Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2011, 06:59 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
Ronkonk is 50 miles from manhattan guy. Not 5000. It has never been considered boonies.
maybe not by you.
Quote:
It was extremely popular among city folk in the 1950s.
for what reason? pumpkin picking?

Quote:
If you consider Ronk the boonies, then you are living in a seirous Nassau bubble.
it's called the bubble of reality.

Quote:
You are a perfect example of the what the OP was talking about - people making suffolks proximity to NYC seem like a galaxy away when in any other state 50 miles would be considered close. I honestly feel for bubbled Nassau. It really is a shame.
yeah, it's a real shame we don't get to experience the various wonders and cultural resources of flyover country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
1 of the Reasons why this place Sucks Developers=GREED
Nothing to do but Sit in the House and Be quite Like they want us

Its Like Being in The Hole in Prison
this guy rules.

can we create a sub-forum for the homebound and miserable?

Old 10-26-2011, 07:44 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,753,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
maybe not by you.

for what reason? pumpkin picking?

it's called the bubble of reality.

yeah, it's a real shame we don't get to experience the various wonders and cultural resources of flyover country.

Pumpkin Picking? It was a summer resort area with a beautiful lake. Look it up. Flyover country? That starts at 112. You are quite clueless. I am convinced you have never passed 110 in your life.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
Pumpkin Picking? It was a summer resort
I don't think "resort" means what you think it does, lol.

Quote:
Flyover country? That starts at 112.
really? I didn't realize there was so much happening between 111 and 112. Do tell!

Quote:
You are quite clueless. I am convinced you have never passed 110 in your life.
except for the first 20+ years of my life....yup, I never went out that far!

Old 10-26-2011, 08:06 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...sland-end.html

Old 10-26-2011, 08:38 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,753,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
I don't think "resort" means what you think it does, lol.

really? I didn't realize there was so much happening between 111 and 112. Do tell!

except for the first 20+ years of my life....yup, I never went out that far!

Where do you live thats so magical with oh so much happening 24/7? I don't understand. There are Mcdonalds, bars, and strip malls in suffolk to ya know. Please do tell whats so "happening" in your part of Nassau?

Are you just mad your kids didn't have a backyard to play in growing up? House on top of your neighbors so you can hear when they fart? I understand if your frurstrated. But there is still plenty of land left here - you can leave Nassau, I promise you will be alright your a big boy now. You can bare the scary woods and trees of suffolk on your own.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:40 AM

297 posts, read 729,756 times
I have just always referred to Manhattan as "the city"

Old 10-26-2011, 09:09 AM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
The same phenomenon happens in CT. I think partially it has to do with the terrible traffic in this region. 40 miles can take a long time with traffic.

I live about 45 minutes from the Bronx, but people closer to NYC - such as Stamford - or Manhattan residents think it's wayyy further. They don't believe I can go from my doorstep to parked in Manhattan in an hour when there's no traffic.

In other parts of the country, especially the midwest - 40-60 miles to a major city would be considered pretty close. Especially given in many metro areas, the traffic isn't nearly as horrible as it is in the tri-state area.

I do notice that people in CT treat traveling to Manhattan like a very-seldom treat. That isolation is strange, given the premium we're paying to live near NYC. I go as often as possible.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:34 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
What I especially love about these timetable comparisons is the blatantly obvious avoidance of how terribly run the commuter rail is... even by LIRR's own doctored statistics they always sucked. and if the LIRR delays don't happen, you're far from home free - the clusterpork leaving the parking lots will.

In all my years wearing that commute ball and chain, I would always still be amazed by grown dressed up men audibly sighing or whining like my 8 year old when the engineer pulls the train too far or stops short. You know, you get there early enough to park yourself where the doors ARE SUPPOSED TO OPEN so you don't have to stand the entire trip. and the guy brain farts driving the train. There are so many little things to sabotage a commute that looking at timetables is useless. Way too many things can go wrong delaying you or making it a down right miserable experience.

Perception is reality... So no matter how physically close you may be to anything, it doesn't matter if you can only SEE it and you're standing behind thousands of retards depending on other retards to move along. Anyone doing it 5 days a week gets my sympathy.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:36 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,823,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
The express train from Ronkonkoma is impressive. 69 minutes of train time from that far east to Penn Station is very good, and a small miracle for the LIRR.

But how long does it take to drive there? How long does it take to park and walk to the station? How much longer does it take in the PM if you miss an express train and have to make every stop? How much longer are you sitting there tortured when 4 drops of rain fall and disable the entire system? That stuff all sucks and adds a considerable amount of time... whereas in "SE Nassau" I walk out my front door every single day 8 minutes before my train comes, pass by two traffic lights that are always green, park right under the tracks at 5:57 and I'm walking down 34th Street 40-something minutes later. If I miss the express in the afternoon, the local takes FIVE MINUTES longer, though it seems like an eternity. If the entire LIRR stops working I take the subway to Jamaica and then a bus home from there. If I miss the train in the morning, no big deal... I just drive - because I don't live in the boonies and I can still make it into Manhattan in about an hour at that time of day.

It's still a long commute from Nassau, but it's fairly typical for the NYC metro area. Ronkonkoma is really on the outskirts of sane commuting distance. Anyone who does it, I give them credit.
+1 Hence, this is why housing in Nassau cost more than Suffolk, convenience to NYC. Time is money, but commuting time valuable too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Apples to apples, best case scenario would be 47 min to SE Nass or 69 min to Nicolls rd.
So what youre saying is that its a little under an hour to live in S Nassau and a little over an hour to live in the Boonies.
My bad, dealbreaker.
Crooks
Crooks, by only quoting the LIRR travel times (let alone the quickest) you are being a little disingenuous, because as many have pointed out, they don’t live at the train station or work in Penn Station.

The “22 minutes” you mention don’t occur in a vacuum and, by itself, this is not a long time. But adding “22 minutes” each way to a one plus hour commute on top of at least an 8 or 9 hour work day is a lot and does become a drag. This is especially true when you add in the ~10 minutes to get to the station and the 10 to 30 minutes to get from Penn to wherever. So real, overall commute times based on your quoted example are more like 67 minutes vs. 89 minutes at minimum, or could be up to 87 or 109 minutes or more.

Getting an extra 44 minutes per day to be done with work and is a deal breaker to a lot of people. So much so that higher taxes and home costs seem to be things some are willing to trade off for a shorter commute time vs. living further east, stretching that daily commute for lower costs and maybe more property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island