Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 08:08 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicolina View Post
Ah, I see. I wish there was one big website that had pictures of every town center on Long Island. The video clips on Newsday are somewhat helpful but there aren't that many of them.
This site does
Stats about all US cities - relocation info, maps, race, income, photos, education, crime, weather, houses, etc.

Also check out
City data, comparison and search. Cost of living comparison, index and calculator.

Heres some stuff on this area.
North Shore Beach Property Owners Association of Rocky Point, New York

Best
C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 08:15 PM

LMAO beehave.

C

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Clamboy! Please! Get your unleavened bread correct LOL It's not all RP Italian bread! MatzohPizza has it's share of wiseguys -- my classmate's father was killed in a hit on B'way a number of years back. My other friend's neighbor was Carlo Gambino. My best friend's dad hung out with some interesting characters from south Queens; turns out there was a Gotti in the group. This weren't no Badabing. This was da real deal.

The masonry on some of the older bungalows is a 'tad' overwrought and perhaps may be seen as a precursor for fucco....I lived in a real stucco Italian style bungalow in Islip Terrace for a few years; around the corner was a brick house that looked straight out of Brooklyn. The locals called it the Brooklyn house. I have to come to learn that I appreciate Craftsman style bungalows, not the Brooklyn model.

I do recall a number of RP homes with block walls, arbors and Marys on the Half Shell up and down the side streets. The owners are probably long dead now, stomping grapes in heaven and frying breaded zucchini flowers.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:11 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Except that if you cant afford Huntington...you cant afford a good part of Babylon Village or West islip either.

Theyre on par

C
I beg to differ on the affordability issue...in this market the 400's will get you this in Babylon: MLSLI.com - Find a Home
or this in West Islip:MLSLI.com - Find a Home. And that was a two second search on mlsli.com. You would be a little more central on the island and closer to the city, but get a little less house than in RP. As a sidebar, if you told Clammy you were irish, he would go on and on about the shamrock he discovered on his property when he first moved in...he is the unofficial Mayor of Rocky Point . Plus, in the current market homes hovering around 500k will fetch about 485 or lower in some cases as the market corrects (one man's opinion).

As for italian enclaves, I do not believe RP is any more italian than other parts of Town of Smithtown, Brookhaven, etc...Kings Park is 36.6%, Rocky Point is 37%. If you are looking for overly italian areas (nothing wrong with that, I married one ) then the references to Franklin Square, Babylon(s), West Islip and Massapequa (especially Massapequa in my experience) are probably the most italian. Babylon village has the most "classic" downtown, but it is not specifically italian. You will find more of an italian feel along Brooadway in Massapequa, or other areas in that town. Franklin Square was recently described to me as "Howard Beach" east. And when I grab a bite there for lunch every now and again it feels like a city borough, but in a good neighborhood way.

To NBRes who claimed the north shore tends to be more jewish...that is more perception than reality in a lot of cases, but relative to say a Smithtown (better than a third italian) the towns referenced above seem to be more italian in general. Again, you are on Long Island, so italian pride is pretty much in every community, to one degree or another. With Commack as a work destination you can be very flexible with location given various options. A trip out to the island will help you determine if some of these areas are too far off the beaten path for you, or too close to the city. Good luck to you!

Old 11-12-2007, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
I beg to differ on the affordability issue...in this market the 400's will get you this in Babylon: MLSLI.com - Find a Home
or this in West Islip:MLSLI.com - Find a Home. And that was a two second search on mlsli.com. You would be a little more central on the island and closer to the city, but get a little less house than in RP. As a sidebar, if you told Clammy you were irish, he would go on and on about the shamrock he discovered on his property when he first moved in...he is the unofficial Mayor of Rocky Point . Plus, in the current market homes hovering around 500k will fetch about 485 or lower in some cases as the market corrects (one man's opinion).

As for italian enclaves, I do not believe RP is any more italian than other parts of Town of Smithtown, Brookhaven, etc...Kings Park is 36.6%, Rocky Point is 37%. If you are looking for overly italian areas (nothing wrong with that, I married one ) then the references to Franklin Square, Babylon(s), West Islip and Massapequa (especially Massapequa in my experience) are probably the most italian. Babylon village has the most "classic" downtown, but it is not specifically italian. You will find more of an italian feel along Brooadway in Massapequa, or other areas in that town. Franklin Square was recently described to me as "Howard Beach" east. And when I grab a bite there for lunch every now and again it feels like a city borough, but in a good neighborhood way.

To NBRes who claimed the north shore tends to be more jewish...that is more perception than reality in a lot of cases, but relative to say a Smithtown (better than a third italian) the towns referenced above seem to be more italian in general. Again, you are on Long Island, so italian pride is pretty much in every community, to one degree or another. With Commack as a work destination you can be very flexible with location given various options. A trip out to the island will help you determine if some of these areas are too far off the beaten path for you, or too close to the city. Good luck to you!
Great post Jrprof

I agree with you on the Jewish thing.
(such is Nbres)

Only trouble with those listings is the location.
Ralph ave is basically a highway(I lived there)its the artery that connects 231 to 109

As for the WI listing its one off the Service road of Sunrise
Id pass.

RP does have a rocking St Patty's day too : )

C

Old 11-12-2007, 09:32 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,989 times
Didn't read all the replies but what about Smithtown? From what I know a large Italian population there.

May not be priced out at this point if you can afford the taxes and a NICE town center, along with a strong community feel...

Old 11-12-2007, 09:34 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,985 times
Default You are so critical sometimes...

Quote:
Great post Jrprof

I agree with you on the Jewish thing.
(such is Nbres)

Only trouble with those listings is the location.
Ralph ave is basically a highway(I lived there)its the artery that connects 231 to 109

As for the WI listing its one off the Service road of Sunrise
Id pass.

RP does have a rocking St Patty's day too : )

C

Two second search on mlsli.com my Clam friend...easy now...my point being, the current market makes a top end price of 450-485 doable in an area like WI and Babylon...in fact, I must admit that the entire housing market has me sweating what was potentially going to be another move for me...but I digress.

I might take you up on the St. Patty's parade; us lace curtain Fairfield County natives like a good party...in fact, all those that I know that moved to RP were irish, but they still like the bread...

Old 11-12-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Didn't read all the replies but what about Smithtown? From what I know a large Italian population there.

May not be priced out at this point if you can afford the taxes and a NICE town center, along with a strong community feel...
Really ...

Smithtown?

Jewish yes.

Italian wellllllllllllllll?

I would think if they cant afford Huntington...theyd struggle in Smithtown too.

Not too sure....Jrprof what say you?

C

Old 11-12-2007, 09:35 PM

[quote=jedwardjos;1981149]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicolina View Post
Also, guys, if there is a particularly good Italian-American community in Nassau we would certainly look at that, as long as it is within a reasonable commute to Commack. Thanks![/QUOTE
Franklin Square is about as Italian as it gets in Nassau. Never been to Commack so I don't know about the commute.
I second the notion of Frankin Square. VERY Italian....about as Italian as it gets.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:37 PM

[quote=Glad2BHere;1982766]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedwardjos View Post

I second the notion of Frankin Square. VERY Italian....about as Italian as it gets.
I learned somethin' new today.

I was unaware.

C

Old 11-12-2007, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Really ...

Smithtown?

Jewish yes.

Italian wellllllllllllllll?

I would think if they cant afford Huntington...theyd struggle in Smithtown too.

Not too sure....Jrprof what say you?

C
I know a bunch of people in Smithtown....loads of Italians there. Mostly Catholic to be honest too.

And I would also suggest Commack itself. Strong proportion of Italians there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island