Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 11:39 AM

9,173 posts, read 13,256,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Is it me or does the area to the right look more dense on the bottom.

Is the image correct?

Crooks
If your talking about the bottom circle on Walter's map, that is the northern part of Rosedale, Queens on the left. Parts of southeast Queens still are mostly single family homes and even a few undeveloped lots here and there. For instance, in northern Rosdale there are some homes on Brookville Blvd that still have extra sized lots and even a few without sidewalks.

The right side of the circle is Valley Stream, Nassau County. The area looks more developed because the Valley Stream school districts has been generally considered better than the nearby areas of Queens for a long time. And it was not until the last few decades that LI school taxes got so out of control, making Queens seem increasingly attractive these days.

Unfortunately, much of southeast Queens (and Queens in general) is badly zoned and houses are gradually being replaced by ugly multi-family buildings in some areas.

Anyway, keep in mind this is a small picutre and Queens in general is far more developed than Nassau.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 12:00 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeHudson View Post
Living north of the city it's not distance to the Bronx border, but usually it's either the distance to the GWB or mid-town Manhattan (42st street). Really where is the action and most of the jobs? It's not in the Bronx or Queens...it's Manhattan!

The OP refereed to Ronkonkoma/central Suffolk as way out and IMO I do consider it way out. You have to remember there is only out of LI and that is going west. If one wants to visit New England they have to go all the way around the Long Island sound. When the amount of traffic on Long Island and Queens it seems even more. IMO Long Island should be not measured by miles, but rather by time. 20 miles may seem like it should only take 20-25 minutes, but most likely than not it's can be 40-45+ minutes.

The same case can be said for Long Islanders when it comes to anything north of the city. Most of the ones I meant consider the Hudson Valley to one big farm land and out in the "sticks".
Exactly. You might as well be in East PA if you're East of Nicolls Rd in Suffolk. Actually East PA is faster to the city and anywhere else in the country. It's like East LI without the beaches and some of the nice shore towns. Once you pass the Sag though, youre basically in LI Country.
//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...sterday-i.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...ld-living.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Cheap shot from a guy that lives in a community that, except for certain sections, is nothing more than summer bungalows with heat.

Telecommuting from Rocky Point? First thing is you need electricity to work your computer.
LOL.

I only know a few people that telecommute and it's not even every day of the week. And they only get to do this because they are established with their company for the last decade or more. Plus they still need to be in the city on most days. Telecommuting sounds great though but has not caught on like Crooks thinks it has.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:20 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,272,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I only know a few people that telecommute and it's not even every day of the week. And they only get to do this because they are established with their company for the last decade or more. Plus they still need to be in the city on most days. Telecommuting sounds great though but has not caught on like Crooks thinks it has.
It hasn't caught on here.

In other cities, not only has it caught on, it is encouraged because of things like red ozone days brought on by far too many cars sitting in traffic for far too long belching out far too much pollution. I know quite a few people in communications and publishing who work from home at least two or three days per week, no 10-year tenure required, and they're better at what they do because of it.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:56 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
It hasn't caught on here.

In other cities, not only has it caught on, it is encouraged because of things like red ozone days brought on by far too many cars sitting in traffic for far too long belching out far too much pollution. I know quite a few people in communications and publishing who work from home at least two or three days per week, no 10-year tenure required, and they're better at what they do because of it.
Where has it caught on? I agree with you, it makes perfect sense for jobs where it can be pulled off. The savings on commuting costs, office space, daycare, etc, is probably worth in the tens of thousands to employers/employees. Plus it would open up the pool of employees a company could higher to a much broader range. But for whatever reason it's still only a small percentage of the country that does this. Most likely lower in NY. I'm not sure why it hasn't caught on more like was predicted in the 80s/90's.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:12 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,177,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Cheap shot from a guy that lives in a community that, except for certain sections, is nothing more than summer bungalows with heat.

Telecommuting from Rocky Point? First thing is you need electricity to work your computer.

Im just ball breaking.

Dont worry Gps, that GED will pay off someday when you marry the Queen of RP and move out East for a better life but the point remains the same.

As for Peqs point ...that is valid too.You may still need to spend some time in NYC even with a Telecommute.
Nonetheless, Ronko to NYC is by no means prohibitive at a little over an hour.

Crooks.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:12 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,272,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Where has it caught on? I agree with you, it makes perfect sense for jobs where it can be pulled off. The savings on commuting costs, office space, daycare, etc, is probably worth in the tens of thousands to employers/employees. Plus it would open up the pool of employees a company could higher to a much broader range. But for whatever reason it's still only a small percentage of the country that does this. Most likely lower in NY. I'm not sure why it hasn't caught on more like was predicted in the 80s/90's.
I know a bunch of people in the D.C., San Francisco, and Boston metro areas who telecommute. One thing those three areas have in common is horrendous traffic.

My theory about New York is that it's cultural, but I don't want to open up the floor about it. Suffice to say that it goes hand-in-hand with the general cynicism, negativity, and mistrust of people that permeates the place.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
Lmfao. . . . . .
Belport Lmfao......

Old 10-23-2011, 02:52 PM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
My theory about New York is that it's cultural, but I don't want to open up the floor about it. Suffice to say that it goes hand-in-hand with the general cynicism, negativity, and mistrust of people that permeates the place.
Totally - I used to work with a girl who had telecommunted at her previous job and her boss was always nervous about the arrangement because he "wasn't sure how much you're working" - this was a job with clearly set producitivity goals, everyone of which she was meeting or exceeding. Cynicism and mistrust, indeed.

Meanwhile I had a job a temp a few years ago and my boss wanted me to work more hours...I told her no can do, and I was always caught up anyway. She told me to take work home. Well, I got paid hourly, so who was I to argue?! Needless to say she was one of my favorite bosses ever!

Old 10-23-2011, 04:14 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,897 times
Quote:
I know a bunch of people in the D.C., San Francisco, and Boston metro areas who telecommute. One thing those three areas have in common is horrendous traffic.

You're right and also add the Richmond area to that list. Most of the guys I know are telecommuters. Also Va. has the most Telework Centers in the Country. Trust me it really helps with traffic.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
If your talking about the bottom circle on Walter's map, that is the northern part of Rosedale, Queens on the left. Parts of southeast Queens still are mostly single family homes and even a few undeveloped lots here and there. For instance, in northern Rosdale there are some homes on Brookville Blvd that still have extra sized lots and even a few without sidewalks.

The right side of the circle is Valley Stream, Nassau County. The area looks more developed because the Valley Stream school districts has been generally considered better than the nearby areas of Queens for a long time. And it was not until the last few decades that LI school taxes got so out of control, making Queens seem increasingly attractive these days.

Unfortunately, much of southeast Queens (and Queens in general) is badly zoned and houses are gradually being replaced by ugly multi-family buildings in some areas.

Anyway, keep in mind this is a small picutre and Queens in general is far more developed than Nassau.
Good point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island