Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2013, 07:23 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
First of all, most of the areas that Long Islanders are moving to down south are cookie cutter suburbs filled with chain restaurants and malls, and you drive everywhere, it's just all newer. There is little different about the actual lifestyle, there are just fewer pizza and bagel joints, and the people who already live there are sometimes not fond of New Yorkers. It's not like you're moving from Manhattan to cookie cutter Carey NC.

The other thing I've noticed is that there is no real "diversity" in most of these areas..it's caucasian's and blacks and not much of anyone else.
So familiar with it you can't even spell it.

You're so wrong on all counts I don't even know where to begin....so I'm just not gonna bother. There are ~20 flags at any given time in the front hall of our school representing the different countries that students are from....not DESCENDED from, actually from. Just for starters.

The idea that diversity is in ANY way celebrated let alone a fact of life on Long Island is beyond laughable and everyone here knows it deep down inside. Show me a school on LI as diverse as ours here and I'll show you a town no one wants to live in, and that's a fact, meanwhile CARY remains an extremely popular re-location destination for both out of staters and native NCers alike.

Last edited by twingles; 06-21-2013 at 07:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 07:29 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
How are you going to feel when your child has a totally different accent and way of speaking than you and your wife and takes on the values of his friends and community instead of yours ... in sum, he's a "southerner" and you and your wife are not? How will it feel to have a culturally fractured family?
You would be amazed how much the kids pick up from their parents. Both of mine are born & raised in Virginia and to quote my younger daughter "Southern Born Yankee Raised..." Trust me it will come through...

Old 06-21-2013, 07:30 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
How are you going to feel when your child has a totally different accent and way of speaking than you and your wife and takes on the values of his friends and community instead of yours ... in sum, he's a "southerner" and you and your wife are not? How will it feel to have a culturally fractured family?
Good thing you weren't in a position of having to leave another country to come here for a better life. I guess you'd rather have stayed in that country and starved than OMG HAVE YOUR KIDS SPEAK DIFFERENTLY!!! My Irish grandfather must be rolling in his grave that I don't speak with a brogue. He definitely should have stayed in Ireland, so he could've died or raised his family in abject poverty. Pity my dad went on to college what with his Amer-ick-keen accent and all. That's all that matters. As for taking on values outside the family - sometimes it's so obvious you have no kids. Seriously.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:47 PM

289 posts, read 399,865 times
[quote=soccerphysio;30131550]So if I'm reading your response to I Love LI (and your last paragraph above) you are proud to have had the opportunity to interact with other religious groups, nationalities, etc, but the "southern" way of life is unacceptable?

I also enjoyed my upbringing in NY, and the ability to experience multiple cultures. I have now lived in the epicenter of the civil rights movement (Birmingham) for the past 19 years, and I can assure you that the south you reference is LONG gone in many regions, at least in the bigger metropolitan areas. Believe it or not, we also have Indians, Spanish, Asians, Muslims, Jews and gays down here...hell, we even have some Italians . I know this may be hard to believe, but "race relations" are much better here than I remember on LI (at least in my neck of the woods down here).

The south isn't really like all the redneck shows you see on

Nice.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:41 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,725,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
No we should work together to fix the problems not walk away from them.
That's cute

In one breath you say Long Island is so awesome, then you say we need to change it. Obviously people want different things from where they live, so instead of trying to make Long Island a jack of all trades but master at none, let people move where they are happy.

Quote:

Just as I may have generalised that people move to new places and dont like it, how do you know that they do? And just bc people dont move back to LI doesnt mean they necessarily like where they are either, it just means they dont have the means, funds, motivation whatever it is to move back.
Because they tell me how much they love it down there. When I talk to them or visit them, they're elated about where they are. I think all my friends who have moved definitely admitted to making a huge adjustment, but they found it worth it. I do know a couple of people who didn't like where they moved-- one came back, another toughed it out. As you said, coming back isn't easy.

Quote:

Long Island isnt perfect but it sure beats a lot of places in the country. I for one love the diversity here. The south seems to be where everyone is going and it's not so diverse. Some ppl maybe this doesnt matter to but I like the fact that my neighbors are from all religions, nationalities and races. I also like that I live in an area that is very gay friendly.
You mean one of the most segregated regions in the US? Just look at how harsh the few intergrated neighborhoods we have on Long Island are trashed on these forums.

Quote:

This is why I say grass isnt greener. Maybe you dont have any gay friends but I have a ton and it's nice that they can live in a place where they are accepted.
Just like Long Island, there's places in the south where they are accepted (like ATL and RTP) and places that they're not so welcomed.

Quote:
This. And that he may go to school with many many white people and not many asians or muslims or spanish. I dunno, I it's important to teach your kids at young age to be tolerant. If the majority of people are white, it will be very hard later on in life when he does encounter a muslim or someone else not considered "caucasian". Thats why crap like the KKK existed in the south and not the north. I am also not saying everyonr in the south is like that- but lets not kid ourselves- most people here are very excepting of others who are not the majority cookie-cutter white person.

I am proud to have had the chance to go to school with Indians, Spanish, Asians, Muslims, Jews, gays etc. It is something every young child should experience and one of the many reasons I would not move to the south.
You do realize the KKK, while having a dominant presence in the south, was indeed in the north too. Again, there are definitely areas where I as a black male would not live for this very reason. The same reason I'd never move to many of the neighborhoods on Long Island. Diversity is different than integration.

Again, you're painting the entire south with a very broad brush. You can't tell me there are areas of Long Island that don't have this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerphysio View Post
I agree with you there, it does depend on where you go I suppose. It just amazes me how many "Northerners" are still clinging to decades old stereotypes of the south, without ever stepping foot past the Mason-Dixon Line, unless it was for a 15 minute restroom break on their road trip to Florida.

I do have to say, that I heard/saw much more evidence of racism on LI growing up than I have down here.
Oh, I have some LOVELY stories about blatant racism (a la 1950s) that happened to me here on Long Island. I also have some fun stories about minorities moving into neighborhoods they were unwelcomed in.

Does it happen on Long Island? In certain neighborhoods, yes. Does it happen in the south? In certain neighborhoods, yes. Does it mean I'd never live on Long Island or the south? No.

Quote:
I left LI for Birmingham when I was 25 to start my career, with the intention of returning after 2-3 years. I met a southern girl, got married, and felt like I was "stuck" here, especially after starting a family. I desperately wanted to return for years, and actually had a lot of resentment about my situation here. But when I finally realized that I was being more nostalgic that realistic, and we could not enjoy the same "luxuries" up there due to the cost of living, I realized I have a pretty damn good life here!

I don't blame anyone for feeling like LI doesn't work for them and they feel the need to leave, nor do I blame LI'ers who staunchly defend their home. But I will say that many NY'ers (and posters here) act like anyone who posts they are living a good life elsewhere are fooling themselves. Happiness CAN be found elsewhere , it just may not be everyone's cup of tea, just like LI may not be for everyone.
Exactly, everyone needs to do what's best for them. I know it seems like I'm being harsh on Long Island on this thread, but I had to swing to the opposite far end to balance some of the nonsense posted here.

In the end, some fare better staying on Long Island, and some fare better leaving. It's that simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
So familiar with it you can't even spell it.

You're so wrong on all counts I don't even know where to begin....so I'm just not gonna bother. There are ~20 flags at any given time in the front hall of our school representing the different countries that students are from....not DESCENDED from, actually from. Just for starters.

The idea that diversity is in ANY way celebrated let alone a fact of life on Long Island is beyond laughable and everyone here knows it deep down inside. Show me a school on LI as diverse as ours here and I'll show you a town no one wants to live in, and that's a fact, meanwhile CARY remains an extremely popular re-location destination for both out of staters and native NCers alike.
Tell it, Twingles! Can somebody name ONE neighborhood on Long Island that is actually diverse? Bonus: Of any you can think of, find one that isn't dragged through the mud on this forum.

Quote:
Good thing you weren't in a position of having to leave another country to come here for a better life. I guess you'd rather have stayed in that country and starved than OMG HAVE YOUR KIDS SPEAK DIFFERENTLY!!! My Irish grandfather must be rolling in his grave that I don't speak with a brogue. He definitely should have stayed in Ireland, so he could've died or raised his family in abject poverty. Pity my dad went on to college what with his Amer-ick-keen accent and all. That's all that matters. As for taking on values outside the family - sometimes it's so obvious you have no kids. Seriously.
^^ Twingles, if CD didn't have this spread the wealth system, you'd have something like 5,000 reps from me

Let me be crystal clear-- I loved my upbringing here on Long Island, and if I could do it all over again, I'd still be Long Island born and raised However, I can't get with some of these myopic posts that don't portray Long Island in an honest light-- and I'm talking about both sides. Yes, many people are leaving Long Island, but many people stay put and love it there. To whoever said Long Island will be the next Detroit, get real

Old 06-21-2013, 10:47 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,897 times
Quote:
Spot on

My Grandfather and Grandmother didn't speak one word of English and both had extremely different dialects since one was from the north and the other southern Italy. My mother half German and French spoke with a European accent. My father spoke ItaEnglish!

My wife speaks with a strong British with some west Indies mixed in accent. I speak like I was dropped straight out of Bensonhurst and I've learned to speak Italian with a southern drawl Do you real think I care if my children picked up a slight southern accent There are worse things that could happen. As far as being different, I like to be unique and trust me our family tends to stick out here and in a good way

Old 06-21-2013, 10:57 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,725,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Spot on

My Grandfather and Grandmother didn't speak one word of English and both had extremely different dialects since one was from the north and the other southern Italy. My mother half German and French spoke with a European accent. My father spoke ItaEnglish!

My wife speaks with a strong British with some west Indies mixed in accent. I speak like I was dropped straight out of Bensonhurst and I've learned to speak Italian with a southern drawl Do you real think I care if my children picked up a slight southern accent There are worse things that could happen. As far as being different, I like to be unique and trust me our family tends to stick out here and in a good way
Sound clips, or it didn't happen

Old 06-21-2013, 10:57 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
That's cute

In one breath you say Long Island is so awesome, then you say we need to change it. Obviously people want different things from where they live, so instead of trying to make Long Island a jack of all trades but master at none, let people move where they are happy.

Because they tell me how much they love it down there. When I talk to them or visit them, they're elated about where they are. I think all my friends who have moved definitely admitted to making a huge adjustment, but they found it worth it. I do know a couple of people who didn't like where they moved-- one came back, another toughed it out. As you said, coming back isn't easy.

You mean one of the most segregated regions in the US? Just look at how harsh the few intergrated neighborhoods we have on Long Island are trashed on these forums.

Just like Long Island, there's places in the south where they are accepted (like ATL and RTP) and places that they're not so welcomed.

You do realize the KKK, while having a dominant presence in the south, was indeed in the north too. Again, there are definitely areas where I as a black male would not live for this very reason. The same reason I'd never move to many of the neighborhoods on Long Island. Diversity is different than integration.

Again, you're painting the entire south with a very broad brush. You can't tell me there are areas of Long Island that don't have this problem.

Oh, I have some LOVELY stories about blatant racism (a la 1950s) that happened to me here on Long Island. I also have some fun stories about minorities moving into neighborhoods they were unwelcomed in.

Does it happen on Long Island? In certain neighborhoods, yes. Does it happen in the south? In certain neighborhoods, yes. Does it mean I'd never live on Long Island or the south? No.

Exactly, everyone needs to do what's best for them. I know it seems like I'm being harsh on Long Island on this thread, but I had to swing to the opposite far end to balance some of the nonsense posted here.

In the end, some fare better staying on Long Island, and some fare better leaving. It's that simple.

Tell it, Twingles! Can somebody name ONE neighborhood on Long Island that is actually diverse? Bonus: Of any you can think of, find one that isn't dragged through the mud on this forum.

^^ Twingles, if CD didn't have this spread the wealth system, you'd have something like 5,000 reps from me

Let me be crystal clear-- I loved my upbringing here on Long Island, and if I could do it all over again, I'd still be Long Island born and raised However, I can't get with some of these myopic posts that don't portray Long Island in an honest light-- and I'm talking about both sides. Yes, many people are leaving Long Island, but many people stay put and love it there. To whoever said Long Island will be the next Detroit, get real
One area that's diverse? I can name 2: Bellmore and Long Beach.

I am aware the KKK existed in the north but probably not as far as LI and def not to the extent of the south.

I say Long Island is awesome. That doesnt mean it's perfect. Awesome and perfect are 2 different things. Long Island could use changing in certain areas- so could everywhere else in the world. No city is going to be absolutely perfect.

Ever think maybe the people who are telling you they love it in their new place could be fibbing a little? No one likes to think they are wrong and it is hard to admit when you are. Thats why maybe they could have told you "this new place is going to better." It is hard to admit to a friend or family member sometimes that what you thought isnt what happened. Or I can be wrong and they really do like it. No way of knowing though so thats really rather moot.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:37 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,867,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
First of all, most of the areas that Long Islanders are moving to down south are cookie cutter suburbs filled with chain restaurants and malls, and you drive everywhere, it's just all newer. There is little different about the actual lifestyle, there are just fewer pizza and bagel joints, and the people who already live there are sometimes not fond of New Yorkers. It's not like you're moving from Manhattan to cookie cutter Carey NC.

The other thing I've noticed is that there is no real "diversity" in most of these areas..it's caucasian's and blacks and not much of anyone else.
I traveled to RT area on business a few years ago. The area around Duke has many very good international choices for restaurants and bars, and it has a world class hospital as well.

And with all the high tech companies operating in RTP, the area has actually attracted very bright people from around the world. They are professionals with masters and doctorates who value education. The only place in LI that's not a Manhattan bedroom community where you can find a similar concentration but to a much smaller scale is Stony Brook.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:47 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,975,486 times
Quote:
One area that's diverse? I can name 2: Bellmore and Long Beach.
Diverse does not mean two groups of people occupying the same island but in extremely different blocks of land.

I sure hope you're not talking east of Park Pl, north of Park Ave and west of Long Beach Blvd.

Having an almost fenced-off area of minorities in a generally White neighborhood does not mean diverse.

City-Data has the following chart:

Hell, Hicksville is more diverse:

Quote:
Ever think maybe the people who are telling you they love it in their new place could be fibbing a little? No one likes to think they are wrong and it is hard to admit when you are.
Can't the same be said about your apparent love affair with Long Island?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island