Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 02:47 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToGo View Post
Bay Shore has overcome a lot. The X-rated theater, the Pilgrim State hotels, the Smith Street blight, the apartment squatters of the Dominey Block and even a tent city that existed in parking lot behind theater (YMCA now). The community involvement has always been strong and it shows.
You sound quite familiar with the situation... BS native? And yes, downtown BS has quickly evolved from a wasteland to one of the liveliest spots on LI.

As for Lindenhurst... it must be going downhill when you have racist white trash sending nastygrams to black families. It made headlines all over the country so I'll assume you know what I'm talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 09:04 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post
You sound quite familiar with the situation... BS native? And yes, downtown BS has quickly evolved from a wasteland to one of the liveliest spots on LI.

As for Lindenhurst... it must be going downhill when you have racist white trash sending nastygrams to black families. It made headlines all over the country so I'll assume you know what I'm talking about.

I am sure the black family is nice. But a lot of folks in that town sees home after home being sold off cheap post sandy and a lot of shady folks are buying dragging neighborhood down. it is the one/two punch from Sandy.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:10 PM

159 posts, read 279,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
I am sure the black family is nice. But a lot of folks in that town sees home after home being sold off cheap post sandy and a lot of shady folks are buying dragging neighborhood down. it is the one/two punch from Sandy.
Lindenhurst is already filled with guido's, heroin junkies and WT; which is pretty shady. They're lucky that *anybody* is buying those flood houses and paying mega-high flood insurance to live in that dump.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:05 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
"Black family" and "shady folks" are not mutually inclusive, except in the eyes of racist WT.

Old 05-25-2015, 04:57 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post

And how do you know "white trash" even sent the letter? These type of hoaxes happen all the time sometimes to push an agenda or even to get sympathy money. I'm not saying the family themselves did it, but there is certainly no proof it was the stereotypical "racist white trash" either. Anyone could have dropped that letter.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:16 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,908,099 times
I was lookin up some old threads and I wonder if this is the person who left the note? I don't mean to point fingers or jump to conclusions but it looks very suspicious to say the least. She was very outspoken about her hatred/dislike for other groups and she also cited a racial makeup percentage in the same way as the letter. She's also from the same part of Lindy as the victim family. Look at her usage of the word "population". Same writing style.

You be the judge..

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellaPrice
i don't know about everybody else, but the fact that my town lindenhurst has a name of " lily white" gives me nothing but pleasure. i love this town. honestly, i'm a racist myself & i'm thrilled that this town has mostly white people living in it. i moved from brooklyn a couple of months ago & i can not be happier here. i was very unhappy in brooklyn. mostly, i'm satisfied with my 6 year old daughter's elementary school, which is alleghany. the best school ever, i think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StellaPrice View Post
i have lived in the south side of lindenhurst for 1.5 years now. my family & i moved here from brooklyn & it was the best move that we have ever made not only for us, but also for our daughter. she goes to alleghany avenue elementary school & i can not be more satisfied. the teachers actually pay attention to the children & spend time with them if they need extra help, which my daughter does. i love the fact that lindenhurst is 86% white, but i wish that it was more then that. there are some spanish & black families who live here, but very little compared to brooklyn. one of the main reasons we moved was because we wanted to be around white / american people. we are so glad that most people here speak english & that it's there only language. in brooklyn, there was so much mixture of people & languages, that we were confused & irritated being outside. some people here speak polish, but that's ok, because it's just a few people. my 7 year old daughter is in 2 grade & finally has friends. when we were in brooklyn, she didn't have any friends, since we are american & most people there were mixed & spoke other languages. we bought our house, we are not renters. we live around lindenhurst diner area, montauk highway & we are extremely happy with our neighborhood. it's quite, which is also a huge factor for us. all the stores & food places that we use are in our area. we also love to go to massapequa westfield sunrise mall ( amityville train stop ). we love it there. not too far. the mall has mixture of people, but again compare to brooklyn, it's nothing. during hurricane sandy, our block lost power for 3 days & nothing else. we didn't get flooded, we are about 30 minutes away walking from venetian shores beach. we were fine, thank g-d. we are also close to the train ( LIRR ) that my husband uses every day to go to manhattan to work. he walks 10 minutes to it.
Quote:
no, not males & females, different races. brooklyn has much more mixture, then lindenhurst. we can't wait to move. tired of seeing mixed people & hearing different languages.
Quote:
definitely lindenhurst over ronkonkoma. lindenhurst has better schools & is more quiet. ronkonkoma has more mixed population & has an airport.
Quote:
never move from lindenhurst to brooklyn! i'm moving from brooklyn to lindenhurst in a few months & i can't wait. brooklyn is too mixed & too noisy. lindenhurst is quiet, has great schools & the population is amazing. can't wait to live there.
Quote:
brooklyn is nothing compared to lindenhurst. brooklyn is loud, mixed & low class. lindenhurst is quiet, peaceful & has great schools. i'm moving there soon from brooklyn & i can't wait.

http://abc7news.com/news/racist-lett...g-here/739416/

Source Links-
//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...mmunity-3.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...l#post23567161
//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...l#post32200344
//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...l#post23349800
//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...l#post23349912
//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...l#post23349760

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 05-25-2015 at 07:35 AM..

Old 05-25-2015, 09:25 AM

181 posts, read 445,055 times
Just to respond to a couple of things. I am white and couldn't really care less about that recent story about black neighbors moving in. That wasn't what I had in mind when I originally started this thread. It was mainly about the vacancy of so many buildings in the core of the town. Hopefully something good replaces that old CVS!

I'm actually from Bay Shore and could agree that place has really transformed over the years. I've always considered some elements of Lindenhurst to be somewhat trashy but otherwise not bad for a guy like me.

Funny mention about the LIRR - yeah, it's nice to have a station, but interestingly enough, it's one of the most "overpriced" stops on the Babylon line. One of the last stops, can get a seat but not necessarily the "best" seats, and you have to pay for parking. I can drive to Copiague and park freely - lessening my commute and expenses. If I went to Babylon, I may have to pay a parking fee, but I could hitch those Montauk trains that skip over the local stops and shave my commute time significantly.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:57 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
The person who sent that letter could have been black. I worked with a women who was black and lived with her husband in a super rich small exclusive North Shore town. She was 100% against blacks moving into her neighborhood. One or two black families she used to say is trendy and keeps values up

Old 05-25-2015, 09:57 AM

402 posts, read 518,804 times
I wasnt surprised when i read this but for the most part, i always thought Lindenhurst was not too great of a neighborhood. Ten- Fifteen years ago, i had a few friends from that area and none of them came from stellar families.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:40 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,067,372 times
I think Sandy has changed a lot of south shore towns. Not sure about Lindenhurst specifically, but most of the towns on the Babylon line had their most prestigious neighborhoods south of Merrick Road... and a lot of that area flooded. Homes that were untouchable for the average Joe are now selling for much less, and being purchased by all different kinds of people. Business owners might be leery of setting up shop... or might be priced out because of insurance premiums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToGo View Post
Bay Shore has overcome a lot. The X-rated theater, the Pilgrim State hotels, the Smith Street blight, the apartment squatters of the Dominey Block and even a tent city that existed in parking lot behind theater (YMCA now). The community involvement has always been strong and it shows.
The schools have done better also. The former superintendent Dr. Holman made it her mission to turn the schools around. They are performing significantly better than they were fifteen or twenty years ago.

Last edited by GiveMeCoffee; 05-26-2015 at 06:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island