Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2013, 06:15 AM

289 posts, read 399,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
One area that's diverse? I can name 2: Bellmore and Long Beach.

I am aware the KKK existed in the north but probably not as far as LI and def not to the extent of the south.

I say Long Island is awesome. That doesnt mean it's perfect. Awesome and perfect are 2 different things. Long Island could use changing in certain areas- so could everywhere else in the world. No city is going to be absolutely perfect.

Ever think maybe the people who are telling you they love it in their new place could be fibbing a little? No one likes to think they are wrong and it is hard to admit when you are. Thats why maybe they could have told you "this new place is going to better." It is hard to admit to a friend or family member sometimes that what you thought isnt what happened. Or I can be wrong and they really do like it. No way of knowing though so thats really rather moot.
I guess you do not remember the kkk rally / cross burning Suffolk Co in the 90's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 06:58 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Diverse does not mean two groups of people occupying the same island but in extremely different blocks of land.

I sure hope you're not talking east of Park Pl, north of Park Ave and west of Long Beach Blvd.

Having an almost fenced-off area of minorities in a generally White neighborhood does not mean diverse.

City-Data has the following chart:

Hell, Hicksville is more diverse:

Can't the same be said about your apparent love affair with Long Island?
If I didnt love LI, I wouldnt try to defend it to the extent that I do. If people want to think I dont like it, thats fine. Or maybe they are jealous that I can afford to live here and they cant.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:03 AM

913 posts, read 886,523 times
I loved growing up as a Long Islander. I only moved to New City NY when I got married because of my husbands commute to the Bronx. We moved to Cary NC 8/12 and are loving it. We couldn't stand the winters anymore. We still have 4 seasons, great schools for my 7 yr old, a beautiful new home and a great community to live in and raise a child. The only thing I really miss is great seafood (City Island),family and bagels, so that is where we go on our frequent trips to see family.
All I can say is if you can't see yourself living somewhere else, then don't. But to anyone who wonders if they can be happy elsewhere, I would say go for it. It is a big beautiful country with many wonderful places to live. Just do your research to find what is important for you. I am glad I did.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:06 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,975,486 times
Quote:
If I didnt love LI, I wouldnt try to defend it to the extent that I do. If people want to think I dont like it, thats fine. Or maybe they are jealous that I can afford to live here and they cant.
But you already admitted that you have to make sacrifices to live on LI. That's not "affording to live there" .. that's "barely making ends meet" .. If you're happy making sacrifices to make ends meet, then good for you. I couldn't care less, but don't try to kid yourself for one minute that you are better than other people for suffering through it.

But regardless, it's funny how the same quote from you doesn't apply to you.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:07 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,823,517 times
Quote:
Diverse does not mean two groups of people occupying the same island but in extremely different blocks of land.

I sure hope you're not talking east of Park Pl, north of Park Ave and west of Long Beach Blvd.

Having an almost fenced-off area of minorities in a generally White neighborhood does not mean diverse.

City-Data has the following chart:

Hell, Hicksville is more diverse:

Can't the same be said about your apparent love affair with Long Island?
No, I think Jdawg lives in the melting pot area of Massapequa Park....

Old 06-22-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
No, I think Jdawg lives in the melting pot area of Massapequa Park....

I was half thinking Garden City.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:10 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
Quote:
But you already admitted that you have to make sacrifices to live on LI. That's not "affording to live there" .. that's "barely making ends meet" .. If you're happy making sacrifices to make ends meet, then good for you. I couldn't care less, but don't try to kid yourself for one minute that you are better than other people for suffering through it.

But regardless, it's funny how the same quote from you doesn't apply to you.
I'm not suffering bc I'm sacrificing some things. I dont need a luxury car. Even if I were rich, I wouldnt want one. I dont need a humungous house for only me and my husband. Having 2 people in a gigantic home is just ridiculous. I'm def not just "barely making ends meet." We just went to Europe for our anniversary. We sacrifice some things to be able to have the life we want- it doesnt mean we are suffering.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
I'm not suffering bc I'm sacrificing some things. I dont need a luxury car. Even if I were rich, I wouldnt want one. I dont need a humungous house for only me and my husband. Having 2 people in a gigantic home is just ridiculous. I'm def not just "barely making ends meet." We just went to Europe for our anniversary. We sacrifice some things to be able to have the life we want- it doesnt mean we are suffering.
Are you saving for retirement?

Future child/children's college?

Putting an emergency fund together?

And why do you think that people only live in 4000sqft mansions?

Old 06-22-2013, 07:13 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,102,322 times
Quote:
One area that's diverse? I can name 2: Bellmore and Long Beach.

I am aware the KKK existed in the north but probably not as far as LI and def not to the extent of the south.

I say Long Island is awesome. That doesnt mean it's perfect. Awesome and perfect are 2 different things. Long Island could use changing in certain areas- so could everywhere else in the world. No city is going to be absolutely perfect.

Ever think maybe the people who are telling you they love it in their new place could be fibbing a little? No one likes to think they are wrong and it is hard to admit when you are. Thats why maybe they could have told you "this new place is going to better." It is hard to admit to a friend or family member sometimes that what you thought isnt what happened. Or I can be wrong and they really do like it. No way of knowing though so thats really rather moot.
I won't deny the presence of the KKK in locations in the south but with that said it along with every other hate group is located in the north. Your genedralizations at times sound like something from the 50's..

Why is it so hard to believe that someone who moves can be happy? Most people who are moving are either doing it because their career requires it or because they have chosen to take a job elsewhere. Do you really think someone throws a dart at a map and says lets move here...

People reasearch there potential new homes and evaluate the quality of life they are going to have. Believe it or not there are educated people, excellant schools, nice living options and even bagels (depending on location) beyond the LI shores. You are correct and you don't have a way of knowing if someone is happy with their relocation but why do you appear so horrified that someone could be happy especially down south???

Old 06-22-2013, 07:22 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,891,080 times
Quote:
sacrificing cars and big homes is easier than sacrificing family,friends and a way of life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island