Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2013, 06:44 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,386,823 times

Advertisements

Never. Ever. Leaving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 07:57 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,042,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
You, obviously, have never been to downtown Cincinnati or Cleveland.
A few blocks from downtown in either of those cities is boarded up, sad ghetto. East in Cleveland, North In Cinci (Over the Rhine). I've been to Cleveland, not to Cinci but anyone interested in seeing a slum do a google street view of the "Over the Rhine" hood in Cincinnati. Yikes.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:07 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,868,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
A few blocks from downtown in either of those cities is boarded up, sad ghetto. East in Cleveland, North In Cinci (Over the Rhine). I've been to Cleveland, not to Cinci but anyone interested in seeing a slum do a google street view of the "Over the Rhine" hood in Cincinnati. Yikes.
All cities have their slums. They exist to have a place to contain the less deirable elements in places where they cannot bother others.

NYC metro is one of the few places where you have more affluent people moving into such areas under the guise of "gentrification" and then later innundating 311 with calls complaining about the unfavorable surroundings.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
All cities have their slums. They exist to have a place to contain the less deirable elements in places where they cannot bother others.

NYC metro is one of the few places where you have more affluent people moving into such areas under the guise of "gentrification" and then later innundating 311 with calls complaining about the unfavorable surroundings.
Yeah, except in Cincinnati you walk five blocks from your cushy office job downtown and you're in the South Bronx circa 1980. Not exactly a comfy buffer zone there. Cincinnati could only wish they'd have a level of gentrification that NYC has had in the last 20 years, they'd love nothing more. There are more hipsters from Ohio in Williamsburg than in Cincinnati, they all flee here.

The percentage of area that cities like Cinci and Cleveland have that could be classified as slum is much higher than NYC, Boston, SF, etc. And, the original point was, there is a reason why you can buy a house really cheap outside of Youngstown Ohio...because they've lost half of their population in the last 40 years and the city is abandoned and miserable. High property taxes suck and everything, but driving 5 miles from your new development and seeing streets with vacant houses and boarded up businesses sucks too. I mean, if you just go between your cookie cutter house and Walmart every day, I guess it doesn't matter....which as I've said before, there are a lot of Long Islanders who basically do that, so why stay here for that lifestyle? Because you'd miss good pizza?

Old 06-17-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Yeah, except in Cincinnati you walk five blocks from your cushy office job downtown and you're in the South Bronx circa 1980. Not exactly a comfy buffer zone there. Cincinnati could only wish they'd have a level of gentrification that NYC has had in the last 20 years, they'd love nothing more. There are more hipsters from Ohio in Williamsburg than in Cincinnati, they all flee here.

The percentage of area that cities like Cinci and Cleveland have that could be classified as slum is much higher than NYC, Boston, SF, etc. And, the original point was, there is a reason why you can buy a house really cheap outside of Youngstown Ohio...because they've lost half of their population in the last 40 years and the city is abandoned and miserable. High property taxes suck and everything, but driving 5 miles from your new development and seeing streets with vacant houses and boarded up businesses sucks too. I mean, if you just go between your cookie cutter house and Walmart every day, I guess it doesn't matter....which as I've said before, there are a lot of Long Islanders who basically do that, so why stay here for that lifestyle? Because you'd miss good pizza?
Perhaps that is the reason why people drive more often in those places. It's just a different mode of living. I used to work in LA and I don't think one can take go down from a downtown builing in the middle of the day for a pleasant stroll - there are corners that reek of the smell of urine. ON the other hand, from my old office in Sta. Monica, there is nowhere near to walk to. Most people drive to the boardwalk.

I have never been to Ohio but would surmise that there are probably self contained communities where one can go for more unique shopping/promenading or perhaps go to a big mall. In the inland of CA, there is Claremont which is a college town with quaint shops or the Montclair Plaza. Some inland residents drive to Vegas fot weekend day trips. My spouse has a relative in MI who lives in a gated community and they drive to Ann Arbor or the big mall in Royal Oak for promenading.

So It could be that you can still enjoy many of the amenities that you had in LI, but in a different way.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Perhaps that is the reason why people drive more often in those places. It's just a different mode of living. I used to work in LA and I don't think one can take go down from a downtown builing in the middle of the day for a pleasant stroll - there are corners that reek of the smell of urine. ON the other hand, from my old office in Sta. Monica, there is nowhere near to walk to. Most people drive to the boardwalk.

I have never been to Ohio but would surmise that there are probably self contained communities where one can go for more unique shopping/promenading or perhaps go to a big mall. In the inland of CA, there is Claremont which is a college town with quaint shops or the Montclair Plaza. Some inland residents drive to Vegas fot weekend day trips. My spouse has a relative in MI who lives in a gated community and they drive to Ann Arbor or the big mall in Royal Oak for promenading.

So It could be that you can still enjoy many of the amenities that you had in LI, but in a different way.

One of my points is that for many if not most Long Islanders, our lifestyle isn't any different than the suburban dwellers in these other places. We drive everywhere, we eat at chain restaurants, we shop at malls, on average. But, a cookie cutter home from the 60's cost 400K here, where as a new Mcmansion might cost 300K in Ohio outside Youngstown. One of the reasons, although not the only one, is that Youngstown is a depressed dump and NYC is not.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:07 AM

909 posts, read 1,838,100 times
Quote:
One of my points is that for many if not most Long Islanders, our lifestyle isn't any different than the suburban dwellers in these other places. We drive everywhere, we eat at chain restaurants, we shop at malls, on average. But, a cookie cutter home from the 60's cost 400K here, where as a new Mcmansion might cost 300K in Ohio outside Youngstown. One of the reasons, although not the only one, is that Youngstown is a depressed dump and NYC is not.
I'd bet everything that the 600k home on LI will be 800k in 20 yrs and the 300k McMansions in Ohio will go for the same or less.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:31 AM

/\/\

The only way for that to happen is if outside investors get into a buying binge for RE properties. Otherwise there's little to suggest that organic growth will drive up home values as they had done in the past. People just aren't making enough to afford 600K, let alone 800K. Those who force the issue (and there are many NYers who do) will end up paying through the nose.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:43 AM

8,697 posts, read 11,087,873 times
Quote:
/\/\

. People just aren't making enough to afford 600K, let alone 800K. Those who force the issue (and there are many NYers who do) will end up paying through the nose.
i've been saying this for 15+ yrs....esp before housing bubble. But somehow there are bunch of people who are outbidding each other from manhattan to many parts of the NY metro area.

The recent craze (as in the past few years) is the all cash buyers who are usually the foreign buyers. The all cash buyers seeminly are creeping in western nassau county (I not sure what is going on in other parts of LI). My sister sold her condo in queens to an all cash buyer. After selling, she was looking for a house and got outbidded 4x.....3 of 4 were all cash buyers.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
i've been saying this for 15+ yrs....esp before housing bubble. But somehow there are bunch of people who are outbidding each other from manhattan to many parts of the NY metro area.

The recent craze (as in the past few years) is the all cash buyers who are usually the foreign buyers. The all cash buyers seeminly are creeping in western nassau county (I not sure what is going on in other parts of LI). My sister sold her condo in queens to an all cash buyer. After selling, she was looking for a house and got outbidded 4x.....3 of 4 were all cash buyers.
Yes, that is something I posted in another thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-report-2.html

Which corresponds with the accounts of someone I know who lives int he north shore.

Foreign investors have inexpicably stepped in and saved the day for people trapped in their homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island