Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 08:44 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,458 times

Advertisements

Oh this is not good..we do need leadership and less NIMBY-ism:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/18/op...sit.html?_r=1&
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 09:22 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,111 times
Like i said the place has no industry you have idiots like kathleen walsh running this town into the ground and no tourism
yet they build more thinking people will stay hilarious!

Old 01-18-2013, 10:15 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,229 times
Boy, doesn't this speak volumes:

"...a village mayor, a city manager, town planners and academics — agreed that Long Island has plenty going for it: proximity to the city, world-class research laboratories, an educated work force, great schools and excellent beaches."

Followed by:
"Long Island as we knew it doesn’t work anymore, Mr. Suozzi used to say, as he called for a “New Suburbia.” What’s sad is that so many people are content with the old one. "

We do have excellent beaches though.....

Old 01-18-2013, 10:18 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
Like i said the place has no industry you have idiots like kathleen walsh running this town into the ground and no tourism
yet they build more thinking people will stay hilarious!
They build more big box stores and strip malls mostly... the top participant sport on LI is shopping afterall. The housing market has stagnated for the most part. Main Streets are becoming rows of empty storefronts.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:42 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,036,978 times
I would describe the NY Times as a newspaper in decline. Wouldn't use it to line a bird cage.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:10 AM

791 posts, read 1,622,761 times
This was an opinion piece... Meaning, the opinion of the author was being shared. This wasn't a factual report and "the New York Times" didn't describe Long Island as anything.

OP I feel like your level of alarmism is completely unwarranted. This article has no greater import than any of the 15 page "this is why Long Island is terrible" threads that pop up here all the time. The only difference is the source of the writing - Lawrence Downes happens to be a writer for the NYT, hence he gets to express his opinions there. The rest of us are NOT writers for the NYT, so our opinions get shared here.

Even if you happen to think G-d himself speaks through the NYT's reporters, the article you link was NOT a news report, so I guess I just don't get the point of getting all worked up because of some guy's opinion in a newspaper.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:26 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Now we know mongoose's real name!!!

This article focused on a meeting of the LI Index, which discusses different issues confronting LI every year. This year's topic was mass transit. And this op-ed focuses on the abandoned 3rd track project in Nassau County. Yes, people were opposed to it, but as far as I know the plans were dropped completely at least 3-4 years ago....not long after it was proposed. I think it was as much about feasibility and cost as NIMBYism. The MTA is broke as it is....I think they quickly realized this project was never gonna happen no matter how badly it's needed.

Stirring headline about not really much honestly.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:46 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,907 times
LI's infrastructure and government systems are complete garbage. I can't see a situation in 20 years where the homes in all but the most stellar areas take a huge dive in price.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:33 AM

10 posts, read 36,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
LI's infrastructure and government systems are complete garbage. I can't see a situation in 20 years where the homes in all but the most stellar areas take a huge dive in price.
You may be unfamiliar with the housing market considering you are still wet behind the ears.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:34 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Now we know mongoose's real name!!!

This article focused on a meeting of the LI Index, which discusses different issues confronting LI every year. This year's topic was mass transit. And this op-ed focuses on the abandoned 3rd track project in Nassau County. Yes, people were opposed to it, but as far as I know the plans were dropped completely at least 3-4 years ago....not long after it was proposed. I think it was as much about feasibility and cost as NIMBYism. The MTA is broke as it is....I think they quickly realized this project was never gonna happen no matter how badly it's needed.

Stirring headline about not really much honestly.
Well other parts of the MTA Network like Connecticut , Westchester have Expanded there systems and reaped the benefits....same with Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island