Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 10:19 AM

61 posts, read 127,571 times

Advertisements

H & Y asian market is also great.. They're at the corner of Old Country Road & So Oyster Bay road.. Produce is really cheap and their meats are as well..

H-Mart - used to go there all the time enroute to doctors appt's when my doctors where in NHPark/ and Great Neck

helene
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 10:34 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,147,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
WEGMANS!! LIers need Wegmans in our lives. I've spent years wishing the franchise would makes its way down to LI.
Even we're getting Wegman's, so I'm not sure why Long Island supermarkets are dying or you're not getting the better ones.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:50 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,991,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
So if you depend on either Waldbaums or Pathmark you may be in for an improvement or a decline.
Some stores are becoming Stop & Shops (which is a small improvement over the former), and the 3 lucky stores which are Pathmarks in NHP & Bethpage as well as Waldbaums in Deer Park will become Shop-Rites (the best supermarket IMO).
Unfortunately for other communities they are not so lucky. The Waldbaums in Carle Place is closing, which now leaves the Stop & Shop in Country Glen Center in Carle Place the ONLY Full Size grocer in the entire Westbury, Carle Place, and Mineola area. Key Food has purchased some of the older Waldbaums stores like in Albertson, now if you've been to the Key Food in Kings Park you know its kind of nasty, kind of a ghetto supermarket if you ask me (like Bravo, C-Town, or Associated/Fine Fare).
Some of the other shockers are that the nice, busy Waldbaums on N.Broadway in Jericho has been bid on by H-Mart, an Asian Grocery store. That community will now lose its only large full service grocer.
Feel bad for the folks without cars, of whom at least some live in those apts by that Waldbaums, unfortunately there is no public transportation to the Shop-Rite on South Oyster Bay Road.
Not sure why that Waldbaums wasn't acquired by Stop & Shop (or even King Kullen), but there is already several Asian style groceries in that area. Its not a good fit and it will also mean the employees there will lose their jobs. H-Mart does not carry any western brands, its all asian stuff.
The Pathmark in Centereach is also closing, now leaving a food desert in that area as well.
The nearest supermarkets will be King Kullen & Shop-Rite down the road in Selden. Centereach has lost both of its supermarkets, Waldbaums & Pathmark and the community is on a downhill slide, more illegals moving in along 25, some bodegas too.
These changes will already add salt to the wound that seems to be growing on LI.
Some places will see improvements but others lose their only place to get food.
The Waldbaums in Rocky Point has been bid on by Foodtown as well, which honestly does not belong there, Shop-Rite should have gotten that store.
This was a real opportunity for Shop-Rite to make major inroads on LI, kinda disappointed. In NJ, every town has a Shop-Rite, it should be the same way here.

Over 4,000 Long Island workers could lose jobs in A&P bankruptcy | Newsday

Unions King Kullen H Mart Best Market among A&P bid winners | A&P Bankruptcy 2015 content from Supermarket News

I can't remember the last time I was in ANY of the stores listed in this post. Amazon Fresh all the way for our household. It's even edging out Costco on a lot of products. I shop at a small store close by for things I need immediately, which rarely happens since I plan meals. Pushing a cart around a grocery store is so 2014.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:19 PM

61 posts, read 127,571 times
I just googled amazon fresh and they dont' deliver to LI.. I live in deer park.. how do you get delivery from amazon fresh?

Old 10-09-2015, 02:24 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,438,415 times
Well I already have stop and shop near me and I mostly go there. I could care less about Pathmark, the one in Islip seems like it's price gouging. When I first moved here they were cheaper than stop and shop. I find the sales and prices at Stop and shop to better IMO. Pathmark's produce is expensive, plus they feel that $4.79 for a box of Ritz crackers is a deal??? I can get them 2 for $6 or sometimes with a coupon for $1.88 at stop and shop. I use Roslyn savings bank and it's in that Pathmark but once they go out I'll have to use the bank in Bayshore ShopRite. I'd like to see a Best Market go where Pathmark on 111 is now.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:10 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,209,524 times
Hate that this has happened but have seen it coming for a very long time. The Waldbaums in Merrick has been disgusting for at least the past year. Pathmark in East Meadow closed while back. I am HAPPY the Waldbaums in Merrick will become a Best Yet Market. Looking forward to that as I do really like their store. They do have great sale prices. For a while now I mostly use PeaPod by Stop & Shop for most of my shopping. Only problem I ever have is you don't know if they will be out of something until they deliver your order. Sometimes it was important item really needed. Same guy has always delivered my order since 2008. That changes with recent order though. Might be because they closed a LI facility. If I shop I usually just use Trader Joes. Or I go to KK or the newly remodeled S&S in Merrick..it is very nice since the remodel. Occasionally Shoprite. Hope will be able to get everything I need between Trader Joes & the new Best Yet as they are right next to each other. Will make my shopping easy & a pleasure. Too bad Publix will never happen on LI

In reference to someone that mentioned Wegmans...that just might be getting closer to happening as they are set to open their 1st Brooklyn location soon at the Navy Yard. Was told it's a store..but my guess is they must be building(or planning) on building a warehouse closer by. So prepare for that to happen soon hopefully. As for H-Mart they mostly tend to locate where there is large Asian population. So maybe Jericho will get more & more like Flushing (never go there to Jericho now so not sure how it is now).

Old 10-09-2015, 04:23 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,867,684 times
H-Mart would be a good thing.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:07 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,209,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
H-Mart would be a good thing.
I have only been to their location in Flushing. They do cater to that area.There were people picketing at that store. After the Waldbaums closed in that area about 3 years ago they would not hire any of those that applied. If you don't speak Korean forget it. That is discrimination. But no matter where you have a business in the entire world you do need to have employees that can actually interact with their customer base. Their hiring practices have been questioned in the past. I just hope the Jericho store has signs in English. Their Flushing store will never see me again. Not 1 person when I was there was able to help me at all. When I checked out they even EXPECTED me to speak their language. They made me feel horrible at that store. Made me really hater the company as w whole.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:22 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,324,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
I have only been to their location in Flushing. They do cater to that area.There were people picketing at that store. After the Waldbaums closed in that area about 3 years ago they would not hire any of those that applied. If you don't speak Korean forget it. That is discrimination. But no matter where you have a business in the entire world you do need to have employees that can actually interact with their customer base. Their hiring practices have been questioned in the past. I just hope the Jericho store has signs in English. Their Flushing store will never see me again. Not 1 person when I was there was able to help me at all. When I checked out they even EXPECTED me to speak their language. They made me feel horrible at that store. Made me really hater the company as w whole.
That is the problem with H-Mart and I wouldn't expect their Jericho store to be any different. They have an H-Mart in Herricks and its the same as its Flushing store, primarily only gearing to Korean. There is already an H&Y Grocery not far from Jericho on S.Oyster Bay Rd & Old Country. It seems A&P could care less who the bidders are, as long as they are the highest. There is already a petition to the Judge to block the sale of the Jericho store to H-Mart.
With the double hit of this along with the Milleridge closing, Jericho Residents need to get involved to save their community.
With the closing of the only large supermarket in the area to become an ethnic grocery, it will create an entirely new "Food Desert" on LI. That is a busy store, can't understand for the life of me how H-Mart could be the highest bidder!

Old 10-09-2015, 05:23 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,324,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
The Albertson store may be in jeopardy. Recently the Albertson Civic Assn. met and the residents were told that Speigel and Associates has rejected the offer made by Key Foods. Now this could be the normal course of, bid - reject - rebid, etc. or it could be an end to that chain entering the market. It remains to be seen.
Hopefully the landlord in Jericho will reject H-Mart as well, these places are totally out of character for the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island