Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 01:17 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,084,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
I signed the petition, but the problem with these sites is they send you a torrent of email after you sign anything. Participating means you're now a site member. It's hard getting off these lists, and ipetition has no working unsubscribe link in their emails.
Lesser of two evils there.

The main thing to remember is, petition or not, the cameras aren't going anywhere. They're not there for safety, they're there for money. The county (Suffolk too) is too far in the whole to remove something they've already poured money into and has the probability of bring in far more revenue. We're all going to have to get used to the cameras, just like we did with the red light cameras.

Be lucky we're not in other states where they have speed cameras on highways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 01:25 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,798,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmosandmind View Post
Newsday Article:

"Nassau County's Traffic and Parking Violations Agency no longer will disclose when new speed cameras come online or how many devices are operating at any given time, and instead has issued a list of 77 school zones where the cameras potentially can operate."

Policy change: Nassau withholds locations of active speed cameras - Newsday
Also from the article:

"County Legis. Judy Jacobs (D-Woodbury) said she's heard from constituents who have received 11 tickets in just over a month, impacting their ability to purchase food, clothes and gas.

Jacobs, who, like all 19 Nassau legislators voted for the camera program, wrote to Mangano this week urging him "stop the program cold, now, and reassess how to continue in a fair and equitable way, rather than starting up additional cameras."

It's good at least seeing this one squirm. Cuomo I think will win, but I hope a few of them get picked off on election day. I don't even care what party they're in. I'm a registered Democrat and will vote for Astorino.

Old 10-10-2014, 01:45 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,084,968 times
Quote:
Also from the article:

"County Legis. Judy Jacobs (D-Woodbury) said she's heard from constituents who have received 11 tickets in just over a month, impacting their ability to purchase food, clothes and gas.

Jacobs, who, like all 19 Nassau legislators voted for the camera program, wrote to Mangano this week urging him "stop the program cold, now, and reassess how to continue in a fair and equitable way, rather than starting up additional cameras."

It's good at least seeing this one squirm. Cuomo I think will win, but I hope a few of them get picked off on election day. I don't even care what party they're in. I'm a registered Democrat and will vote for Astorino.
I'm sorry, but how hard is is to stop speeding in a school zone? If you know you're passing a school where a camera is, SLOW DOWN to 20mph!!! Don't worry about what other cars are doing, just make sure you're doing 20mph.

Old 10-11-2014, 05:16 AM

200 posts, read 380,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
Lesser of two evils there.

The main thing to remember is, petition or not, the cameras aren't going anywhere. They're not there for safety, they're there for money. The county (Suffolk too) is too far in the whole to remove something they've already poured money into and has the probability of bring in far more revenue. We're all going to have to get used to the cameras, just like we did with the red light cameras.

Be lucky we're not in other states where they have speed cameras on highways.
You never know Skeeter. They took took them out in Ohio because of public outrage (google for the info). I do agree with you though that we are no longer represented and that we are now just governed so I get your cynicism.

To your other point on slowing down. I think everyone here agrees that speeding and aggressive driving are out of control on Long Island. No one will argue that. Its the disingenuous way that our pols have implemented the cameras and the reasons why they have that has many people riled up.

Also, think about, if people were speeding through school zones and there are no stats on an inordinate amount of kids being hit then that indicates, to me anyway, that the 20 mile speed limit can be safely raised to the normal 30mph speed limits in most towns.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:55 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,501,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Please tell us what the alternative to getting funding for cops raises is... then decide whether this - ticketing only violators - was actually a bad idea.
Nassau employees and cops never received a raise. They had their wages, which were illegally frozen for 3 years, unfrozen to the original contract plus givebacks.

Ed Mangano blew a 60 million dollar hole in then budget by eliminating the energy tax and continuing to give out million dollar contracts and $100,000 patronage jobs to Republican club contributors.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:15 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,798,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post

Ed Mangano blew a 60 million dollar hole in then budget by eliminating the energy tax and continuing to give out million dollar contracts and $100,000 patronage jobs to Republican club contributors.
Maybe I'm on the wrong side. Would love a $100K no-show job. Do want!

Old 10-11-2014, 09:17 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,247,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeroz View Post
This is actually what economists call a good tax ... i.e you are taxing the behavor that you do not want -- i.e speeding near school zones ... vs increasing taxes on corporations etc ... which is a bad tax -- because it discourages the behavior you do want ...
So i still do not see what the big deal is ...slow down
Exactly. I drive through a school zone that has a camera at least twice/day and some how I have managed to get zero tickets just by slowing down to the correct speed limit for a whole 20 seconds. Of course the cameras are there for the money and not safety but it is so simple to not get a ticket by just driving the speed limit for a few seconds that you are a dummy if you get them, especially more than once.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,043 times
if you believe this is wrong and you in any small way want to help, start by joining this FB page please ,it will post all the times dates and where we are going to fight this.
its called Nassau County Protests The School Zone Camera Speed Safety Program

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nassa...page_new_likes

Old 10-11-2014, 01:47 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,501,489 times
Quote:
Maybe I'm on the wrong side. Would love a $100K no-show job. Do want!
Make a donation to you local GOP club.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:57 AM

413 posts, read 599,299 times
I'm opposed to this indirect tax scam but if some dimwit got 11 tickets in 1 month they should lose their license or spend the next month in a cell. Preferably with the legislature members in the next cells.

It's another idiotic LI dichotomy. Just because the cameras ARE a money grab scam doesn't mean it's OK to speed through school zones. Only in LI politics does nonsense like this become mutually exclusive points?! Arrgghhh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island