Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2011, 11:18 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Because it is Manhattan, and it made LI what it is today. Aside from the amenities that go along with living near a world class city, a great deal of LI's economic prosperity is due to the fact that ~25% of its population works in NYC and earns NYC level salaries. The money they make gets spread around enough to raise the cost of living here higher than most other places in the US.

If LI was physically located off the coast of South Carolina, Texas or Oregon, would its population be 2.6 million? Would housing cost on average $350k to $400K? Would taxes be as high as they are? Would the schools be as good as they are without that tax money?
You Mean Over_Developed Boy we Owe them City Folks a Big Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 11:36 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,858 times
You country folk need to get out more

"Empire State of Mind" Jay-Z | Alicia Keys [OFFICIAL VIDEO] - YouTube

Old 10-26-2011, 11:38 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,823,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
You Mean Over_Developed Boy we Owe them City Folks a Big Thank you
It is what it is.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:46 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,177,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
I talk about travelling west because its applicable to a majority of us, thats all. Also we seem to be marketing NYC as "the place to be" to outsiders as far as jobs are concerned. I have never heard about Ronkonkoma being the hot spot for employment.

Just for the record my thoughts are still the same for the person who lives in Manhattan and commutes to Ronk for work.... (or from Ronk -> Montauk if you want etc etc) I am not saying Manhattan is heaven, I am just strictly talking about how commute destroys your life and that to tell someone that since they are already commuting 90 minutes, "whats a few minutes more" is the worst piece of advice you can give.
The whole notion that the "Majoriy of us" are NYC dependent is equally false and patently Jersey.

Last edited by Crookhaven; 10-26-2011 at 12:32 PM..

Old 10-26-2011, 11:55 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,823,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
All irrelevant, Does not change that S.I.B (who my post was clearly aimed at) beleives that anyone who lives in Suffolk County is a moron or hick.

I also do not care about the history of Manhattan. Maybe back then it carried LI, now it most certainly does not. Plenty of jobs in Suffolk. Your both blind.
I think this is the problem with a large portion of the US population today - they have no interest in what happened in the past but don't realize this is why things are the way they are today. Understanding the past is a way to affect change for the future.

There are plenty of jobs in Suffolk due to the money that economic engine of NYC generates for the region. Person A works in NYC, uses their salary to buy goods and services on LI, those companies use that money and so on, or company B sells goods and services to companies in NYC. This is a basic principal of the economics of suburbs that surround large cities.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post

Been their Seen it and you Can Keep it.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:14 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,763,385 times
Quote:
Your posts don't even make any sense.

I am sorry you are in love with Manhattan. Not my cup of tea. You act like everyone in the world has the exact same opinion as you, and if they don't, they are morons. You have quite the ego my friend.
no ego. I just get a kick out of the LI rednecks who pay LI prices for country livin'. And those that are afraid of the big city, lol.

Quote:
I guess the millions of people who live in Suffolk are morons and out of their minds for buying houses there. ~_~
actually, I commend them for not overextending themselves and buying something they cannot afford.

Quote:
NYC is a sewer.
how would you know? You don't even have sewers where you live....

Old 10-26-2011, 12:16 PM

10,236 posts, read 6,324,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
OK, I'll bite.

I am Bronx born and partially bred. When my parents left the Bronx for LI (Levittown) their families reacted like it was moving to the end of the earth. It was (then) a completely different animal compared to any of the OUTER boroughs of NYC.

My parents referred (as do many people) to Manhattan as NYC; the remaining boroughs by their names. When some of my family moved to Bayside, and we would go to visit, we were either: "going to Queens" or "going to Bayside". Two of those family members worked on the UWS. So Bronx born and bred, relocated to Queens, but they said they "worked in NYC".

When I am heading to NYC, like my family, and like many friends families who moved from a borough of NYC to LI, when we refer to NYC we, too, mean Manhattan.

Depending on traffic -- I have had 1 instance where I was able to make it home to Stony Brook from Times Square in a little over an hour. Traffic was with me, and I was frantic with a sick child in the car. Let's just say I exceeded the posted speed limit and wasn't caught. More often than not, I am looking at 90 mins with normal Manhattan traffic and Queens roadwork/congestion. I head into NYC (Manhattan to those not from a Borough) for entertainment only, so I have the luxury of traveling off peak hours by car. The LIRR is another story completely -- 2 hours.

Those from Stony Brook who have to commute from Stony Brook to the City (Manhattan) have an over 2 hour ride one way by train into Penn, followed by subway or walk to their offices.

Looking at it from that time perspective, it's hardly close.

For those of us in Suffolk, it is different than living in a Borough of NYC. We prefer not being lumped into that category. As it is there are plenty of non NYers who have no idea that Manorhaven and Manorville are no where near each other, or that you don't roll out of bed on the UES and land in East Hampton. Speaking for myself, I don't do it to give some sense of wealth, but because to me, having roots in The Bronx, being close to the City is relative.

Perhaps it does boil down to pride in where we live -- that we don't feel that we have to embrace 'we are close to Manhattan' to define ourselves.
I am from Manhattan and my husband Queens. When we first moved to Smithtown, it used to puzzle me when when people would say they were ging to "the City". When I would ask them WHERE in the City, they looked at me like I was from outer space. "Manhattan, of course". Well, SAY that because NYC has 5 boroughs, not just ONE. I never got over that even after 27 years, nor that some people on LI are actually afraid to go into the "big, bad, city". Silly.

I went into "Manhattan" once a week on the LIRR while Mom was still alive and living there. Besides visiting Grandma, I wanted my kids to be comfortable being in NYC, including "Queens" where my husband's mother and relatives were/are.

It really is not that far away, not even from Western Suffolk. My husband commuted back and forth on the RR into Manhattan every day for 20 years. Yes, Long Island IS considered within commuting distance. I really don't understand why if you choose to live on Long Island, you wouldn't want to go into NYC (any borough) whenever you desire to do so. Is there a WALL separating Great Neck and Little Neck? Each place is unique and why not enjoy each for what they are?

On Edit: My husband consulted for a time, and we had friends who lived on, STATEN ISLAND!!!!! If people think that NYC "Manhattan" is the only borough and so far away, let me say this. You will find out VERY QUICKLY just how close Manhattan really is, and how MANY boroughs there are in NYC, when you commute, or drive, to STATEN ISLAND!!!! "Are we there yet?" "No, we are still in BROOKLYN."

Last edited by Jo48; 10-26-2011 at 12:40 PM..

Old 10-26-2011, 12:17 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,707,690 times
Quote:
Agreed. Why is everyone obsessed with how far they live from Manhattan. Honestly I am the opposite. I actually would never live anywhere closer than 50 miles of it. I hate the city- nothing of importance that we don't have here. Its a dirty grimey sewer that all of you worship. I don't now and never will understand the obsession with Manhattan.

Spoken like a true Long Island Jethro.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
no ego. I just get a kick out of the LI rednecks who pay LI prices for country livin'. And those that are afraid of the big city, lol.

actually, I commend them for not overextending themselves and buying something they cannot afford.

how would you know? You don't even have sewers where you live....
were not afried of the That Big City (well Mybe HARLEM)

We Just Don"t Like it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island