Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 03:30 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,489,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Take a spin down Straight Path when youre there.

Spend time in the Pathmark on 231 on a Sat afternoon.
I believe thats the best barometer of all (for any town).

Ask yourself if youre comfortable with the neighborhood.

C
Locals don't shop at Pathmark - we've got a huge Super Stop and Shop now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 03:33 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,489,141 times
Default Franklin Square is very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicolina View Post
Thanks for all the good info everyone! Franklin Square? Is it nice there?
If you want Nassau check out Franklin Square and Floral Park.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:37 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,679,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
Locals don't shop at Pathmark - we've got a huge Super Stop and Shop now.
Cant say I blame em....

I wouldnt either.

Nonetheless its right in the heart of the community and a magnet for the low end.

Dont get me wrong North Babylon isnt bad at all(In fact I think its MUCH nicer than Deer Park and even Northern West Islip and a good portion of West Babylon) but I think you can just do a hell of a lot better elsewhere and not have to worry about the neighboring communities.

As for Itialan
I know it was....If Nbres says it still is.
I'd believe him

C

Old 11-13-2007, 07:07 AM

70 posts, read 179,247 times
Hi everyone! I'm still here - had a major power outtage last night in our town. After a good night sleep, here I am. Hey, Massapequa doesn't look like a bad commute to Commack! Franklin Sq. is closer to the city, hence farther from Commack. Do you guys know anything about Commack? Only thing coming to mind is Larkfield Rd. and the roller rink (if it's still there). Is there a town center there?

Ps. You guys have ALL been so helpful. Can't thank you enough!

Old 11-13-2007, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Take a drive around Xmas that is for sure. And just check out Uncle Guiseppe's....we (Italians) need our Italian specialty stores to shop at.
well said!

Old 11-13-2007, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Town of Smithtown would be in the OP's range (barring taxes in some cases)if they looked in St. James (nowhere near Nissequoge), just off the little main street area, in Smithtown, in and around downtown off of say Maple Avenue, etc, and certainly in Kings Park. Although Kings Park has little downtown to it (and seems less italian), and you would spend most of your time shopping Smithtown or Commack. If Commack is the commute though, and you can find the right deal in this market, Smithtown would be awfully convenient. Manga i Beve!! (I am irish, I have no idea if that was spelled correctly).
Mangia e Bevi! I will definitely consider Kings Park (I like it b/c it's cuter and more compact than Smithtown) but I hear that the schools in Smithtown are great. St. James is lovely but reminds me too much of New England, which I am a bit sick of. I want that strong insular neighborhood feel.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:24 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,307,662 times
Quote:
Mangia e Bevi! I will definitely consider Kings Park (I like it b/c it's cuter and more compact than Smithtown) but I hear that the schools in Smithtown are great. St. James is lovely but reminds me too much of New England, which I am a bit sick of. I want that strong insular neighborhood feel.
You should of course drive through, but I think you will find that Smithtown is a bit "cuter" on the whole than Kings Park, with a modest downtown. The area of St. James I was referring to was in and around their little main street which you might find to your liking. Best of luck to you. One item of note, Town of Smithtown taxes can get pretty high...you'll want to be sure and get the "real" tax number from any realtor, etc.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:46 AM

jrprofess, thank you so much for your help. i have a friend who has lived in smithtown all of her life and refuses to leave! she just loves it there. I'll keep my eye on the taxes for sure. thanks for the warning.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:25 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,111,686 times
Quote:
Ok so sounds to me like you are looking for either Massapequa, Kings Park, or Frankin Square.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:27 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,111,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
There are a few homes in St James that would appear to be owned by Italian American families, but short of that, would you tell me where the rest of the Italian Americans are hiding in St James?

Seriously -- I couldn't believe my eyes when I read 35% Italian, 29.7% Irish.
I went to a bunch of open houses in St. James. Most of the homeowners were Italian and even the realtor told me that when i asked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island