Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2013, 01:07 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,725,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Ok what about Baldwin then? Specifically north.
Agreed on Baldwin, but then it rams right into my second question-- that neighborhood (along with Valley Stream, among others) gets dragged through the mud for being inferior somehow. Baldwin, Valley Stream, Freeport, and Uniondale are the only neighborhoods I can think of that actually have people of different ethnicities living together, instead of being in their own enclaves, like most of Long Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 04:58 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
Agreed on Baldwin, but then it rams right into my second question-- that neighborhood (along with Valley Stream, among others) gets dragged through the mud for being inferior somehow. Baldwin, Valley Stream, Freeport, and Uniondale are the only neighborhoods I can think of that actually have people of different ethnicities living together, instead of being in their own enclaves, like most of Long Island.
That isnt true. I grew up in the riviera- one other white family on our block besides us. Granted the areas you mentioned are probably more diverse than some other areas but that doesnt mean everywhere on LI isnt. I will say Wantagh is pretty white, but Bellmore isnt like a crazy amount one way or another. I dont care what the figures say- they arent accurate bc not everyone chooses to fill out the census. Spend a day in Bellmore- it's up there with diversity.

I would say Hicksville is diverse as well. Lots of Indians, but lots of whites and other races too.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:09 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
That isnt true. I grew up in the riviera- one other white family on our block besides us. Granted the areas you mentioned are probably more diverse than some other areas but that doesnt mean everywhere on LI isnt. I will say Wantagh is pretty white, but Bellmore isnt like a crazy amount one way or another. I dont care what the figures say- they arent accurate bc not everyone chooses to fill out the census. Spend a day in Bellmore- it's up there with diversity.

I would say Hicksville is diverse as well. Lots of Indians, but lots of whites and other races too.
almost everyone on LI fills out the census because they come to the door and harass u until they do....this isn't the wild west where you are greeted with a shotgun at the door. also you cant claim LI is great because its so populous and then say the census is wrong

hicksville is continually slammed for their schools here....continuing to prove the point.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:21 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,031,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
... School Segregation on LI Twice U.S. Average ...
Yup - how people fool themselves. Using the word "diversity" and LI in the same sentence is an oxymoron... There is none. The SDs where you see whites dip into the 80%s, you begin talking about districts that nobody wants or will touch. The best districts will be 90%s with whites and asians combined... many as high as 97, 98+ %.

Socioeconomics at its best - just the way LIers like it.

btw - to prove the incorrect posts of the childless one here ^^ discussing schools (which she'll never use):

2 HSs in Merrick-Bellmore... 95% White and 85% White... that's "up there" in diversity for sure.

and lastly on this entire topic... people fled the city and went to LI - White Flight... well documented and clearly part of the history of how and why LI was formed as suburbia... people left to raise families. Now decades later they're fleeing again.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:31 AM

93,402 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Diversity and integration aren't necessarily the same. Places can be diverse, but segregated.

Also, segregation seems to be discussed in relative or comparative terms.

Lastly, I'll say that even if a district isn't suggested or preferred doesnt mean that it is bad academically, because sometimes the information will show otherwise. For an example, the Rush-Henrietta SD in suburban Rochester is one of the most diverse suburban SD's in Upstate NY(about 30-33% minority). It doesn't get suggested as much as some other area districts, but when looking at graduation rates, all groups are in the high 80's-mid 90's in that regard and test scores are above average, for the most part. So, sometimes it is a matter of people doing their own research.

I'll go back Upstate now.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:39 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,897 times
Quote:
Long Island has 124 school districts: Nassau County has 56 and Suffolk County has 68, placing them seventh and fourth—out of 3,066 counties nationwide—in the number of districts per county. Each of these 124 school districts acts as a completely autonomous taxing authority. This makes it impossible to effectively allocate resources to meet the needs of every student.
75 percent of Long Island school districts have fewer than 5,500 students. Long Island has some of the highest property taxes in the nation; and for the amount that is spent on taxes, the quality of education should be much higher. Inefficiencies in school spending are largely the result of the region’s segregated school districts. In comparison to the rest of the State, and the nation, Long Island is unusual, both in how many school districts it has and how economically segregated they are.
On average, wealthier districts spend nearly $8,000 more per student per year than poorer districts.
Long Island is the third most racially segregated suburban region in America. Our racially segregated neighborhoods produce racially and economically segregated classrooms. This means that black and Latino students are systematically denied access to well-funded schools and as a result are denied the opportunity for a high quality education.
Also I don't need the census to tell me L.I. Is segregated and even racist.... I saw it, lived it, experienced with my wife.. Say what you want about the south and the rest of the country my wife and I are more accepted everywhere else but the island, a place in which I was born and raised.

Last edited by BigMike50; 06-24-2013 at 07:53 AM..

Old 06-24-2013, 08:03 AM

289 posts, read 399,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Also I don't need the census to tell me L.I. Is segregated and even racist.... I saw it, lived it, experienced with my wife.. Say what you want about the south and the rest of the country my wife and I are more accepted everywhere else but the island, a place in which I was born and raised.
Is it possible the residents of LI are not aware it ? Maybe they never lived in a place truly diversified?

Old 06-24-2013, 08:13 AM

93,402 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
What about Deer Park, Dix Hills, Wheatley Heights, Bridgehampton, Roslyn Heights, West Hempstead, Baywood, Bay Shore and Greenport, among some others?

Old 06-24-2013, 08:13 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,858 times
Quote:
Are you saying that all white people are of the same ethnicity? That's about as silly (and racist) as saying all brown/dark skinned people are the same ethnicity. When you expand your mind and allow yourself to see things beyond just skin color, you will see that LI has plenty of diversity.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:48 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Yup - how people fool themselves. Using the word "diversity" and LI in the same sentence is an oxymoron... There is none. The SDs where you see whites dip into the 80%s, you begin talking about districts that nobody wants or will touch. The best districts will be 90%s with whites and asians combined... many as high as 97, 98+ %.

Socioeconomics at its best - just the way LIers like it.

btw - to prove the incorrect posts of the childless one here ^^ discussing schools (which she'll never use):

2 HSs in Merrick-Bellmore... 95% White and 85% White... that's "up there" in diversity for sure.

and lastly on this entire topic... people fled the city and went to LI - White Flight... well documented and clearly part of the history of how and why LI was formed as suburbia... people left to raise families. Now decades later they're fleeing again.
Did you grow up in Bellmore-Merrick? If you didnt, you wouldnt know. I've lived in many places as a kid and Bellmore was one of them. I saw the diversity first hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island