Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 08:46 PM

30 posts, read 88,832 times

Advertisements

Here’s how Long Island state legislators voted on a bill to install 125 school-zone speed cameras on the Island.

Remember them when you vote next month!

Senate
Nassau

Kemp Hannon (R-Garden City) …Y.
Carl Marcellino (R-Syosset) …Y.
Jack Martins (R-Mineola) …Y.
Dean Skelos (R-Rockville Centre) ...Y.

Suffolk
Phil Boyle (R-Bay Shore) …Y.
John Flanagan (R-East Northport) …N.
Kenneth LaValle (R-Port Jefferson) …N .
Lee Zeldin (R-Shirley) …N.

Assembly
Nassau

Brian Curran (R-Lynbrook) …Y.
Earlene Hooper (D-Hempstead) …Y.
Charles Lavine (D-Glen Cove) …Y.
David McDonough (R-Merrick) …Y.
Thomas McKevitt (R-East Meadow) …Y.
Michael Montesano (R-Glen Head) …Y.
Edward Ra (R-Franklin Square) …Y.
Joseph Saladino (R-Massapequa) …Y.
Michelle Schimel (D-Great Neck) …Y.
Michaelle Solages (D-Elmont) …Y.
Harvey Weisenberg (D-Long Beach) … absent.

Suffolk
Steven Englebright (D-Setauket) …Y.
Michael Fitzpatrick (R-St. James) …N.
Andrew Garbarino (R-Sayville) …Y.
Alfred Graf (R-Holbrook) … absent.
Edward Hennessey (D-Brookhaven) …Y.
Chad Lupinacci (R-Huntington) …Y.

Anthony Palumbo (R-New Suffolk) …Y.
Andrew Raia (R-East Northport) …Y.
Philip Ramos (D-Brentwood) … absent.
Robert Sweeney (D-Lindenhurst) …Y.
Fred Thiele Jr. (I-Sag Harbor) …Y.

Source (requires a login), Newsday April 30, 2014 by journalist Yancy Roy:
How LI lawmakers voted on school-zone speed cameras - Newsday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 08:05 AM

414 posts, read 808,394 times
In all honesty, all politicians suck. They should all be voted out and the slate wiped clean. We need a reset of govt.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:43 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Please tell us what the alternative to getting funding for cops raises is... then decide whether this - ticketing only violators - was actually a bad idea.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:49 AM

56 posts, read 89,031 times
I don't get it at all. There are plenty of warnings for the cameras. Flashing lights, YOUR SPEED flashers and don't forget the signs that say PHOTO/VIDEO enforced school zone.
Its really ridiculous. They also give a 10MPH buffer. SLOW down!!!

Old 10-07-2014, 09:59 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,082,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat123 View Post
I don't get it at all. There are plenty of warnings for the cameras. Flashing lights, YOUR SPEED flashers and don't forget the signs that say PHOTO/VIDEO enforced school zone.
Exactly. The counties have to close their deficits somehow. And at least they're only in schools and not all over.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:09 AM

198 posts, read 252,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat123 View Post
I am with you

Old 10-07-2014, 03:00 PM

70 posts, read 121,560 times
I'd rather them raise taxes a couple of dollars than deal with this.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:12 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,582,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Please tell us what the alternative to getting funding for cops raises is... then decide whether this - ticketing only violators - was actually a bad idea.
The alternative is not capitulating to the public workforce and continuing the spiral of what will prove to be ultimately unaffordable employee compensation instead of trying to harangue the last dollar out of locals under a guise of "public safety" in such a pathetic manner that the people implementing it are not even trying to pretend is it is anything other than a money-grab.

Speed cameras, 2% tax hikes, etc... none of them address the real budgetary problem. The 2,200 Police and fire employees in Nassau County average approximately $158,000 in base salary per year. Think about that number. Without counting the generous benefits that come with the job, the *average* base salary is approximately the same as the the national mean for a pediatrician (who had to attend 4 years of medical school and 3 years of residency just to start earning) and higher than the national mean for attorneys ($132k), pilots ($131k), aerospace engineers ($103k), and about three times as much as nurses ($68K), social workers ($44K), and the national average for law enforcement officers ($55k).

I will grant you that the cost of living his higher in Nassau county (in no small part due to the tax burden), but the premise that Nassau County police officers make 50% more than the average rocket scientist or judge boggles my mind.

Public employees used to have a pact with the government whereby they accepted lower salary than the private sector in exchange for job security and superior benefits. Now, they have retained the latter two while obtaining salary as good as, if not better than, those in the private sector, which is largely perpetuated by the fact that politicians have little incentive to trim those budgets. Its not sustainable in the long- or medium-term and speed cameras are like giving an aspirin to an Ebola patient.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:51 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,795,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
The alternative is not capitulating to the public workforce and continuing the spiral of what will prove to be ultimately unaffordable employee compensation instead of trying to harangue the last dollar out of locals under a guise of "public safety" in such a pathetic manner that the people implementing it are not even trying to pretend is it is anything other than a money-grab.

Speed cameras, 2% tax hikes, etc... none of them address the real budgetary problem. The 2,200 Police and fire employees in Nassau County average approximately $158,000 in base salary per year. Think about that number. Without counting the generous benefits that come with the job, the *average* base salary is approximately the same as the the national mean for a pediatrician (who had to attend 4 years of medical school and 3 years of residency just to start earning) and higher than the national mean for attorneys ($132k), pilots ($131k), aerospace engineers ($103k), and about three times as much as nurses ($68K), social workers ($44K), and the national average for law enforcement officers ($55k).

I will grant you that the cost of living his higher in Nassau county (in no small part due to the tax burden), but the premise that Nassau County police officers make 50% more than the average rocket scientist or judge boggles my mind.

Public employees used to have a pact with the government whereby they accepted lower salary than the private sector in exchange for job security and superior benefits. Now, they have retained the latter two while obtaining salary as good as, if not better than, those in the private sector, which is largely perpetuated by the fact that politicians have little incentive to trim those budgets. Its not sustainable in the long- or medium-term and speed cameras are like giving an aspirin to an Ebola patient.
I'm friends with many liberal/progressive writer types living in other parts of the country where union workers are often underpaid. When I express these points you made, they reject everything I say and they leap to defend union workers. Expressing these realities pushes their defense of the workin' man buttons, and I keep getting stereotyped as anti-labor, right-winger, reactionary, Tea Partier, whathaveyou. They just don't get it.

Right-wingers in other parts of the country blame Democrats 100% for union abuse everywhere. They refuse to accept that politicians belonging to both parties on LI got us to this stage. Like the liberals, they also don't get it.

LI sets the standard for out of this world patronage, waste and reckless abuse of taxpayers. Only another Long Islander would understand this.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:29 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Why didn't you just say to abolish public sector unions if it's that easy to deny these people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island