Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 04:55 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
I don't like hilly areas. Very dangerous on icy/snowy days. Also, if development doesn't follow the contours of the land it leads to a jumbled crowded feel.
But very safe year round because it slows traffic throughout the neighborhood.

Its like built in speedbumps.

As I recall the neighborhoods off of 231 drove pretty recklessly.

Theres nothing worse than wide flat suburban roads and a kid in a Mustang GT.
(Im old.. more like a WRX or a Civic SI.)

C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 04:59 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,589 times
Default No fun at 5 AM in the dark on the ice on hilly roads anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockypointny View Post
Driving through Rocky Point after a fresh snowfall is beautiful, it's like a Norman Rockwell painting. Winding country roads and huge snow dusted trees, oh and don't forget the best neighborhood sleighriding.
No fun at 5 AM in the dark on the ice on hilly roads anywhere. Unless you can just stay at home.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:05 PM

240 posts, read 1,057,210 times
Quote:
No fun at 5 AM in the dark on the ice on hilly roads anywhere. Unless you can just stay at home.
Believe me, most roads are passable. There are a few double black diamond streets that I would not drive on in the snow out of common sense. Most of the time, however, there is a gradual route to get to your home.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:10 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,589 times
Default Hills + ice/snow = accident waiting to happen.

Quote:
Believe me, most roads are passable. There are a few double black diamond streets that I would not drive on in the snow out of common sense. Most of the time, however, there is a gradual route to get to your home.
Hills + ice/snow = accident waiting to happen. That is a fact no matter how experienced a driver you are. Nothing worse than driving down a hill that is covered in ice or snow in the dark.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:13 PM

240 posts, read 1,057,210 times
Quote:
Hills + ice/snow = accident waiting to happen. That is a fact no matter how experienced a driver you are. Nothing worse than driving down a hill that is covered in ice or snow in the dark.
I'm not disputing you, an icy hill is obviously dangerous. However, most of the time there is an alternative route you can take home that is gradual and less dangerous. The roads here get taken care of quickly for this very reason.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Its OK Rockypointny

Hes just jealous.

Yawn
North Babylon, NY : A snowed down road right off my own street during 2005 photo

You know and I know getting around can always be done.

C

Old 11-12-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
I'm not disputing you, an icy hill is obviously dangerous. However, most of the time there is an alternative route you can take home that is gradual and less dangerous. The roads here get taken care of quickly for this very reason.
One of the many benefits of the Hills

C

Old 11-12-2007, 05:29 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
What pretty names for streets you all have there in Rocky Point.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
What pretty names for streets you all have there in Rocky Point.
Like Uranus

: )

C

Old 11-12-2007, 06:58 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Apricot actually just became a double yellow line street a few weeks ago. I had a few close calls coming up that hill as you cannot see any cars coming from the opposite direction. I actually live on Locust, but the "other Locust" it's really annoying having to give directions because everyone ends up on the long Locust that goes from Kale to Nautilus.
One of the fun things about long Locust was watching the remnants of the St Pat's parade drive/walk/float by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island