Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2015, 04:08 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Really? Don't make me laugh! Doesn't look like peace and quality of life is a biggie in many of the "LI Expat Paradises." People are just blinded by the CHEAPNESS. Not surprising, the cheapo South is heavily represented on this list and NY didn't even make the list. Well cheapness is as cheapness does ...

The Most Violent Crime-Ridden States in America - TheStreet

Maryland
Florida
Louisiana
Delaware
South Carolina
New Mexico
Alaska
Nevada
Tennessee
Washington D.C.

Now for:

The Drunkest States in America - TheStreet

Illinois
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Iowa
Minnesota
Wisconsin
South Dakota
Rhode Island
North Dakota
District of Columbia

With the exception of the two time southern losers on both lists (Louisiana and D.C.), looks like this one is dominated by cheapo armpit flyover states and icy frozen hells no human being should live in (but they do and then they wonder why they're depressed and drinking). Newsflash: There's a REASON people drink so much in flyover country. And we didn't even get into the major cash crop of the midwest: methamphetamine and its addicts. Again, cheapness is as cheapness does! Arrivederci!
What's your point? Some consider Long Island to be the heroin capital of the United States. Tons of druggies on Long Island. They may not be brewing over a meth pot, but they are definitely popping pills and shooting up. In fact, as authorities crack down on prescription drug abuse, places like Long Island are probably going to get even more dangerous as druggies try to get their fix. As I recall, it wasn't too long ago that a druggie shot a pharmacist execution style in Medford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 04:18 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,148,598 times
I always enjoyed these rational discussions about Long Island versus the world. Both sides just bring up so many excellent points.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:29 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,798,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Really? Don't make me laugh! Doesn't look like peace and quality of life is a biggie in many of the "LI Expat Paradises." People are just blinded by the CHEAPNESS. Not surprising, the cheapo South is heavily represented on this list and NY didn't even make the list. Well cheapness is as cheapness does ...

The Most Violent Crime-Ridden States in America - TheStreet

Maryland
Florida
Louisiana
Delaware
South Carolina
New Mexico
Alaska
Nevada
Tennessee
Washington D.C.

Now for:

The Drunkest States in America - TheStreet

Illinois
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Iowa
Minnesota
Wisconsin
South Dakota
Rhode Island
North Dakota
District of Columbia

With the exception of the two time southern losers on both lists (Louisiana and D.C.), looks like this one is dominated by cheapo armpit flyover states and icy frozen hells no human being should live in (but they do and then they wonder why they're depressed and drinking). Newsflash: There's a REASON people drink so much in flyover country. And we didn't even get into the major cash crop of the midwest: methamphetamine and its addicts. Again, cheapness is as cheapness does! Arrivederci!
What about the other states not on the list? There must be about 40 unmentioned here. All of them tax lower than NY, LI in particular. While we're at it, crime rates are unevenly distributed in every state.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:30 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,325,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
There is a ton of trash on Long Island. As NYC gentrifies, all the illegals and trash are being pushed out on to the island. Mastic Shirley, Central Islip, Wyandanch, Brentwood, Huntington Station, all trash - the list goes on and on.
Really? I didn't know trash was being pushed out there, though I haven't been in the loop for a number of years...The towns listed above have been going downhill for a long time now. They're worse than they were 10 years ago?

Quote:
Yes, outside of Long Island everyone is on welfare and has sex with their relatives.
This makes me go brrrrr...

Quote:
What's your point? Some consider Long Island to be the heroin capital of the United States. Tons of druggies on Long Island. They may not be brewing over a meth pot, but they are definitely popping pills and shooting up. In fact, as authorities crack down on prescription drug abuse, places like Long Island are probably going to get even more dangerous as druggies try to get their fix. As I recall, it wasn't too long ago that a druggie shot a pharmacist execution style in Medford.
This is news to me. I didn't know there was anything beyond extremely small amounts of heroin there. If there is, they must be sniffing it. I can't see people there injecting drugs.

Prescription drug abuse is all over the country.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:15 PM

160 posts, read 290,910 times
Very entertaining thread...here's my 2 cents:

Left Northport, LI in 1994 for Birmingham, AL. Expected to return to LI after 2-3 years, but career was going too well to leave.

Do I enjoy where I live now? Yes.
Do I miss Long Island? Absolutely.
Would I like to move back to LI? Yes.
Would moving back to NY be a smart decision? Absolutely not. I could not even come close to maintaining my current lifestyle on LI, and being here allows me to provide opportunities for my 3 kids that I could not provide living paycheck to paycheck up there.

Many current residents of LI on this thread are getting very offended about other posters who bash LI, but are then very quick to bash "the South" with some very outdated stereotypical representations of anything below the Mason-Dixon Line. I think posters on both sides of this "issue" need to realize that every place doesn't work for everyone, and bashing places that other people call home is simply disrespectful.

I love and miss Long Island, but it is possible to be happy and thrive elsewhere.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:18 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,775,033 times
Quote:
Lol!!! Heroin Capitol of the United states???! Bwahahahaha! Please stick to subjects you actually know something about, which judging by your previous posts isn't much.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:24 PM

413 posts, read 599,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerphysio View Post
Very entertaining thread...here's my 2 cents:

Left Northport, LI in 1994 for Birmingham, AL. Expected to return to LI after 2-3 years, but career was going too well to leave.

Do I enjoy where I live now? Yes.
Do I miss Long Island? Absolutely.
Would I like to move back to LI? Yes.
Would moving back to NY be a smart decision? Absolutely not. I could not even come close to maintaining my current lifestyle on LI, and being here allows me to provide opportunities for my 3 kids that I could not provide living paycheck to paycheck up there.

Many current residents of LI on this thread are getting very offended about other posters who bash LI, but are then very quick to bash "the South" with some very outdated stereotypical representations of anything below the Mason-Dixon Line. I think posters on both sides of this "issue" need to realize that every place doesn't work for everyone, and bashing places that other people call home is simply disrespectful.

I love and miss Long Island, but it is possible to be happy and thrive elsewhere.
Actually most of the defensive LIers here bash LI like crazy, but then we live here and want to fix it. It's one or two annoying, persistent, instigating posters who get everyone heated up and in defensive mode and then act magnanimous, tossing out BS, phony stats and acting like their 1st amendment rights are violated when you call them out on their trollish behavior. We understand the problems. Not necessary for a Pittsburg transplant nit-wit who apparently never paid a LI property tax to constantly start antagonistic threads. Oh well, you can take the troll out of LI but you can't take LI out of the troll!

Old 01-11-2015, 06:32 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,764,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
house or attached condo/row house/townhouse? No one disputes it's often cheaper to live outside the NY area, but let's at least try to compare apples to apples.
*crickets*

Old 01-11-2015, 06:33 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,764,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
Do you even have kids in the schools? Saying "my school district provides great value" is saying nothing at all. Give us a stat, a ranking, anything....
*crickets*

Old 01-11-2015, 06:51 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,226,177 times
Jeez, this OP is just terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island