Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 10:02 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,676,532 times

Advertisements

You wont get a better value (or better Italian Bread) than Rocky Point.

If one town North of Middle Island is too East for you... than buy either South of Montauk or North of 25a.

You wont get hurt

C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 10:30 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,710,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
St. James is very catholic. The heritages come from that I presume. Just drive through Main Street and the side roads in the next few weeks, it will be pretty clear (glowing life-size snow globes are the scorn of the earth in my opinion, but I digress). There are a lot of now old perceptions regarding these areas being predominantly jewish. In my experience, and on my block, it is 100% catholic...of course it was not a scientific poll and I could care less. I think a lot of folks from outside the area envelope an area of St. James into the Head of Harbor type area which might be less italian, irish than the majority of the town. It was the italians and irish who built those nice palaces on the Nissequoge River a generation ago.
Life-size snow globes and larger than life, made in China inflatable "yard art" ornaments on one's lawn is an acquired 'taste' IMHO. Years of living in Massapequa and dealing with looking at yard after yard with a plastic Baby Jesus in the plastic manger has done me in. Some folks might like it, and that's their perogative -- I have no problem with people doing that to their yard, just save the simple white strands of lights for me, please.

I'm back and forth and all over St James and HOH on a regular basis -- I know much better than to ever lump those two areas together. Using the unofficial 'holiday display' count from years passed, I have to agree -- the areas do tend to lean more Christian. I suppose I didn't think it was populated by as many Italians simply because I haven't heard many Italian last names; but that really doesn't mean anything as an Italian woman might have taken a non Italian husband's name. Case in point -- one Irish friend (HOH) is married to an Italian woman and I never even thought of that when I wrote my other post. However the bulk of people I know in both St James and HOH are Irish. Now I am going to be observing things more closely!

Growing up in MatzohPizza, one could tell an Italian home from a non Italian home -- landscaping, a careful attention to special details and some ornate statuary would say, "This home belongs to an Italian family who take great pride in their home." The rest of us just didn't have the perfectly manicured lawns or meticulously shaped shrubs. (For an Irish guy, my dad could shape shrubs well enough to pass for an Italian, though! He was quite the edger, too. LOL) Some of these indicators are visible out here, but not anywhere near as prevalent as they were in there.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:54 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,710,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
North Massapequa 48.9% Italian, the heaviest Italian American community on Long Island. The one drawback to North Massapequa is because it i located in mostly residential areas and don't have any real high property value areas in the district, to help reduce the school tax burden they have among the highest school tax rates in the County. The community is split between two districts (about 65-70% Plainedge, 30-35% farmingdale). Plainedge has the 3rd highest school tax rate in the county, Farmingdale the 8th
I attended Plainedge and can vouch for the fact that my HS had many Italian families in it, many of whom were related. It was an incredibly tight knit community. The pocket I lived in (South of the SSP, in between Rte 107/Hicksville Rd & Broadway) was predominantly Italian. My next door neighbor was always cooking the most delicious foods (I secretly wanted her to adopt me) and to this day I will never, ever forget how excited I would get looking out my bedroom window into her garden -- and seeing her picking the zucchini flowers. I knew it meant we were all in for a tasty treat.

We were within walking distance of a pork store (it was on Broadway at the corner of Pine St) and would be sent on errands to pick up this or that. (Write me a note Mrs. G., I can't pronounce that word -- my Irish will show!) Funny thing was, my maiden name ended with a vowel and looked Italian, sounded very Italian if mispronounced.

My neighborhood was more working class; cops, fireman, contractors, nurses, plumbers and the occasional MD or DDS. My friend's family moved to Bar Harbor, which at the time (can't say for sure now) had more 'connected' Italian families. She's the one whose neighbor was Carlo Gambino.

Taxes can be tough as there is little in the way of commercial properties to offset taxes. That is how it has always been -- even 30+ years ago when I first attended the Plainedge school district. The programs were great, I had my AP options, and felt I graduated well-prepared.

From the perspective of a child who grew up there -- I had many wonderful experiences there, always felt safe. There were parks to play in, friends on every street -- none of the driving X# of miles for a playdate. The LIRR was close by to get you into the city, we would bike to Jones Beach, take the buses to the malls.

Why don't I live there now? I am not a 'development' person, and enjoy having a larger piece of property.

Buona fortuna!

Old 11-13-2007, 12:56 PM

22,183 posts, read 19,455,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Cant say I blame em....

I wouldnt either.

Nonetheless its right in the heart of the community and a magnet for the low end.

Dont get me wrong North Babylon isnt bad at all(In fact I think its MUCH nicer than Deer Park and even Northern West Islip and a good portion of West Babylon) but I think you can just do a hell of a lot better elsewhere and not have to worry about the neighboring communities.

As for Itialan
I know it was....If Nbres says it still is.
I'd believe him

C
the neighboring communtieis, you spoke of Wyandnach and Wheatley Heights earlier, I will agree Wyandanch is not exactly a good area, but what exactly do you have against Wheatley Heights??

Old 11-13-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I attended Plainedge and can vouch for the fact that my HS had many Italian families in it, many of whom were related. It was an incredibly tight knit community. The pocket I lived in (South of the SSP, in between Rte 107/Hicksville Rd & Broadway) was predominantly Italian. My next door neighbor was always cooking the most delicious foods (I secretly wanted her to adopt me) and to this day I will never, ever forget how excited I would get looking out my bedroom window into her garden -- and seeing her picking the zucchini flowers. I knew it meant we were all in for a tasty treat.

We were within walking distance of a pork store (it was on Broadway at the corner of Pine St) and would be sent on errands to pick up this or that. (Write me a note Mrs. G., I can't pronounce that word -- my Irish will show!) Funny thing was, my maiden name ended with a vowel and looked Italian, sounded very Italian if mispronounced.

My neighborhood was more working class; cops, fireman, contractors, nurses, plumbers and the occasional MD or DDS. My friend's family moved to Bar Harbor, which at the time (can't say for sure now) had more 'connected' Italian families. She's the one whose neighbor was Carlo Gambino.

Taxes can be tough as there is little in the way of commercial properties to offset taxes. That is how it has always been -- even 30+ years ago when I first attended the Plainedge school district. The programs were great, I had my AP options, and felt I graduated well-prepared.

From the perspective of a child who grew up there -- I had many wonderful experiences there, always felt safe. There were parks to play in, friends on every street -- none of the driving X# of miles for a playdate. The LIRR was close by to get you into the city, we would bike to Jones Beach, take the buses to the malls.

Why don't I live there now? I am not a 'development' person, and enjoy having a larger piece of property.

Buona fortuna!
I live in Massapequa Park (well technically East Massapequa, but its the 11762 zipcode & Massapequa chool District) Their might still be some of the "connected" ties you speak of, but not much and not what it was. If any still exists though it would be in the general areas you speak of the wealthier areas down near the water.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:47 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,153 times
Quote:
the neighboring communtieis, you spoke of Wyandnach and Wheatley Heights earlier, I will agree Wyandanch is not exactly a good area, but what exactly do you have against Wheatley Heights??
I think a lot of folks issues with Wheatley Heights is that it is a lot like Wyandanch. I do not have personal knowledge of the area, but they are not regarded as nice areas. A small portion of Wheatley Heights goes to Half Hollow Hills, but otherwise, the perception is that it is a community struggling with typical poverty/lower income issues.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:11 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,396 times
Kings Park was traditionally Italian- lots of people moved there to work in the hospital. It was pretty middle class but hasd gentrified. You should google the town's site. My mom told me that there had been a contest once, almost 100 years ago, run by an Italian language Brooklyn newspaper. Winners got deeds to little plots of land in San Remo. The winners took the land & over the years built summer places there. Has anyone else heard this story?

Old 11-13-2007, 06:51 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,143,652 times
Quote:
I think a lot of folks issues with Wheatley Heights is that it is a lot like Wyandanch. I do not have personal knowledge of the area, but they are not regarded as nice areas. A small portion of Wheatley Heights goes to Half Hollow Hills, but otherwise, the perception is that it is a community struggling with typical poverty/lower income issues.
I remember looking at homes in WH. Back then it ranged from nice to very dicey.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Really the only similarity between Wheatley Heights Wyandanch is the large African American population. Wheatley Heights is NOT in the Wyandanch school district, it actually is in the HHH S.d (the border between Wyandnach and Wheatley Heights is generally the same as the wyandanch & HHH S.D border which is Nicolls Road.

As far as income and poverty, Wheatley Heights is very much a middle class area. the median income as of 2005 in Wheatley Heights was $88,700. Higher than much of the surrounding areas (Deer Park $71,200, North Babylon $75,700, Wyandnach $48,000, East farmingdale $80,500, West babylon $71,900. Not quite as high a Dix Hills, and Melville whom both have median incomes in excess of $100,000, but Wheatley heights has a higher median income than the vast majority of the other areas in the vicinity (the other areas which also tend to have a much larger white population than Wheatley Heights.

In fact Wheatley Heights income wise is more along the lines of SE Nassau (Masapequa Park $88,500, Massapequa $93,400, Seaford $87,600).

Due to Wheatley Heights having the same zipcode as Wyandnanch and it also having a large African American population people often get the misconception that its a bad area, a poor area, etc. Its absolutely not, its a predominately middle class area with income levels similar to that of Massapequa & Seaford.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:23 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,487,969 times
Default True: Wheatley Heights is not bad at all.

Quote:
Really the only similarity between Wheatley Heights Wyandanch is the large African American population. Wheatley Heights is NOT in the Wyandanch school district, it actually is in the HHH S.d (the border between Wyandnach and Wheatley Heights is generally the same as the wyandanch & HHH S.D border which is Nicolls Road.

As far as income and poverty, Wheatley Heights is very much a middle class area. the median income as of 2005 in Wheatley Heights was $88,700. Higher than much of the surrounding areas (Deer Park $71,200, North Babylon $75,700, Wyandnach $48,000, East farmingdale $80,500, West babylon $71,900. Not quite as high a Dix Hills, and Melville whom both have median incomes in excess of $100,000, but Wheatley heights has a higher median income than the vast majority of the other areas in the vicinity (the other areas which also tend to have a much larger white population than Wheatley Heights.

In fact Wheatley Heights income wise is more along the lines of SE Nassau (Masapequa Park $88,500, Massapequa $93,400, Seaford $87,600).

Due to Wheatley Heights having the same zipcode as Wyandnanch and it also having a large African American population people often get the misconception that its a bad area, a poor area, etc. Its absolutely not, its a predominately middle class area with income levels similar to that of Massapequa & Seaford.

There is really nothing wrong with Wheatley Heights. If you want to get into the Half Hollow School District and are willing to live in a more diverse setting then it is a real bargain. But it is next door, in the fullest sense, to Wyandanch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island