Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2013, 11:01 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,823,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
But what makes you think you wouldnt waste money elsewhere? Everyone is entitled to how they feel but people seem to think that moving away will just be the answer to everything and everything will be peachy keen.
It depends on where one goes. I went to a place where my taxes are 75% less and that money gets spent a lot more wisely than on it did on LI. I think we are down to less than half of the taxing authorities that we had in Massapequa Park. for those that move, if they do their research, things can work out better for them than the did on LI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 12:42 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerphysio View Post
So if I'm reading your response to I Love LI (and your last paragraph above) you are proud to have had the opportunity to interact with other religious groups, nationalities, etc, but the "southern" way of life is unacceptable?

I also enjoyed my upbringing in NY, and the ability to experience multiple cultures. I have now lived in the epicenter of the civil rights movement (Birmingham) for the past 19 years, and I can assure you that the south you reference is LONG gone in many regions, at least in the bigger metropolitan areas. Believe it or not, we also have Indians, Spanish, Asians, Muslims, Jews and gays down here...hell, we even have some Italians . I know this may be hard to believe, but "race relations" are much better here than I remember on LI (at least in my neck of the woods down here).

The south isn't really like all the redneck shows you see on tv...
Those shows are so extreme it sets back the image of the south by several decades ...

Old 06-22-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Good thing you weren't in a position of having to leave another country to come here for a better life. I guess you'd rather have stayed in that country and starved than OMG HAVE YOUR KIDS SPEAK DIFFERENTLY!!! My Irish grandfather must be rolling in his grave that I don't speak with a brogue. He definitely should have stayed in Ireland, so he could've died or raised his family in abject poverty. Pity my dad went on to college what with his Amer-ick-keen accent and all. That's all that matters. As for taking on values outside the family - sometimes it's so obvious you have no kids. Seriously.
I know several families that are split. Yankee parents and sometimes yankee older kids vs. rebel younger children. It is an interesting cultural divide to say the least. The accent is the least of it.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
Sound clips, or it didn't happen
Now that would be interesting!

Old 06-22-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC here I come View Post
I just received my water bill today.... so since Jdawg told me it's all my fault for rising costs of LI, I'm no longer able to shower or shave. Can anyone spare a few babywipes for me??? :P
Ironically, water is the one utility that tends to be reasonable on LI. Perhaps it will even be more expensive for you when you get to SC. Seriously. Not kidding.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:15 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Are you saving for retirement?

Future child/children's college?

Putting an emergency fund together?

And why do you think that people only live in 4000sqft mansions?
My husband and I have 401k's through work. My company matches 100% of what I put in.

We are on the fence as to whether we want kids. I work long hours and sometimes I travel, so no, at the moment no account for a future child.

I realise it would be harder to live here if we had a child and if we were 100% sure we wanted kids, We would have to rethink the way we spend our $$.

Last edited by Jdawg8181; 06-22-2013 at 01:48 PM..

Old 06-22-2013, 01:32 PM

93,402 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
So familiar with it you can't even spell it.

You're so wrong on all counts I don't even know where to begin....so I'm just not gonna bother. There are ~20 flags at any given time in the front hall of our school representing the different countries that students are from....not DESCENDED from, actually from. Just for starters.

The idea that diversity is in ANY way celebrated let alone a fact of life on Long Island is beyond laughable and everyone here knows it deep down inside. Show me a school on LI as diverse as ours here and I'll show you a town no one wants to live in, and that's a fact, meanwhile CARY remains an extremely popular re-location destination for both out of staters and native NCers alike.
Perhaps districts like Half Hollow Hills, Deer Park, much of Baldwin, North Babylon, Elwood, Harborfields, Manhasset and perhaps Farmingdale, among maybe some others seem to appeal to a range of people.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:47 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Perhaps districts like Half Hollow Hills, Deer Park, much of Baldwin, North Babylon, Elwood, Harborfields, Manhasset and perhaps Farmingdale, among maybe some others seem to appeal to a range of people.
Bellmore-Merrick is diverse as well.

Old 06-22-2013, 02:44 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,031,455 times
Quote:
So familiar with it you can't even spell it.

You're so wrong on all counts I don't even know where to begin....so I'm just not gonna bother. There are ~20 flags at any given time in the front hall of our school representing the different countries that students are from....not DESCENDED from, actually from. Just for starters.

The idea that diversity is in ANY way celebrated let alone a fact of life on Long Island is beyond laughable and everyone here knows it deep down inside. Show me a school on LI as diverse as ours here and I'll show you a town no one wants to live in, and that's a fact, meanwhile CARY remains an extremely popular re-location destination for both out of staters and native NCers alike.
I agree - it's laughable... honestly. You have the general argument you're addressing here and those who won't be raising kids spouting like they know what they're talking about - in either case it's basically decades old mentality based on stereotypes and "what they heard from their 2nd cousin's friend or read on the intraweb". As expats, we know (actually see it with our own eyes)... They can't understand. It's like that old lady who can't smell the pet odors in their house because they live in it day in and day out - then shocked and insulted when someone points it out. They can't smell it and it's their home, so the other people are wrong.

Old 06-22-2013, 02:57 PM

^^^
Well, what do you expect?

This subject has become one of our prime bickering points! Just like:

Which school district is one tenth of a percentage point ranked higher than another OR
Police compensation on Long Island OR
Public sector civil service compensation (teachers and school administrators we're looking at you) OR
Public school costs and their effect on property taxes OR
[fill in the blank]!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island