu went dead about a week after they put it on blocks to pawn the tires but thats about it.
I know you all may not believe this but living in a white neighborhood all my life and being of AA background. The person blasting his stero is not doing as a black thing maybe he/she just likes loud music, but then again some people are not racist they just can't see past a person skin color

Old 10-09-2011, 03:39 PM

516 posts, read 1,076,973 times
I never intended to come across as the stereo blasting was a black thing, I was thinking more as a lack of consideration for the neighbors. It happens everywere on LI and is not confined to any race.

People live differently today than they did even 20 years ago and most middle age long islanders who are busting their buts to keep up the american dream resent the multi tennant trend that is happening on most middle income neighborhoods.

Lets face it, if you do not own the home and live there with 10 other unrelated people do you realy care what happens in the neighborhood?

Old 10-09-2011, 04:53 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,748,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Are you serious? Diversity means that it isn't overwhelmingly one race. An area that's 90% Black is just as diverse as a neighborhood that's 90% White.

I remember an article saying that NYC overall is one of the most diverse cities in the country. It's around 35% White, 23% Black, 28% Hispanic, and 12% Asian if I remember correctly. They used some sort of algorithm to figure out that if you picked 2 people at random, there would be a 74% chance that they would be of 2 different ethnic/racial groups.

Your definition of diverse is off in the way you're applying it. Yeah, NYC as a whole is those percentages -- but look how segregated the neighborhoods are in the map above. The upper E & W sides, Harlem, Spanish Harlem, Chinatown, Flushing, Corona, Jamaica, East New York, Brownsville, Howard Beach, Bensonhurst, Bay Ridge, SE Queens, Downtown Brooklyn, South Bronx etc etc,.... Most NYC neighborhoods are actually very segregated --NOT very diverse at all. If you look at Manhattan demographics compared to Nassau County, they are not all that different.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:20 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,133,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post

Your definition of diverse is off in the way you're applying it. Yeah, NYC as a whole is those percentages -- but look how segregated the neighborhoods are in the map above. The upper E & W sides, Harlem, Spanish Harlem, Chinatown, Flushing, Corona, Jamaica, East New York, Brownsville, Howard Beach, Bensonhurst, Bay Ridge, SE Queens, Downtown Brooklyn, South Bronx etc etc,.... Most NYC neighborhoods are actually very segregated --NOT very diverse at all. If you look at Manhattan demographics compared to Nassau County, they are not all that different.
You're missing my point. He's saying that "diverse" means "a lot of minorities". I'm using NYC vs. Miami as an example of an area being less diverse despite having more minorities.

I could make a more extreme comparison: East St. Louis to NYC. East St. Louis is 97% Black, and it is much less diverse (overall) than NYC. The same thing for East Los Angeles, which is 97% Hispanic: It's much less diverse despite its higher minority population.

Hell, you just further proved my point. Brownsville and SE Queens aren't very diverse, even though they're both 80% Black (though Blacks in Brownsville are much different from Blacks in SE Queens).

As far as diversity within neighborhoods goes, you're right to a degree. Most NYC neighborhoods aren't as diverse as the city overall, but even within the neighborhoods, there is some diversity. For instance, East Harlem is actually about 60% Hispanic, 30% Black, and 10% White. In another city, it would be over 90% Hispanic.

The same thing for Harlem: It's only around 60% Black. In most other areas of the country, it would be over 90% Black.

For an LI comparison, Wyandanch is only about 63% Black. If it were in another region of the country, it would again, be over 90% Black.

So basically, both LI and NYC have segregation, but I still don't think they're as segregated as some other areas in the country. In both areas, there aren't a whole lot of 90% (insert any race/ethnicity) neighborhoods.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:08 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,325,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgedPolaris View Post
My street became a whole lot more "diverse" in the past three years, mainly due to a wealthy guy snatching up a few of the foreclosed split-level homes, and I guess renting them out sloppily. Put it this way, all the sudden a lot of unique cars/trucks with out of state plates began popping up, and I figure in some of these places, there's a different person in each bedroom.

Quiet evenings outside with a glass of red are now classed up with a fine chap two doors down blasting reggaeton out of his lowered late-80s Mitsu truck with North Carolina plates.

Embrace diversity.
You got it! Of course all this could be stopped if the towns enforced their existing housing codes, but, they are paid off by the same rich elite that bought up all the homes for cheap labor to mow people's lawns.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:30 PM

93,415 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post

Don't get diversity confused with integration. They aren't necessarily one and the same.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:34 PM

104 posts, read 342,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink1955 View Post
I never intended to come across as the stereo blasting was a black thing, I was thinking more as a lack of consideration for the neighbors. It happens everywere on LI and is not confined to any race.

People live differently today than they did even 20 years ago and most middle age long islanders who are busting their buts to keep up the american dream resent the multi tennant trend that is happening on most middle income neighborhoods.

Lets face it, if you do not own the home and live there with 10 other unrelated people do you realy care what happens in the neighborhood?

Now this I can agree with, sorry if I misunderstood you

Old 10-10-2011, 08:46 PM

6 posts, read 10,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Maybe it might mean that in the Deep South somewhere but anybody with at least a High School education knows that diverse just means having a notable presence of more than one ethnic group.

I mean, IF you did live in this town then you can sell your house and move all you want(if you're even able to with the recession); it's totally your choice. But it's only a matter of time until the new location becomes diverse as well. If you change your attitude then you may have an easier time adjusting because that's the way society and this country as a whole is going neither you like it or not. Not trying to come off rude but just laying it out for you like it is.

btw: I lived here for 10-20 years, graduated from NB Schools (which has always had diversity and performed reasonably academically) and I came out fine. Get with the program!

[For the record- I only notice more diversity in the Woods Rd and Weeks Rd sections of North Babylon. The neighborhoods of the hamlet of North Babylon south of the Southern State Pkwy don't really have that noticeable of a minority presence; though even the woods rd+weeks rd sections are still overwhelmingly majority white.]
Average IQ scores: Caucasoid(white) - 100, Hipanic/Latino - 85, African - 70. Yeah, there's diversity in those #'s too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island