Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2013, 03:03 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Your last sentence can be done in Upstate NY easily for much less and maybe more land.

It is interesting how many people overlook areas that could work and they go to the same places(Raleigh, Charleston, Greenville, etc.). You could even say that people move to the same exact communities(Cary, Mount Pleasant, Summerville, Wake Forest, etc.).
300K in Chesterfield gets you in one of ther 2 best high schools (Cosby or Midlothian 9 or 8 on Greatschools) in a less than 10 year old house, and January and February there are like March here.... still winter but not nearly as much snow and 20 degree temps are very rare. If you got down a notch in schools you're talking the same house for 275 or less.

Most people leaving NY don't want to go where it's colder and where the economy is much worse, which covers a pretty huge swath of what is cheap in Upstate NY. The economy in the Richmond area is not as good as NYC metro area.......but even getting a job in most areas upstate isn't easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 03:10 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Nov. average is like 42....then factor in the wind chill off the water and it feels like 30. Wind cuts right thru you on the south shore. Sorry I have no blood flow. lol.
I just checked another site and they have average November high temps in Suffolk at Macaurther at 44, so it's significantly colder here than in the city. I stand corrected. If you live along the south shore it's probably even colder than that. North Shore tends to be warmer.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:19 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I just checked another site and they have average November high temps in Suffolk at Macaurther at 44, so it's significantly colder here than in the city. I stand corrected. If you live along the south shore it's probably even colder than that. North Shore tends to be warmer.
Actually, it's the opposite. South shore is a little warmer in the winter and definitely cooler in the summer (stored warmth from the Ocean in the winter/breeze in the summer). It's like you said with the Pacific being an air conditioner; it's similar with the Atlantic.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:37 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,897 times
Quote:
300K in Chesterfield gets you in one of ther 2 best high schools (Cosby or Midlothian 9 or 8 on Greatschools) in a less than 10 year old house, and January and February there are like March here.... still winter but not nearly as much snow and 20 degree temps are very rare. If you got down a notch in schools you're talking the same house for 275 or less.

Most people leaving NY don't want to go where it's colder and where the economy is much worse, which covers a pretty huge swath of what is cheap in Upstate NY. The economy in the Richmond area is not as good as NYC metro area.......but even getting a job in most areas upstate isn't easy.
OMG! I'm agreeing with Roca and Dman and within two days to boot ..BTW last winter was very mild!

Old 06-14-2013, 04:02 PM

639 posts, read 1,124,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
^ I've always liked NoVA. How's the food there? Any beaches within a reasonable drive? Is it really that much cheaper?
NoVA a few years back was ranked as the region with the highest COL in the country, probably because of housing costs. However, taxes are less in Virginia than LI (and probably the rest of NY) and DC metro the last 10 years had an influx of high paying jobs with the federal government and contractors, so most people are able to afford the COL there. Also NoVA, like many other regions in the US, generally has a much newer and spacious housing stock than LI.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:14 PM

93,401 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:

I know what you are saying and this wouldn't go for everyone, but you still can do all of those thing up here. Upstate is essentially is a state and varies. While new is nice, it doesn't mean that older homes are bad and there are newer homes up here if a person looks.

Jobs will depend on skills, education, experience, etc. So, it just depends on what you can do. Ithaca has the lowest unemployment rate in the state and is growing. Albany-Schenectady-Troy has the highest average annual income in Upstate and there are some industries growing there. Syracuse's average annual income is on par with Charlotte, Richmond, Raleigh and Columbus OH and is behind the other 2 Upstate areas in that regard.

You can't do anything about weather and it is subjective, as some people make the most of whatever weather they live in.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:45 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,147,831 times
Quote:
NoVA is not cheap, and the traffic sucks. Totally different.

Richmond is basically beyond commuting distance from DC (although I'm sure some crazy people do it), and is much cheaper.

Food is basically like LI, just substitute more barbecue and comfort food type places for red sauce Italian and Pizza joints on every corner. Same chains, the "hip" parts of Richmond have all the ethnic foods. The places that are pleasant surprise are the "diners/drive ins and dives" type local places, with scratch made food, especially in college areas down south. On LI, garbagey Greek diners are the norm, using frozen/jarred old ingredients..including the Greek food. Frozen Gyro meat?

LI food is wildly overrated....it's not NYC.

I've got 10 diners within 20 minutes of where I live, and ONE of them can make a decent breakfast.

Virginia Beach isn't too far but traffic is miserable from what I've heard. I can't imagine driving 2 hours to go to the beach when it's been 30 minutes or less my whole life.

You can buy a 2500 sq foot house with a half acre with good schools for $300K in Chesterfield County.
I did the commute from Richmond to NOVA just this week, 2 hours if you manage to miss the traffic. Otherwise, it's just a long frustrating crawl.

In regards to VB, you have to change how you think about going to the beach. I was used to hitting Field 5 at RM in under 20 minutes and going 90 minutes to VB was a joke, but the trick is spending a few days there. Hotels on the beach are reasonable and the beach is really quite nice.

Food has gotten a lot better down here. Finally have a few excellent Italian (Mama Cucina) and pizza (Two Guys) . Add onto that some excellent Thai, Indian and all the great small upscale and downscale places, and you could eat somewhere different everyday. And most are really easy to get to.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:55 PM

161 posts, read 322,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekochan999 View Post
Just put house on the market - moving to Orlando area to be near my Mom and the mouse. Long Island is too congested and the taxes are outrageous.
Just rented a house with a screened in pool in Dr Phillips. Moving on 6/24.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:30 PM

909 posts, read 1,837,936 times
Quote:
Very good point. Most people in Europe wouldn't think of moving to a new faceless cookie cutter development every 10 years, where as here it seems to be the thing to do.
You guys are right about this. I guess it was just the way I was brought up and what I see from the people I associate myself with. I couldn't move around every 10 years that's for certain.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:28 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
^^Big Mike is this the beginning of a bromance? lol.
lol...on the net I play hard to get but in person
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island