Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2013, 09:13 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,822,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
This is 100% right. Also a lot has to do with what kind of job you have. If you work in television, you'd make a heck of a lot more in NY than you would in NC. Same with a teacher. LI teachers are paid very well (i think too much but I'm not getting into that now), however teachers in other areas make absolute bupkiss. For most of the country, a teacher isn't a high paying job. Look at Suffolk County cops. I am sure no other cops in the country (except Nassau) are making anywhere close that.

Just bc housing prices and taxes are cheaper in NC doesnt necessarily mean that your COL is cheaper nor is it like that for everyone. Some professions, yes it is worth it, others like mine- no.
You are cherry picking a hand full of jobs that make up a small portion of the over all job market. If you are in oil or energy, Houston is the place to be, not NYC.

So as I said, it does depend on your job. But as Mikey stated, this is changing. "Special" jobs are being spread out all over the country. I know several IT and project managers that still work for NYC area companies, yet they live down by me. These jobs are now location neutral and companies realize that for certain jobs they can hire anyone in the county. And the best part for them is that they can set one salary rate.

For most of the country, not having high civil servant salaries are part of the reason that they are more affordable. The added cost of high civil servant salaries reverberate throughout a local economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 10:32 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Happy 4th to you!

I'm a little lit, taking out my bro and 4 friends to a nice bar.....grey goose and cran 2.95 try that on the Island ,lol.....I really didn't read anything you type btw Enjoy the Holiday!
Eh, Ketel One all day for me, especially if you're mixing. GG is overrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
That's all well and good, but if you exclude all those things Mike how does the COL measure between the two places?

Did I get the nuance right SIB?
Here, I'll post it in 3 sentences to make it easier for you ()
1. COL differences are highly exaggerated (The true difference in COL will range from $5k-$15k for the average household, not including income disparity)
2. Read sentence #1
3. Repeat step 2 or prove otherwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
If your not sure if he's right or wrong.... Keep your trap shut. I'm here to tell you he's wrong from experience. I'm not capable of understanding because I've been doing and paying for almost 5 years... Gas as in natural is half, electric is half, car insurance is less than half. Housing and taxes are way less and they are probably your two biggest nuts, you have too add these to the equation also. Hell sales tax is 3.5 or 3.75 less here. It's hard to understand something's that's wrong especially when your living proof it's wrong! Look you buy a home that cost 1/3,,, taxes are 1/4 gas 1/2 electric 1/2 home owners 1/4, car insurance 1/4.. These are most of your monthly expenditures... All a lot less, much less in fact.. Add in sales tax, gasoline ,entertainment, etc... I'm the one that sure be like " why doesn't people understand" I've only said it like 100 x's

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk 2
Lol, I like how you selectively ignore my post and then go on to post a dozen links to articles 10x as long as mine . I guess I made my point. As SIB stated, your numbers are questionable. I'd like to see a screenshot of your electric bill, auto insurance, and homeowners insurance (blank out the personal info of course). You could DM me as well and I will admit you're right if they are what you say they are. While you're at it, post your sanitation bill, water bill, HOA fees, pest control fees, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I'll bite here - because you're discussing the 2 areas I know intimately. The "huge chunk of equity", "intangibles (esp higher paying jobs)", etc are the old paradigm. Thanks to technology you're beginning to see a shift in the workforce. You can ignore this and continue to believe your own version - that's fine... But my parents raised me on LI with Mom staying home, in a shinier house/larger yard than in Brooklyn where they came from, on a cookie cutter block, in a new school district, "out on the sticks" (Suffolk)... now 40+ years later in today's paradigm - both parents work dropping kids at daycare 8am to 8pm, the block is "mature" (run down), the schools are "mature" (run down), the municipalities are broke, and everyone is running up credit cards to look the part of success. It's the new paradigm... So when you want to talk "intangibles" - cover the gambit and don't cherrypick... LI historically was EXACTLY what you're mocking other places for... It was no different - and LI broke itself by promising its civil servants the moon... and the stars... and the sun. It will only get worse from a COL perspective - much worse. Do I really need to "prove" that to you? Does anyone? You don't see the writing on the wall?

The problem with your math here is that it is not apples to apples... comparing Meck county (the city) to Nassau county (the suburbs) is just wrong. Nassau is double the density and has a slightly higher population... as a suburb. If you want to try and get a better comparison then look at specific areas like South Charlotte. Look at the suburbs around the city... compare the right way. If I dropped you in certain areas in Myers Park... or took you to Southpark... I guarantee you'd be shocked that it looks like high end Nassau county and your head would spin. Great, mature public schools and neighborhoods - Beemers and Benz' as far as the eye can see - aka Nassau county... Compare the median earnings that way. You don't get this plugging searches into google and it's difficult coming up with copy/paste "proof". But at the end of the day, you're disputing opinions... opinions from people who have seen both sides... that know both areas - you don't... so, you don't get to say "Enough said" and end it. Live in both areas and then let us know the real deal.

Some bartenders, waitresses, etc service people make more than RNs and teachers... all over... I knew some bartenders who made more than LI teachers on LI... I knew teachers who would bartend in the Summer and clean house. No idea what this proves except that the right service job makes some good cash. But that doesn't mean you want to raise a family like that...
Lots of hyperbole, nothing of real substance here, Mikey. Sorry. you tried to flip the bartender example I made, but I gotta call BS on that. If that were true, the OP could easily "make ends meet" taking a part time job like that.
On Charlotte vs. Nassau, I wasn't the one who made the income comparison to begin with.

Schools "run down"..blocks run down?? Not sure what that means. Are we teaching kids in trailers due to lack of infrastructure like the south? It's the opposite. Just remember, when your kids are all grown up, they will have to face the prospect of earning less than the avg bartender or limo driver in NY if they decide to become something important like a teacher or RN by you. That speaks volumes. You get what you pay for...
Trailers a crutch for crowded schools - Richmond Times Dispatch: News, Crime And Politics For The Richmond Metro Area

Last edited by Pequaman; 07-05-2013 at 10:43 AM..

Old 07-05-2013, 10:41 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,383 times
http://postimg.org/image/pvhjhbhqn/ Average 42 a month!

My latest gas bill.......that's for the dryer, hot water heater and BBQ.....remember that's 5 + plus people and some guest using the showers and dryer....all MONTH!

Last edited by BigMike50; 07-05-2013 at 10:53 AM..

Old 07-05-2013, 11:01 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,822,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Just as many stay on the island and live great lives on their retirements here. The ones who leave, it's for the warmer weather, the peace and quiet, cheaper taxes, simpler lifestyle and lower COL. I totally get that. The empty nester who no longer works and has no need for the schools (and the high taxes) anymore, and who's sitting on a huge chunk of equity in their LI home.
Source?

Quote:
What you're focusing on is one segment of the population. To someone on a fixed income without a mortgage, kids moved away, living out their golden years, yeah, saving $5k-$15k a year would certainly be much more appealing. Enough for some to take the plunge down south. But to your average middle age person/household, that amount of money is not significant enough to transplant theirs and their entire family's lives. When it comes down to it, LI's intangibles (esp higher paying jobs)are worth much more than a scaled-down cheaper lifestyle and shinier house/larger yard.
The reason I was saying to exclude intangibles earlier was to get a rough average of how much people are truly saving on basic COL expenses. I've seen people claim it takes double to live on LI vs the south, or that $100k LI money = $60k down south. In reality, that's not the case. No one has proved otherwise.
$5K to $15K per year not significant? Like I said, it's nice to be in a position to think like this. Fear and other reasons are the most likely reasons.

Include intangibles, not incldue? It seems it depends on went you can use them to suit your point.
Check the COL calculators posted about the "claims".

Quote:
"how much" cheaper it is' will vary by individual/household. Look at Jdawg..she said her COL is actually LESS on LI and she makes 3x as much as she would in NC. Retirees and those on fixed incomes will definitely find it cheaper. You should be telling the OP how much cheaper it is and that there's no need for her to commute to LI for better pay.
I will say this though, from the examples you showed, Midlothian definitely looks like a good area for RNs to consider moving to (if they are looking to move to VA). How is RN pay that high in midlo and so much lower in NC? Maybe it's all the retirees creating this demand?.
Anecdotal testimonials really don't count. Others posted proof where you or Jdawg have not posted any.

Quote:
The reason I used household is because it's usually the best comparison of earnings power in a region, plus the fact that RNs usually earn around the median household income (after benefits), as do many good electricians. I guess we could use median income for full-time workers:

NASSAU COUNTY
Median earnings for male full-time, year-round workers (dollars) 69,402
Median earnings for female full-time, year-round workers (dollars) 52,184

CHARLOTTE
Median earnings for male full-time, year-round workers (dollars) 47,506
Median earnings for female full-time, year-round workers (dollars) 38,633

Nassau County median pay for male workers is $16k more than the HOUSEHOLD income in Charlotte, $22k more than male ft workers in Charlotte.
Nassau County median pay for female workers is only $1k less than HOUSEHOLD income in Charlotte, $14k more than female ft workers in Charlotte.
Nassau household income is $42k more than Charlotte household income.

Enough said.

On the whole "NYC" doesn't count thing, that point is moot. It just makes 0 (common)sense.

Btw, if you count all the boroughs it's well over 25%. moot.
Do you have a source to go along with your stats? I posted one from the Census that disputes that, and pay in the outer boroughs don't match that of Manhattan.

And as I said the whole "NYC" thing does count. ~20% of Nassau County workers communte to NYC and are making 60% more than that of someone who does not. That person's extra money along with civil servant $ makes goods and services more expensive for the rest who only earn a Nassau County median wage - more $ from those people to chase the same goods and services ).

Quote:
Once we get past 50+% of the jobs, then you're saying most office worker jobs pay the same.
50+% of the jobs Gracie?

Quote:
I disagree and give you an example of reality- Many bartenders, garbage men, limo drivers and waitresses on LI make more than RNs and teachers in the south.
And many don't. I can quote things out of thin air too. Straw man arguement. You have no hard numbers of this.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:02 AM

View image: geico HOA is 350 per year! sanitation is 17 a month and homeowners is around 725 per year!

4 cars two are brand new! Pest control over the 4 years .99 cents had a mouse come in but the trap took care of it

Old 07-05-2013, 11:08 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
Has Pequa or SIB posted their monthly numbers yet? I figure if the COL isn't much they'd be offering something for us to compare to.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Has Pequa or SIB posted their monthly numbers yet? I figure if the COL isn't much they'd be offering something for us to compare to.
Yes excellent idea! I'll post them all except mortgage.....because that was removed after I moved off the Island

Can you believe they think taxes,utilities,overall COL here is the same as NY

Old 07-05-2013, 11:33 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
I still can't get past that housing isn't being factored in.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I still can't get past that housing isn't being factored in.
Why is that hard to believe.....sounds like the only thing they do want to factor in is water

I just can't believe they passed 1st grade math The south and Midwest are known for there lower cost of living...probably failed 3rd grade U.S. geography also
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island