Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 01:14 PM

2,361 posts, read 1,753,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
http://local338.org/FileUploads/ufcw...objections.pdf

Could there be a wrinkle in the plan?
The one near me closed on Monday and will be reopening as Acme on Friday.

Seriously.

4 days.

I'm impressed. I cannot wait to go there and buy my Rocket Boots, anvils, Do It Yourself Tornado Kit and Jet Propelled Unicycle....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 05:31 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,148,598 times
Meanwhile back in Pixley, Sam Drucker's Store has more competition than just the Piggly Wiggly.
Survey: Survey: Richmond ranks near top in number of grocery stores per capita - Richmond Times-Dispatch: Food & Drink

Why is Long Island not a grocery chain's dream?

Last edited by ClarkStreetKid; 10-14-2015 at 05:40 PM..

Old 10-14-2015, 05:55 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,102,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Meanwhile back in Pixley, Sam Drucker's Store has more competition than just the Piggly Wiggly.
Survey: Survey: Richmond ranks near top in number of grocery stores per capita - Richmond Times-Dispatch: Food & Drink

Why is Long Island not a grocery chain's dream?
Maybe it's considered a logistical nightmare for stocking up.....

Old 10-14-2015, 08:01 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,148,598 times
Could be, or maybe land prices. Just seems off that given it's population density that more of the better grocers wouldn't be targeting Long Island.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:53 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,324,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Could be, or maybe land prices. Just seems off that given it's population density that more of the better grocers wouldn't be targeting Long Island.
It is perplexing. The Jericho Waldbaums is a prime example, good location, busy....yet H-Mart is the only winning bid? Then there's the stores that will close, such as the Carle Place Waldbaums. This area is highly populated yet has a lack of full service supermarkets. Now Stop & Shop at Country Glen will be the only one in the entire Carle Place, Mineola, Westbury area. Never understood why Shop-Rite (or even Wegmans) hasn't shown interest in the mostly vacant Source Mall. Yes Fairway is nearby but Fairway is NOT a Full Service Supermarket, it is a speciality grocer. The other dives such as Bravo & Fine Fare are ghetto markets.
Doesn't seem like anyone here complains much about it (except for me...lol).
If it was up to me I'd gut The Source Mall and have a Shop-Rite or Wegmans move in there.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:22 PM

401 posts, read 945,089 times
I can do my fair share of complaining. I go to the Miller Place Stop N Shop. Over the years, it has gone down hill tremendously. I'm not quite sure of the logistics behind the scenes regarding purchasing, but they are out of basic items on a regular basis. I am at the store at least 3, if you 5 days per week. At least 3 out of the 5, they are out of something: parsley, milk, yogurt, herbs, bagged cole slaw....etc. It is so frustrating since I don't know what I'm making for dinner until the middle of the day due to a busy work schedule. The shelves are always in disarray, previous weeks sales tags are not taken down. I have considered changing to another store, but that one is most convenient. My only other options are King Kullen(higher prices) and Waldbaums which is farther away. Stop N Shop used to have a higher standard. I don't know what happened. I'm certainly ready for some new additions.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:51 AM

13,057 posts, read 18,129,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
It is perplexing. The Jericho Waldbaums is a prime example, good location, busy....yet H-Mart is the only winning bid? Then there's the stores that will close, such as the Carle Place Waldbaums. This area is highly populated yet has a lack of full service supermarkets. Now Stop & Shop at Country Glen will be the only one in the entire Carle Place, Mineola, Westbury area. Never understood why Shop-Rite (or even Wegmans) hasn't shown interest in the mostly vacant Source Mall. Yes Fairway is nearby but Fairway is NOT a Full Service Supermarket, it is a speciality grocer. The other dives such as Bravo & Fine Fare are ghetto markets.
Doesn't seem like anyone here complains much about it (except for me...lol).
If it was up to me I'd gut The Source Mall and have a Shop-Rite or Wegmans move in there.
Generally speaking, you rarely find a grocery in a mall like the source. While the parking would be good while there are no other competing retail stores, can you imagine if the full slate of stores were there? It would be impossible to park. It would not be a draw to be there, as you would not plan to be moving on to other shopping if you bought perishables, and the rents would be a lot higher to be in a mall. In fact the only store I can think of that is located in a "mall" is the Fairway and that is a limited mall.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:31 AM

14 posts, read 29,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
It is perplexing. The Jericho Waldbaums is a prime example, good location, busy....yet H-Mart is the only winning bid?
Isn't there a Whole Foods up the block? That is probably the major factor why no other stores wants to overbid for that location. They won't be able offer some things unique enough to attract customers to their store and be able to turn a profit. Also, there is Target around the corner that sells groceries as well.

Old 10-16-2015, 01:12 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLamb0518 View Post
The one near me closed on Monday and will be reopening as Acme on Friday.

Seriously.

4 days.

I'm impressed. I cannot wait to go there and buy my Rocket Boots, anvils, Do It Yourself Tornado Kit and Jet Propelled Unicycle....
Just in time for Halloween!

Old 10-16-2015, 01:16 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajimenez View Post
I can do my fair share of complaining. I go to the Miller Place Stop N Shop. Over the years, it has gone down hill tremendously. I'm not quite sure of the logistics behind the scenes regarding purchasing, but they are out of basic items on a regular basis. I am at the store at least 3, if you 5 days per week. At least 3 out of the 5, they are out of something: parsley, milk, yogurt, herbs, bagged cole slaw....etc. It is so frustrating since I don't know what I'm making for dinner until the middle of the day due to a busy work schedule. The shelves are always in disarray, previous weeks sales tags are not taken down. I have considered changing to another store, but that one is most convenient. My only other options are King Kullen(higher prices) and Waldbaums which is farther away. Stop N Shop used to have a higher standard. I don't know what happened. I'm certainly ready for some new additions.
I loathe Stop N Shop. I'm close to the one in Setauket on 25A and I had found the same thing. Early on in their occupancy, I had noticed that they tended not to have items in stock which had decent coupons, or gouged the price of other non coupon items to compensate. I seldom was I able to find a bulk size of certain things once the store transitioned from Edwards to SNS. I try to avoid it, and the South Setauket SNS like the plague.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island