Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 07:44 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
Really depends. Right now I'm looking at Raleigh-- I'll probably take a trip down there soon to scout it out.

Other contenders include Atlanta, Charlotte, DC, and New Castle County, DE (why don't more LIers look there??).

I thought about Chicago, because I love it there (especially Evanston), but I can't deal with the winters.

I'd love to try out Texas (Austin, Dallas, Houston) or California (SoCal, in particular), but I want to remain within driving distance of Long Island.

I finish my masters degree in December, so we'll see what happens then.
Delaware is like a forgotten state, true. You can definitely get cheap newer housing and still be a half days drive from LI.

Not to give any more fodder to the resident big ego, but why are you skipping over the Richmond VA area?

The streetcar suburbs of Chicago are beautiful..there are like 5 or 6 Garden City type neighborhoods with little downtowns that are beautiful, but it's not much less expensive than Long Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 07:55 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,725,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Delaware is like a forgotten state, true. You can definitely get cheap newer housing and still be a half days drive from LI.
Not even... I can get there in three hours flat! I know of some people who actually kept their NYC jobs and commute up twice a week (<2.5 hour train ride to Penn Station) while telecommuting the rest of the week.

It's sad that Delaware goes forgotten-- it fits the bill for what most Long Islanders describe they want, and it's so close. Philly isn't too far, and they're about to add commuter rail service to DC and Baltimore.

Quote:
Not to give any more fodder to the resident big ego, but why are you skipping over the Richmond VA area?
I forgot to mention that! I only became aware of how nice that area was a few weeks ago when that retirement thread was going on and BigMike mentioned it. I still need to do more research on the area to see if it fits the bill for what I'm looking for.

Quote:

The streetcar suburbs of Chicago are beautiful..there are like 5 or 6 Garden City type neighborhoods with little downtowns that are beautiful.
Agreed! They really are. In addition, Chicago is probably the cheapest city of its caliber.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:01 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,162,875 times
I could def. do Delaware. Close to major cities, beaches, ocean, no state sales tax(not sure of now) and no taxes on retirement monies.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post

I forgot to mention that! I only became aware of how nice that area was a few weeks ago when that retirement thread was going on and BigMike mentioned it. I still need to do more research on the area to see if it fits the bill for what I'm looking for.

I don't know what the pipeline to NC from NY is that somehow bypassed Virginia. I guess the Universities there (VCU) aren't considered as highly as Duke or UNC Chapel Hill, so maybe that's part of it. The nice parts of Richmond provides some good "city" things (the slums are bad, and they are somewhat plentiful but can be avoided), and the suburbs are nice.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:05 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,889,107 times
^ I've always liked NoVA. How's the food there? Any beaches within a reasonable drive? Is it really that much cheaper?

Old 06-14-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
^ I've always liked NoVA. How's the food there? Any beaches within a reasonable drive? Is it really that much cheaper?
NoVA is not cheap, and the traffic sucks. Totally different.

Richmond is basically beyond commuting distance from DC (although I'm sure some crazy people do it), and is much cheaper.

Food is basically like LI, just substitute more barbecue and comfort food type places for red sauce Italian and Pizza joints on every corner. Same chains, the "hip" parts of Richmond have all the ethnic foods. The places that are pleasant surprise are the "diners/drive ins and dives" type local places, with scratch made food, especially in college areas down south. On LI, garbagey Greek diners are the norm, using frozen/jarred old ingredients..including the Greek food. Frozen Gyro meat?

LI food is wildly overrated....it's not NYC.

I've got 10 diners within 20 minutes of where I live, and ONE of them can make a decent breakfast.

Virginia Beach isn't too far but traffic is miserable from what I've heard. I can't imagine driving 2 hours to go to the beach when it's been 30 minutes or less my whole life.

You can buy a 2500 sq foot house with a half acre with good schools for $300K in Chesterfield County.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:38 AM

245 posts, read 495,767 times
Hi SC here I come,
As you know we are planning on leaving NY also for SC. I would love to be there now but we're waiting 4 more years for kids to finish high school. Hoping to buy down there in a few years do the snowbird thing for a few years then in 10 years live year round.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:41 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,867,684 times
Quote:
NoVA is not cheap, and the traffic sucks. Totally different.

Richmond is basically beyond commuting distance from DC (although I'm sure some crazy people do it), and is much cheaper.
I believe though that in NoVa, workers have other employment options outside of DC so commuting to the city center is not always necessary.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:41 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,725,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
I could def. do Delaware. Close to major cities, beaches, ocean, no state sales tax(not sure of now) and no taxes on retirement monies.
Still no sales tax I'll be down there next month, and you better believe Illnbe doing some shopping

I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way, but I never took you for someone who wanted to move off the island. Your posts always portrayed you as happy here-- or we're you just saying that DE is doable, but you're not leaving?

Quote:
I don't know what the pipeline to NC from NY is that somehow bypassed Virginia. I guess the Universities there (VCU) aren't considered as highly as Duke or UNC Chapel Hill, so maybe that's part of it. The nice parts of Richmond provides some good "city" things (the slums are bad, and they are somewhat plentiful but can be avoided), and the suburbs are nice.
I don't know, honestly. DE and VA don't seem to get much love. I only know about DE from visiting friends, and VA from BM50.

Regarding NoVa-- it seems like that would be a lateral move from Long Island, still have congestion and overpriced real estate. The Metro is cheaper than the LIRR, though.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I believe though that in NoVa, workers have other employment options outside of DC so commuting to the city center is not always necessary.
You probably still need to use the beltway, and it sucks. DC is what it is because of Gorvernment jobs and all the apparatus that comes with them. I'm not sure how the employment opportunities are any less city-centered than the NY metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island