Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 08:31 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times

Advertisements

Im going to try and talk to my county legislator tomorrow.

Like Peconic said I suggest we call/e-mail/visit their offices. Let them know how outraged We the People of Suffolk County are. Enough is enough!

Old 08-12-2012, 10:46 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetstash View Post
Declare bankruptcy and void all of the contracts. This isn't sustainable.
Oh but it is... but your property taxes will have to double to keep up! Watch and see.

I just can't figure out what happens when folks can't afford their property taxes and no one wants to buy a home with such onerous property taxes. Hooterville?

Parenthetically, Bellone is very typical of LI county executives... he talked a great game while campaigning, but in the end, he's delivering the goods to those he owes and needs. Different face, same game. LI is sunk...

Old 08-13-2012, 06:45 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,998,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetstash View Post
Declare bankruptcy and void all of the contracts. This isn't sustainable.
Tend to agree. The system is so ridiculously broken. The pension obligations alone will kill us all.
None of these guys should make more than an NYC cop, period.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:54 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Tend to agree. The system is so ridiculously broken. The pension obligations alone will kill us all.
None of these guys should make more than an NYC cop, period.

What's funny is when you hear them using this lingo about "oo's". Like they are automatically entitled to a raise every year just for existing. Considering how wildly overcompensated they already are, what do they suspect? You get the feeling the many SCPD lead pretty insulated lives.

I've seen similar when it comes to compensation amongst teachers. When you hear many of them talk amongst themselves, you realize that 10 years outside of private industry getting paid by a captive tax base really leads to warped perceptions of reality. When the district asks for 5% back on something, a few act like they are being driven into poverty. There are a few who dare to say "eh, do you realize how good we have it?"

Considering that the police tend to be more in lockstep in their thinking (god help you if you deviate from the PBA party line), you can only imagine what goes on in the discussion on the grassy knoll overlooking exit 62. Well, you can pretty much figure it out by frequenting LI politics police forum. It's a real head scratcher.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:58 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
What angers me is Suffolk is 300mil in the hole, and just laid of hundreds of lower-paid workers (with more to likely come). How could Bellone have not thought this would become political poison when the details of the contract finally came to light?? How can you possibly justify this to the public?

Old 08-13-2012, 08:17 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
What angers me is Suffolk is 300mil in the hole, and just laid of hundreds of lower-paid workers (with more to likely come). How could Bellone have not thought this would become political poison when the details of the contract finally came to light?? How can you possibly justify this to the public?
Agreed, many of the county workers that are being laid off are barely making more than $60,000/year yet the cops have a base salary two times that, annual raises, and now they get a no layoffs clause ... what the beep

Apparently the Schwartz Report regulars are demanding that whoever took the photo be hunted down and punished. "Classified union information" If I was county executive and knew that that guy/gal's name I would make them Police Commissioner.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Agreed, many of the county workers that are being laid off are barely making more than $60,000/year yet the cops have a base salary two times that, annual raises, and now they get a no layoffs clause ... what the beep

Apparently the Schwartz Report regulars are demanding that whoever took the photo be hunted down and punished. "Classified union information" If I was county executive and knew that that guy/gal's name I would make them Police Commissioner.
What picture is this?

Old 08-13-2012, 08:27 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,998,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
What's funny is when you hear them using this lingo about "oo's". Like they are automatically entitled to a raise every year just for existing. Considering how wildly overcompensated they already are, what do they suspect? You get the feeling the many SCPD lead pretty insulated lives.

I've seen similar when it comes to compensation amongst teachers. When you hear many of them talk amongst themselves, you realize that 10 years outside of private industry getting paid by a captive tax base really leads to warped perceptions of reality. When the district asks for 5% back on something, a few act like they are being driven into poverty. There are a few who dare to say "eh, do you realize how good we have it?"

Considering that the police tend to be more in lockstep in their thinking (god help you if you deviate from the PBA party line), you can only imagine what goes on in the discussion on the grassy knoll overlooking exit 62. Well, you can pretty much figure it out by frequenting LI politics police forum. It's a real head scratcher.
Ah, the LI dream. A good family friend and NCPD Lt. just got engaged to his 15 year-in teacher girlfriend. A nice $327k combined base salary income plus lifetime bennies. Who knew? I get a little sick every time I think about it. Jealous?...you bet your a$$, but really just more insulted and feel like the victim of a crime against reason (and my wallet)....and they wonder why we are resentful.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:34 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,664,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
How many people on here know what went on during negotiations The average pay raise was almost 3%(5.8%) for the years 2011,2012 Suffolk will receive 0%

It is historic by the number of years, 12 steps to top pay, staring pay doesn't change, they're going to pay into healthcare and the two zeros with no retro pay. This has never been done before. Also it was agreed to through negotiations rather than arbitration by a judge.

As far as Bellone being in the PBA's pocket is simply not true. He was going to spare them and they were going to be only union in Suffolk County not to pay into there health benefits but the members balked at the idea. Bellone offered 2 retirement incentives this year. No money was involved, but some assurances to keep free medical until at least 2020 were given. He wanted XXX number of members to retired but none agreed. Who wants to retire on a double 0's. A third idea was being kicked around but Bellone was losing patience, so they decided to crush the unborn. The rest can't be displayed on a public board
All of the above is true except it starts from a base of insanely overpaid public workers to begin with. Bellone would have easily found public support for a shorter contract with NO raises. It is truly amazing how a few thousand public workers can hold hostage over a 1mil private sector workers.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Ah, the LI dream. A good family friend and NCPD Lt. just got engaged to his 15 year-in teacher girlfriend. A nice $327k combined base salary income plus lifetime bennies. Who knew? I get a little sick every time I think about it. Jealous?...you bet your a$$, but really just more insulted and feel like the victim of a crime against reason (and my wallet)....and they wonder why we are resentful.
It's not jealousy based on the fact that someone achieved more than you..they aren't Nobel prize physics wizzes or entrepreneurs who started succesful business. It's simply a system that is slanted towards certain public employees who end up very well off, while everyone else has to foot the bill.

The major problem with New York State in a nutshell. You're not paying massive taxes to fund an extensive and supportive wellfare state..you're paying massive taxes so Joe the Cop and Sally the Teacher can retire before you and make more income per year in pension per year than you will while you're still working 40 hours per week at 65. They then try to turn it into a class warfare argument..."it's Wall Streets fault!!".

No, my property taxes and the sales taxes I pay are not Wall Streets fault, they are directly paying your salaries and pensions. I rail against Wall Street as well because the regular middle class person is taking it from both ends. The cops and teachers are not middle class heros saving good jobs for my kids (as the new Police contract proves, they screw the new guys)..they are simply concerned with making the most money possible from a tax payer that has little or no recourse against them because the system is so screwed up.

And then on top of that, especially with the police, they are really arrogant about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island