Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 09:28 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,978,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Chesterfield County.
You are in Chesterfield County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 09:52 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,169,132 times
Im not leaving...as of right now. I like it here and until my quality of life changes with these taxes I will stay till retirement. No reason to leave..I like the different seasons, ocean, NYC, schools, etc. But I know I will be gone when I retire without a doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
Still no sales tax I'll be down there next month, and you better believe Illnbe doing some shopping

I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way, but I never took you for someone who wanted to move off the island. Your posts always portrayed you as happy here-- or we're you just saying that DE is doable, but you're not leaving?

Old 06-14-2013, 10:01 AM

13,512 posts, read 17,049,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
You are in Chesterfield County?
No, I have a friend who moved there and my wife and I visited a few times, tried to convice us to move there...looked at houses, etc.

They want to come back now, but can't afford to. Friends and family trump big cheap houses and a new version of LI, to some people.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:10 AM

909 posts, read 1,838,774 times
I don't get the people saying "I'm raising my family here and am gone after I retire". I know everyone wants to live their own life and all but, it has got to be hard to just move away and see eachother a couple times a year if at all. I would love to move when I retire as well but, I can't see it being that easy.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
I don't get the people saying "I'm raising my family here and am gone after I retire". I know everyone wants to live their own life and all but, it has got to be hard to just move away and see eachother a couple times a year if at all. I would love to move when I retire as well but, I can't see it being that easy.
You move within driving distance of where you were before, and your kids are (presumably) away at college.

As far as the numbers go, I have to assume I'll be doing the same thing. It just doesn't make sense to stay around paying 11K in property taxes and ridiculous utility rates on a fixed income. "We're on a VERY FIXED INCOME!!!".

Old 06-14-2013, 10:22 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,169,132 times
^^ Actually being over 65 you can apply for the enhanced STAR. But yeah, why in hell would anyone stay here on a fixed income paying these taxes.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:23 AM

909 posts, read 1,838,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
You move within driving distance of where you were before, and your kids are (presumably) away at college.

As far as the numbers go, I have to assume I'll be doing the same thing. It just doesn't make sense to stay around paying 11K in property taxes and ridiculous utility rates on a fixed income. "We're on a VERY FIXED INCOME!!!".
The timing is definitely an issue for most unless you had children at an older age. If retiring at 62 that means you are in your 40's when having children. If you wasted 20 of your best years and didn't bank big time then I understand. If you have kids at 30-35 your children are already out of college and either living at home or have their own life. Say you were in your 20's then your kids probably are ready to start a family when you are ready to retire.
What do you do if your parent is still alive and in their declining years?

I agree the place is way too expensive but, your 400k home will probably be worth600-700k in 20 years and your opinions might be different.

How are all the fixed incomes doing it now? Property taxes and general high cost of living are nothing new and people have been leaving because of it for decades. I truly believe that those HGTV shows and a general decline of morals and traditional lifestyle has as much to do with people leaving LI as the high taxes and traffic has.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:26 AM

245 posts, read 495,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
^^ Actually being over 65 you can apply for the enhanced STAR. But yeah, why in hell would anyone stay here on a fixed income paying these taxes.
This is our main reason to leave. If we can swing buying the house in SC while still living in NY and if our kids need or want to stay in NY house they can pay while we're down south.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:55 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,872,802 times
Quote:
I agree the place is way too expensive but, your 400k home will probably be worth600-700k in 20 years and your opinions might be different.
I'm not sure you can count on this kind of appreciation. More likely a house bought at $X today would have lost value to inflation. But once you consider investor demand for real estate, anything is possible.

Quote:
How are all the fixed incomes doing it now? Property taxes and general high cost of living are nothing new and people have been leaving because of it for decades. I truly believe that those HGTV shows and a general decline of morals and traditional lifestyle has as much to do with people leaving LI as the high taxes and traffic has.
It's a matter of cause and effect. If taxes and COL were lower, then fewer people would be leaving. This is not just true for LI alone but everywhere else that has higher COL.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
. I truly believe that those HGTV shows and a general decline of morals and traditional lifestyle has as much to do with people leaving LI as the high taxes and traffic has.
What? You lost me on that one. People paying $10K in property taxes with a 40K a year retirement income are showing a lack of morals and traditional values by moving.

In terms of "banking", whatever I bank is gravy on top of a NYS teaching pension coming from the better half, barring the state going bankrupt in 15 years (not an impossibility). But even then, if I have 2 kids in college, unless they are at Stony Brook and commute, what's the point in staying here other than sentimentality?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island