Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 07:40 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,798,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmosandmind View Post
I'm with ya on that. Its not a Dem or Repub thing, both parties are the same. We have career politicians that have to be wheeled onto the floor in a wheelchair to vote! Its crazy. Our politicians have become the new aristocracy.
The public sector is the new aristocracy, on LI at least. When the wages, bennies and overtime are added up, many of them are part of the new 1%.

I'm not sure that voting makes much difference. The candidates are picked from a pool of hacks and cronies from within both parties, and the kingmakers have no love for political reformers. We are ensnared in this vicious cycle and I don't know if there's a way out, except for maybe a federal takeover.

The whole camera thing is so ham-handed it's like a pathetic joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 11:06 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,591,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Meh let them tax the lawbreakers instead of everybody. $10 million projections. Crazy stuff.

As said numerous times, fix the budget problem. Point the finger at the right people. Why the need to repeatedly make a case this is a money-grab by politicians is beyond me. We all know they need it already. You're blaming the enablers - the ones who have to play both sides - instead of the greedy ones. Where is 62% of this money going to again? Where do the astronomical school taxes go again?
I actually do blame the enablers more than the greedy people. Regardless of whether it is right, its the Union's job to get the best possible compensation and working conditions for its labors. On the other hand, its the politicians' (your "enablers") job to balance the budget while ensuring that necessary services are provided to its constituency. Obviously, the former is doing a better job than the latter, so I know where to place the blame.

Ultimately, the cozy relationship between the politicians (who have little incentive to say "no" to the unions) and the unions will have to end or the County will end up bankrupt.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:26 AM

9,173 posts, read 13,261,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primeline31 View Post
Here’s how Long Island state legislators voted on a bill to install 125 school-zone speed cameras on the Island.

Remember them when you vote next month!

Senate
Nassau

Kemp Hannon (R-Garden City) …Y.
Carl Marcellino (R-Syosset) …Y.
Jack Martins (R-Mineola) …Y.
Dean Skelos (R-Rockville Centre) ...Y.

Suffolk
Phil Boyle (R-Bay Shore) …Y.
John Flanagan (R-East Northport) …N.
Kenneth LaValle (R-Port Jefferson) …N .
Lee Zeldin (R-Shirley) …N.

Assembly
Nassau

Brian Curran (R-Lynbrook) …Y.
Earlene Hooper (D-Hempstead) …Y.
Charles Lavine (D-Glen Cove) …Y.
David McDonough (R-Merrick) …Y.
Thomas McKevitt (R-East Meadow) …Y.
Michael Montesano (R-Glen Head) …Y.
Edward Ra (R-Franklin Square) …Y.
Joseph Saladino (R-Massapequa) …Y.
Michelle Schimel (D-Great Neck) …Y.
Michaelle Solages (D-Elmont) …Y.
Harvey Weisenberg (D-Long Beach) … absent.

Suffolk
Steven Englebright (D-Setauket) …Y.
Michael Fitzpatrick (R-St. James) …N.
Andrew Garbarino (R-Sayville) …Y.
Alfred Graf (R-Holbrook) … absent.
Edward Hennessey (D-Brookhaven) …Y.
Chad Lupinacci (R-Huntington) …Y.

Anthony Palumbo (R-New Suffolk) …Y.
Andrew Raia (R-East Northport) …Y.
Philip Ramos (D-Brentwood) … absent.
Robert Sweeney (D-Lindenhurst) …Y.
Fred Thiele Jr. (I-Sag Harbor) …Y.

Source (requires a login), Newsday April 30, 2014 by journalist Yancy Roy:
How LI lawmakers voted on school-zone speed cameras - Newsday
Thank you very much for the information. I intend to spread the word. I do not think the politicians realize just how angry people are becoming.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:01 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,892,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Obviously, the former is doing a better job than the latter, so I know where to place the blame.
If you call threatening the public, their source of income essentially, by stopping services (mass transit, teaching, etc.) doing a better job...

They only have to worry about themselves. The politicians need to worry about both, because they want to be re-elected. Their hands are tied to a large degree... one follows another's work and struggle to fix things. Fix the pre-existing problem perpetuated by the still-existent public-sector clans that are banned in many other states. What makes this state different? If it's the politician that will not get rid of them, then it's because he doesn't want to lose votes. Again the doing of the clan, and again, the politician is just another puppet for another term. Even they are held hostage along with the rest of us. I have no problem with unions as long as WE the innocent public aren't the ones bowing to their demands. When it affects us, and they know it, then it's just pure greed.

Unrelated - when exactly will this become "unsustainable" and when exactly are we going "bankrupt"? Because I'd like it to be sooner than later for obvious reasons.

Last edited by ovi8; 10-09-2014 at 12:11 PM..

Old 10-09-2014, 12:25 PM

413 posts, read 599,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Unrelated - when exactly will this become "unsustainable" and when exactly are we going "bankrupt"? Because I'd like it to be sooner than later for obvious reasons.

Don't worry, NIFA will take a nap and the politicos will find a way to crowbar in borrowing so the decline will continue just slowly enough that we don't see it coming...none of the systemic problems will be addressed, just kicked down the road, the LI way.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:42 PM

200 posts, read 380,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Thank you very much for the information. I intend to spread the word. I do not think the politicians realize just how angry people are becoming.
I think they are getting a hint. Check out the comments posted by citizens on the official Nassau County school zone camera page. You don't have to belong to facebook to just view:

https://www.facebook.com/NassauSchoo...yCameraProgram

Old 10-09-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I think they are getting a hint. Check out the comments posted by citizens on the official Nassau County school zone camera page. You don't have to belong to facebook to just view:

https://www.facebook.com/NassauSchoo...yCameraProgram
There's a FB group that's anti-camera. I encourage you all to join.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/344776372340791/

Old 10-09-2014, 02:21 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,892,286 times
There's a few... here's another with 328 members: https://www.facebook.com/groups/695560877203175/

Old 10-09-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
I think they are getting a hint. Check out the comments posted by citizens on the official Nassau County school zone camera page.
Even so, I wonder if they care. They seem to go ahead and do what they please, no matter how infuriated the public gets.

Old 10-09-2014, 04:49 PM

5,862 posts, read 3,302,153 times
The only way they will care is if they feel like you will vote them outta office! So normally they win 59% to 41% they now win 58% to 42%. They just don't give a dam!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island