Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2013, 12:47 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
White and Asian are now the same? Stony Brook University isn't diverse because the majority of students are white and Asian?

To some people, diversity only seems to mean "has a decent number of Blacks and/or Hispanics".

A lot of these Southern areas are white, black, and little if anyone else. That's not exactly diverse either.
I'm not saying White and Asian are the same - I'm saying there's a direct correlation to the racial make-up of a district and it's "quality". The "Southern areas" relative to this discussion mimic the racial make-up of the better LI districts - so you (you metaphorically, not you specifically) aren't making much sense when arguing this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 01:25 PM

639 posts, read 1,123,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Not true, especially on the socio-economics. You clearly don't know Massapequa. I'd even go further and say my immediate area is more ethnically diverse than many of the so-called "diverse" towns on LI.
My second cousins live there. My mom's old time friend lives in Massapequa and her son goes to the high school, so I'm quite familiar with it. There are some upper-middle class sections, but Massapequa is overwhelmingly middle class from what I've seen and heard from people that live and go to school there.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:49 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
And how did it affect your grades in spelling and English and on written papers throughout your tenure as a student on Long Island and in college in America? It is unusual that someone living in America ignored and refused to learn American spellings in favor of using the spellings of a parent from a foreign country. I have never seen that before from any other person whose parents came from a place where they used the Queen's English. Were your early childhood school years spent in England?
I dont know, I went to college and grad school and I'm very successful now so how do you think it affected me? It DIDNT- thats how. And I've spent a bunch of summers there with my mom's family. She goes a few times a year and I've picked up some things. So what?

Old 06-24-2013, 05:57 PM

67 posts, read 110,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I dont know, I went to college and grad school and I'm very successful now so how do you think it affected me? It DIDNT- thats how. And I've spent a bunch of summers there with my mom's family. She goes a few times a year and I've picked up some things. So what?
Very successful people do not get in trouble for being late to work. They also make more than 5 figures.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:59 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsarcastic View Post
Very successful people do not get in trouble for being late to work. They also make more than 5 figures.
Success is a relative term. Not everyone equates success with "making more than 5 figures".

Old 06-24-2013, 07:49 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Not everyone equates success with "making more than 5 figures".
Those making less than 6 figures generally say this.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Old 06-24-2013, 08:07 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Those making less than 6 figures generally say this.

Well your assumption happens to be flat out wrong in this case. Sorry to inform you.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:33 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
Quote:
Well your assumption happens to be flat out wrong in this case. Sorry to inform you.
Sarcasm seems to be lost on you.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:51 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Yeah because i waste my time googling all about a place i've never been to...

I posted something about the OBI in the old restaurants of LI thread. Google wasnt even around then. Why would I bother coming into this thread to talk about Long Island if I didnt live here ever?
You asked how, not why.

"How would I know about school names and town names and roadways and restaurants if I wasnt from here?"

Old 06-25-2013, 06:09 AM

67 posts, read 110,966 times
Quote:
Success is a relative term. Not everyone equates success with "making more than 5 figures".
I totaaly agree...but based on her posting history she is clearly a low level employee paid hourly. Nothing wrong with that at all....but I bet the attitude is different IRL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island