Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 11:31 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,438,415 times

Advertisements

Well when I lived in Malverne people would ask where I was from and I would tell them and then they'd say "oh so you live in queens." No, I live in Nassau county duh! Now I live in Islip and if I go out of state people ask where I am from (my Lawn guyland accent is so obvious) I tell them and their response is "so you live by the Hamptons?" I tell them no but that it isn't very far. Why is it when you tell people you are from LI NY they have no clue but if you say you are like 1 hour from Manhattan then they seem to understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 11:34 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,272,092 times
When you are stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic on the Cross Bronx Expressway en route to meeting some friends on the Upper West Side for a lovely afternoon stroll around Central Park, Long Island does indeed seem a million miles away from the city.

Likewise, a commute of nearly 2 hours in each direction will make you aware of the distance.

And finally, Long Island is suburban to its core. There is more to distance than miles. It's dang near another planet out here.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:39 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Why is it when you tell people you are from LI NY they have no clue but if you say you are like 1 hour from Manhattan then they seem to understand.
Ah, the plight of Long Islanders.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:43 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,110,162 times
I don't even mention "New York", I just say that I am from Long Island. I see myself an American first, a Long Islander second, and a New Yorker third.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:24 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,512,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Theres seems to be some kind of mass delusion in Queens East. The truth of the matter is that the internets changes everything.Telecommuting has eliminated time and space for many and the magnet of NYC is not what it was for our parents.
Has it really? How many people are actually "telecommuting" full-time? Maybe 1% of the American workforce, if even that?

Old 10-22-2011, 04:29 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,147,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
When you are stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic on the Cross Bronx Expressway en route to meeting some friends on the Upper West Side for a lovely afternoon stroll around Central Park, Long Island does indeed seem a million miles away from the city.

Likewise, a commute of nearly 2 hours in each direction will make you aware of the distance.

And finally, Long Island is suburban to its core. There is more to distance than miles. It's dang near another planet out here.
That about sums it up.

When I was a kid my relatives would "go to the country" to visit us in the pastoral lands of Clark Street.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:31 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,147,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Has it really? How many people are actually "telecommuting" full-time? Maybe 1% of the American workforce, if even that?
It's a growing number and may increase for some professions when a company wants them but they can't relocate.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:27 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Long Island developed differently, people came out to Long Island to get away from "the city" and that mentality has persisted. In many ways that is a good thing; Long Island is culturally, politically, and economically independent of New York City.

New York City is the symbol of all that is wrong with the United States today: too much immigration and not enough assimilation, too much diversity, too much government regulation, stupid politicians like Bloomberg, etc. I don't blame my fellow LIers for not wanting to be associated with that mess. The sooner the Five Boroughs floats off into the Atlantic the better.
Man we should Hang out

Old 10-22-2011, 06:17 PM

149 posts, read 360,474 times
But the commute time isn't the ACTUAL distance. I can drive like 125 miles in 2 hours...I live 50 miles from Manhattan and 40 from the city border. The commute might feel like 125 miles one way, when in reality it's really only 50 for Manhattan and 40 for Queens. If I can drive 20 minutes to the Robert Moses Bridge and see the NYC skyline on some days, I'm sorry but that can't be considered far. My friend in Melville which is about 25-28 minutes from me told me he was working in an office building in Melville and from the 5th floor could see the Manhattan skyline clearly. It's really our transportation system that sucks and makes it seem so far away (Manhattan not Queens). People seem shocked when I tell them I can make it to the Queens border on an off peak hour in 45 minutes easily...I have even made it in barely 40 some days. They tell me I must be wrong it must take at least an hour, but it's just not true if you drive there on off hours. My record is actually 38 minutes from Queens border to parking at my house but that's crazy and not typical I'll admit . 45 minutes however is the norm for me so I don't feel disconnected from NYC. I understand when people say THE CITY they mean Manhattan, but it throws people off. When explaining to a girl from California that I live about 45 minutes from NYC my friend from Staten Island butted in and said "Are you kidding? You are like an hour and 20 minutes away!" which pissed me off because obviously the START of NYC is Queens. I judge things by borders, not where the biggest buildings are. It's like only considering Riverhead to be Long Island. But technically LI starts at like New Hyde Park. It's so stupid. NYC is NYC. When I cross that border, I am in NYC. It just makes me so mad because 20 miles get lumped on to how far away I live from NYC when it's really BARELY 40 miles...I pass signs by my house everyday that says "NEW YORK 37" referring to miles. I refuse to call myself a country bumpkin when I can drive to NYC in less than an hour easily as long as I plan it at the right time. People in Suffolk will brag about how close they are to the Hamptons when in reality some parts of the Hamptons are just as far as Queens for us. Hell, Queens is closer to Central Suffolk than "out east" by like 10 miles. I just don't get it...be proud to live so close to the greatest city in the world, why deny it? The country is Wyoming, not Long Island. LI is the suburbs of NYC.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:18 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,177,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I'm sorry you push a broom.

; )

All ballbreaking aside most of the Fortune 500 encourage virtual workspace.

I will say that what's true for Nassau is true for WSuffolk too.Other than Gold Coast, not worth the premium it once commanded.

Crooks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island