Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 12:33 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,325,464 times

Advertisements

So if you depend on either Waldbaums or Pathmark you may be in for an improvement or a decline.
Some stores are becoming Stop & Shops (which is a small improvement over the former), and the 3 lucky stores which are Pathmarks in NHP & Bethpage as well as Waldbaums in Deer Park will become Shop-Rites (the best supermarket IMO).
Unfortunately for other communities they are not so lucky. The Waldbaums in Carle Place is closing, which now leaves the Stop & Shop in Country Glen Center in Carle Place the ONLY Full Size grocer in the entire Westbury, Carle Place, and Mineola area. Key Food has purchased some of the older Waldbaums stores like in Albertson, now if you've been to the Key Food in Kings Park you know its kind of nasty, kind of a ghetto supermarket if you ask me (like Bravo, C-Town, or Associated/Fine Fare).
Some of the other shockers are that the nice, busy Waldbaums on N.Broadway in Jericho has been bid on by H-Mart, an Asian Grocery store. That community will now lose its only large full service grocer.
Feel bad for the folks without cars, of whom at least some live in those apts by that Waldbaums, unfortunately there is no public transportation to the Shop-Rite on South Oyster Bay Road.
Not sure why that Waldbaums wasn't acquired by Stop & Shop (or even King Kullen), but there is already several Asian style groceries in that area. Its not a good fit and it will also mean the employees there will lose their jobs. H-Mart does not carry any western brands, its all asian stuff.
The Pathmark in Centereach is also closing, now leaving a food desert in that area as well.
The nearest supermarkets will be King Kullen & Shop-Rite down the road in Selden. Centereach has lost both of its supermarkets, Waldbaums & Pathmark and the community is on a downhill slide, more illegals moving in along 25, some bodegas too.
These changes will already add salt to the wound that seems to be growing on LI.
Some places will see improvements but others lose their only place to get food.
The Waldbaums in Rocky Point has been bid on by Foodtown as well, which honestly does not belong there, Shop-Rite should have gotten that store.
This was a real opportunity for Shop-Rite to make major inroads on LI, kinda disappointed. In NJ, every town has a Shop-Rite, it should be the same way here.

Over 4,000 Long Island workers could lose jobs in A&P bankruptcy | Newsday

Unions King Kullen H Mart Best Market among A&P bid winners | A&P Bankruptcy 2015 content from Supermarket News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 02:51 AM

431 posts, read 1,311,218 times
Glad ShopRite is coming to Deer Park. What is happening with Pathmark in North Babylon?

Old 10-09-2015, 05:54 AM

61 posts, read 127,614 times
I'm sorry to see Waldbaums go.. I had started a thread about this a while ago, when I was told that they were leaving.. So sad..

But in one sense. A Shop-rite will be a good store to have.. Their prices are fair more reasonable than either Waldbaums/and Stop & Shop.. so it will be a welcome addition to the area.

I am hoping that being they need help.. they'll first offer the employee's of Waldbaums (at the deer park location) an opportunity to stay with the store. (as it will now be Shop-rite). that would be really a good idea.. so employee's wont have to search for another job elsewhere.

BUT.. on that same note. If anybody is reading this from either Waldbaums/or Pathmark..

Know that Stew Leonards is opening at Airport Plaza and it's going to need ALOT of help.. I hear that they have opened a store front. in that shopping center as a job opportunity to find help for the Stew Leonards.

I have a friend who works at Stew's in CT. and it's an awesome place to work..

So I'm looking forward to the new store opening (I think it's scheduled for Jan).

So.. as I said.. Sad to see Waldbaum's leaving.. But hopefully employee's will have the opportunity to work for Shop- Rite..

Helene

Old 10-09-2015, 06:08 AM

13,057 posts, read 18,133,701 times
The Albertson store may be in jeopardy. Recently the Albertson Civic Assn. met and the residents were told that Speigel and Associates has rejected the offer made by Key Foods. Now this could be the normal course of, bid - reject - rebid, etc. or it could be an end to that chain entering the market. It remains to be seen.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:09 AM

3,526 posts, read 5,709,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
So if you depend on either Waldbaums or Pathmark you may be in for an improvement or a decline.
Some stores are becoming Stop & Shops (which is a small improvement over the former), and the 3 lucky stores which are Pathmarks in NHP & Bethpage as well as Waldbaums in Deer Park will become Shop-Rites (the best supermarket IMO).
Unfortunately for other communities they are not so lucky. The Waldbaums in Carle Place is closing, which now leaves the Stop & Shop in Country Glen Center in Carle Place the ONLY Full Size grocer in the entire Westbury, Carle Place, and Mineola area. Key Food has purchased some of the older Waldbaums stores like in Albertson, now if you've been to the Key Food in Kings Park you know its kind of nasty, kind of a ghetto supermarket if you ask me (like Bravo, C-Town, or Associated/Fine Fare).
Some of the other shockers are that the nice, busy Waldbaums on N.Broadway in Jericho has been bid on by H-Mart, an Asian Grocery store. That community will now lose its only large full service grocer.
Feel bad for the folks without cars, of whom at least some live in those apts by that Waldbaums, unfortunately there is no public transportation to the Shop-Rite on South Oyster Bay Road.
Not sure why that Waldbaums wasn't acquired by Stop & Shop (or even King Kullen), but there is already several Asian style groceries in that area. Its not a good fit and it will also mean the employees there will lose their jobs. H-Mart does not carry any western brands, its all asian stuff.
The Pathmark in Centereach is also closing, now leaving a food desert in that area as well.
The nearest supermarkets will be King Kullen & Shop-Rite down the road in Selden. Centereach has lost both of its supermarkets, Waldbaums & Pathmark and the community is on a downhill slide, more illegals moving in along 25, some bodegas too.
These changes will already add salt to the wound that seems to be growing on LI.
Some places will see improvements but others lose their only place to get food.
The Waldbaums in Rocky Point has been bid on by Foodtown as well, which honestly does not belong there, Shop-Rite should have gotten that store.
This was a real opportunity for Shop-Rite to make major inroads on LI, kinda disappointed. In NJ, every town has a Shop-Rite, it should be the same way here.

Over 4,000 Long Island workers could lose jobs in A&P bankruptcy | Newsday

Unions King Kullen H Mart Best Market among A&P bid winners | A&P Bankruptcy 2015 content from Supermarket News
Fairway is down the road in Lake Grove by the mall, not too far away.
People should be able to make the Lake Ronk Stop and Shop as well (though thats more of a hike)

Old 10-09-2015, 07:21 AM

14 posts, read 29,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
H-Mart does not carry any western brands, its all asian stuff.
Have you ever been to an H-Mart? They carry alot of western brands.

For produce (veggies and fruits), fish&meats, H-Mart is cheaper and a lot fresher than an american supermarket.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:38 AM

622 posts, read 853,625 times
Wegmans is the top rated grocery and they're based right here in NYS, in Rochester. Why won't they come to LI? Unions.

Compare the LI grocery prices, whether at Stop & Shop or Fairway or King Kullen, to any other region. LI's prices are way higher. You need to shop the sales much more carefully, making stops at multiple grocery stores. Of course, it's not as bad as in Westchester, but....

Old 10-09-2015, 07:47 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,068,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
Wegmans is the top rated grocery and they're based right here in NYS, in Rochester.
WEGMANS!! LIers need Wegmans in our lives. I've spent years wishing the franchise would makes its way down to LI.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:39 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Fairway is down the road in Lake Grove by the mall, not too far away.
People should be able to make the Lake Ronk Stop and Shop as well (though thats more of a hike)
There's also Best Market on Lake Grove/Centereach border at the intersection of Hawkins and MCR.

I have a Stop and Shop and Wild By Nature near me. The King Kullen closed a few months ago. A number of local people (myself included) have noticed the Setauket Stop and Shops haven't been up to par in recent months. Both Stony Brook and Setauket Waldbaums are closing and there has not been much news as to who may/may not acquire either location. Once Waldbaums closes, there will be no supermarket in Stony Brook. For those without a car, it will involve a bus ride or long walk crossing 347 or up to 25A in Setauket.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:04 AM

562 posts, read 1,059,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwaway12 View Post
Have you ever been to an H-Mart? They carry alot of western brands.

For produce (veggies and fruits), fish&meats, H-Mart is cheaper and a lot fresher than an american supermarket.
If H-Mart were closer to where I live, I'd probably do the bulk of my shopping there. Great supermarket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island