Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 06:28 PM

418 posts, read 1,070,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I am Bronx born and partially bred.
I rescued a cat from the Bronx. She is one tough girl, has more personality than many humans I know .

As long as there is no commute to Manhattan, it seems Suffolk should be more attractive - for me is no-brainer, but of course it's personal opinion...
I love the no-commute part, the lower population density, the more laid-back flavor. Tempted to go farther east for the peacefulness, if it were not for work. For the occasional visits, NYC is close enough.
I grew up in a major city and find city life attractive for different reasons. But anything in-between just seems adding stress IMO...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 07:39 PM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINY89 View Post
But the commute time isn't the ACTUAL distance. I can drive like 125 miles in 2 hours...I live 50 miles from Manhattan and 40 from the city border. The commute might feel like 125 miles one way, when in reality it's really only 50 for Manhattan and 40 for Queens. If I can drive 20 minutes to the Robert Moses Bridge and see the NYC skyline on some days, I'm sorry but that can't be considered far. My friend in Melville which is about 25-28 minutes from me told me he was working in an office building in Melville and from the 5th floor could see the Manhattan skyline clearly. It's really our transportation system that sucks and makes it seem so far away (Manhattan not Queens). People seem shocked when I tell them I can make it to the Queens border on an off peak hour in 45 minutes easily...I have even made it in barely 40 some days. They tell me I must be wrong it must take at least an hour, but it's just not true if you drive there on off hours. My record is actually 38 minutes from Queens border to parking at my house but that's crazy and not typical I'll admit . 45 minutes however is the norm for me so I don't feel disconnected from NYC. I understand when people say THE CITY they mean Manhattan, but it throws people off. When explaining to a girl from California that I live about 45 minutes from NYC my friend from Staten Island butted in and said "Are you kidding? You are like an hour and 20 minutes away!" which pissed me off because obviously the START of NYC is Queens. I judge things by borders, not where the biggest buildings are. It's like only considering Riverhead to be Long Island. But technically LI starts at like New Hyde Park. It's so stupid. NYC is NYC. When I cross that border, I am in NYC. It just makes me so mad because 20 miles get lumped on to how far away I live from NYC when it's really BARELY 40 miles...I pass signs by my house everyday that says "NEW YORK 37" referring to miles. I refuse to call myself a country bumpkin when I can drive to NYC in less than an hour easily as long as I plan it at the right time. People in Suffolk will brag about how close they are to the Hamptons when in reality some parts of the Hamptons are just as far as Queens for us. Hell, Queens is closer to Central Suffolk than "out east" by like 10 miles. I just don't get it...be proud to live so close to the greatest city in the world, why deny it? The country is Wyoming, not Long Island. LI is the suburbs of NYC.
Sounds like you are trying waaay too hard to impress some new friends. To anyone who lives in the 5 boroughs, Ronkonkoma may as well be Wyoming. Yes, you live in a NYC suburb. Yes, you can see the skyline on a clear day. Whoopee. To them you're still a tunnel rat.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:54 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,691,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINY89 View Post
But technically LI starts at like New Hyde Park.
If you're thinking about where the LIE or NSP cross the Queens/Nassau Border, then that would be in Lake Success ("Great Neck, NY 11020" mailing address).

Here's a hyper-accurate map from a New York Times article:

Old 10-22-2011, 08:25 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,177,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
If you're thinking about where the LIE or NSP cross the Queens/Nassau Border, then that would be in Lake Success ("Great Neck, NY 11020" mailing address).

Here's a hyper-accurate map from a New York Times article:
Is it me or does the area to the right look more dense on the bottom.

Is the image correct?

Crooks

Old 10-23-2011, 06:33 AM

59 posts, read 82,403 times
When we moved from Manhattan to Bohemia in 1961 we called it the country even though it was very mid-island.

A few years later we moved to Southold on the North Fork and called it the farms.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:31 AM

956 posts, read 1,208,045 times
Living north of the city it's not distance to the Bronx border, but usually it's either the distance to the GWB or mid-town Manhattan (42st street). Really where is the action and most of the jobs? It's not in the Bronx or Queens...it's Manhattan!

The OP refereed to Ronkonkoma/central Suffolk as way out and IMO I do consider it way out. You have to remember there is only out of LI and that is going west. If one wants to visit New England they have to go all the way around the Long Island sound. When the amount of traffic on Long Island and Queens it seems even more. IMO Long Island should be not measured by miles, but rather by time. 20 miles may seem like it should only take 20-25 minutes, but most likely than not it's can be 40-45+ minutes.

The same case can be said for Long Islanders when it comes to anything north of the city. Most of the ones I meant consider the Hudson Valley to one big farm land and out in the "sticks".

Old 10-23-2011, 09:11 AM

418 posts, read 1,070,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeHudson View Post
You have to remember there is only out of LI and that is going west. If one wants to visit New England they have to go all the way around the Long Island sound.
From Stony Brook, I get to Boston in under 4 hours (door to door), including 1h on the ferry (Port Jeff). That is about the same if I drive from White Plains to Boston.

Yes, the ferries are not cheap, but they are frequent and there is convenience in avoiding traffic.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:38 AM

999 posts, read 2,358,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
buy a house in Ronkonkoma - your commute won't be much more than an hour!!" In fact the other day I saw an ad for a house rental in Huntington touting the fact that Huntington is "20 minutes from NYC!" with an accompanying picture of Times Square. Perhaps that's your house you are trying to rent???

Lmfao, 20 minutes maybe at 2am, and no rain or accidents, and you are speeding, watch those cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeHudson View Post

The OP refereed to Ronkonkoma/central Suffolk as way out and IMO I do consider it way out. You have to remember there is only out of LI and that is going west. If one wants to visit New England they have to go all the way around the Long Island sound. When the amount of traffic on Long Island and Queens it seems even more. IMO Long Island should be not measured by miles, but rather by time. 20 miles may seem like it should only take 20-25 minutes, but most likely than not it's can be 40-45+ minutes.

Yes i agree, time not miles.... I live 70 miles from my parents where i grew up...
The problem becomes time, as soon as you get to the suff/nass border, its almost like the city with traffic.
I have been goofing on my parents and friends for years, most of the city is a few miles, from the farthest point you can cross boroughs in 10 miles or less, the traffic and clueless drivers make that 6 mile trip take an hour...

From my parents house to say QC during a normal hour can take an hour, or atleast 35 minutes, that's 7 miles. . . .

During normal day time hours going to and from the RKK area to QNS can take way over an hour, add in rain and clueless drivers, cops closing a major hwy for an accident and 2 hours later "hey how you doing"....

Old 10-23-2011, 11:12 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,707,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I'm sorry you push a broom.

Crooks.

Cheap shot from a guy that lives in a community that, except for certain sections, is nothing more than summer bungalows with heat.

Telecommuting from Rocky Point? First thing is you need electricity to work your computer.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:33 AM

999 posts, read 2,358,383 times
Lmfao. . . . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island