Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 06:50 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,763,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Could this possibly be because of the fact that many points east (central LI) and north east don't have fast lines into NYC? If someone is in between PJ and Ronk, PJ-Penn at 7:45 is 109 mins vs Ronk being 85 mins -- which would you choose?

If the PJ line were faster, Ronk wouldn't be so busy.
this is obvious to anyone with common sense...and lost to those with an agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 07:51 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,177,363 times
From SB OBH absolutely. The PJ rail is junk. I was referring to the surrounds of Sachemconnectquotville etc Not NE Brookhaven. Like I said , not optimal
but doable. Let's just not refer to a Massapequa commute as gleeful or Central Brookhaven as the Boonies...shall we?

Crooks

QUOTE=OhBeeHave;21425003]Using Pequaman's figures and my own experience on the LIRR from both the Massapequa and Ronk stations -- it is longer than a matter of 22 mins.

It takes me (on a good day) 30 mins from the time I walk out the door of my house in Stony Brook (Nicolls Rd) to the time my feet are on the platform at the Ronk station. 30+69 = 99 mins

It took me 15 mins (on an average day, hitting lights on 107) from door to platform. 15+47 = 62 mins

Or (back to Exit 62, Nicolls Rd) I walk to the SB station (12 mins) and hop on a peak train which will take anywhere from 98 mins (peak) to 113 mins (off peak.) 98+12 = 110 mins

For a commuter, the extra 37 mins/day (Ronk-Mass) equals 17,760 mins additional commuting per year (assuming 2 weeks vacation) or 296 hours per year or 12 days spent commuting.

Needless to say, I am very happy that I only ride the LIRR to go into the City for entertainment. Lord knows I would have lost my mind if I were a commuter.[/quote]

Old 10-25-2011, 08:03 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,707,690 times
Crooks is delusional about the time it takes to get into the city. As an frequent visitor to the Land of Oz (better known as Rocky Point), I have on occasion commuted to my job in lower Manhattan. Taking the PJ line, it took almost 2.5 hours...and I do understand that Ronk may be a bit faster.

However, in the time-space continuum that Crooks is caught in..I have heard it only takes 3.5 minutes to get to the LIE from RP. Im still trying to find that magical carpet route.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Crooks is delusional about the time it takes to get into the city. As an frequent visitor to the Land of Oz (better known as Rocky Point), I have on occasion commuted to my job in lower Manhattan. Taking the PJ line, it took almost 2.5 hours...and I do understand that Ronk may be a bit faster.

However, in the time-space continuum that Crooks is caught in..I have heard it only takes 3.5 minutes to get to the LIE from RP. Im still trying to find that magical carpet route.
just head on down the Billy Floyd....it's a breeze! Plenty of people do it! Best darn value on the north shore! We got rides an attractions! We love it here! If ya get stuck in the mud, just call our award winning cheerleading squad! Half my neighbors work on Wall Street! Do you really need to see your kids more than two days a week? Just don't tell too many people...I don't want the best kept secret on Long Island getting out!

Old 10-25-2011, 08:44 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,177,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
just head on down the Billy Floyd....it's a breeze! Plenty of people do it! Best darn value on the north shore! We got rides an attractions! We love it here! If ya get stuck in the mud, just call our award winning cheerleading squad! Half my neighbors work on Wall Street! Do you really need to see your kids more than two days a week? Just don't tell too many people...I don't want the best kept secret on Long Island getting out!
Shirley.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:09 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Where has it caught on? I agree with you, it makes perfect sense for jobs where it can be pulled off. The savings on commuting costs, office space, daycare, etc, is probably worth in the tens of thousands to employers/employees. Plus it would open up the pool of employees a company could higher to a much broader range. But for whatever reason it's still only a small percentage of the country that does this. Most likely lower in NY. I'm not sure why it hasn't caught on more like was predicted in the 80s/90's.
India. The perfect way to offshore American service jobs. I remember back in the day I had coworkers who would "dream" about telecommuting:

"We have fax machines and computers. We could do our jobs at home."

Me, being the skeptic, didn't think it was a good idea. I said, "I think management would just ship our jobs to smart Mexicans and pay them 52 cents an hour!"

Never did I realize they could get labor even farther away and even cheaper! (Now if we take a huge ax to that transatlantic cable gobbling up American jobs and burping them up in SE Asia, maybe we can say "hello" to more green jobs for Americans.)

Old 10-25-2011, 02:19 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post

OMG! Remember that thread? That was an epic battle! LOL! Who was he fighting with again? Dman, you out there ... was it you?

Old 10-25-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
OMG! Remember that thread? That was an epic battle! LOL! Who was he fighting with again? Dman, you out there ... was it you?
I think it was a battle that raged across multiple threads....

Old 10-25-2011, 02:22 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,707,690 times
I think it was Dman.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:29 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times
Crooks, no one's buying what youre selling.

Stop already. It's embarrassing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island