Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 11:30 AM

2,612 posts, read 3,435,147 times

Advertisements

4 pages of banter and not one mention of the owner of the dog Carlyle Arnold.

If this were my kid I would go after the owner and beat him until he couldn't breathe anymore. He deserves to die. I don't care if he did not do the deed but it was his dog and he is the owner. He has to pay for taking the life of a 9 year old child. This kid didn't get the chance to see her sweet 16, graduate HS, go to college, get married, have kids, have grand kids etc. We are being far too easy on the dogs owner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 11:37 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,845,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post

The victims of these attacks (whether human or another dog) should start suing the dog owners homeowners insurance into oblivion.
My homeowner's insurance won't allow me to have anything they deem to be a dangerous breed. I had to submit photos of my dogs (and vet records) to prove I did not own one or else they wouldn't insure me.

This is a breed which has been so inbred thanks to machismo types that these dogs are no longer anything like they were 50-75 years ago. Even if all pits were eradicated, these asshats would find another dog to train to fight and act aggressively. My only answer is to spay and neuter these asshats while eradicating their pitbulls.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:42 AM

3,318 posts, read 2,406,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfitg View Post
Yea, the reason is that most of the people who buy pitballs are irresponsible selfish and aggressive people who raise their dog to be the same. Has nothing to do with the breed.
That makes no sense. If it did, then we would have as many killer terriers, beagles and German shepherds. It must have something to do with the breed. I wouldn't own one or let my children over a house that has one.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:44 AM

1,916 posts, read 1,468,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
4 pages of banter and not one mention of the owner of the dog Carlyle Arnold.

If this were my kid I would go after the owner and beat him until he couldn't breathe anymore. He deserves to die. I don't care if he did not do the deed but it was his dog and he is the owner. He has to pay for taking the life of a 9 year old child. This kid didn't get the chance to see her sweet 16, graduate HS, go to college, get married, have kids, have grand kids etc. We are being far too easy on the dogs owner.
I know. He was not very responsible.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:45 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,558,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Exactly. People get bit by other dogs and have a mark on their arms.

People get bit by pit bulls and die or are seriously maimed.

Source please? It seems most people are basing claims on anecdotal news accounts.

A quick look turns up:

from: The truth about pit bulls: 6 myths dispelled | MNN - Mother Nature Network
(All the below is repeated in many other reputable sources. This link puts much of it into one place. It also references sources for the claims.)

Quote:
About 4.5 million dog bites are reported in the U.S. each year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, but only 20 to 30 bites are fatal.

Some studies have found pit bulls to be involved in the majority of fatal bites, such as a 2009 study that determined pit bulls, Rottweilers and German shepherds were involved in most of the fatal attacks in Kentucky. However, the American Veterinarian Medical Association's comprehensive examination of fatal U.S. bites came to a different conclusion in December.

The organization determined that nationwide, a dog's breed could only be identified in 45 incidents. Of those, more than 20 different breeds were responsible for the attacks.
AND

Quote:
A 2008 study by the University of Pennsylvania looked at aggressiveness in 30 dog breeds and found that Chihuahuas and Dachshunds were the most aggressive toward humans and other dogs.

Pit bulls were among the most aggressive toward other dogs, particularly those they didn’t know. However, pit bulls weren't more aggressive than other breeds toward strangers and their owners.

AND

Quote:
Dr. Brady Barr of National Geographic found that the domestic canines have an average bite of 320 pounds of force, and as part of his study, he tested the bites of three popular dog breeds: a German shepherd, a Rottweiler and an American pit bull.

The Rottweiler had the toughest bite with 328 pounds of force, the German shepherd came in second with 238 pounds of force, and the pit bull bit with 235 pounds of force — the lowest of the group.

I would be delighted to see any real facts that dispute the above studies.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
Where are the articles about rottweilers and German Shepherds killing people? Rotts and GS don't have a reputation of killing people unlike pit bulls. German Shepherds and rottweilers don't spring up and attack you for no reason whatsoever.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:24 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,558,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeefan93 View Post
Where are the articles about rottweilers and German Shepherds killing people?
I can't speak for the media's choice of stories. As I have read, on any given day, 10 people will be bit by a dog. But it only makes the news when it is a "pitbull."

There are plenty of things that never make the news and skew public perception of the topic. I won't bother to derail this discussion with examples. The fact remains, quantity of news stories on a given topic does NOT consititue a statistical analysis.

If it did, we would all believe that the missing Malaysian flight was the only thing that mattered in the world for a three month period (based on CNN non-stop coverage).

Quote:
Roots and GS don't have a reputation of killing people unlike pit bulls.
See above. The news, with slanted coverage, has created that incorrect reputation. Again, there are 4.5 million dogs bites/year in the U.S. and only 20-30 are fatal. There is no evidence to suggest any one breed is more responsible than others. Also keep in mind that the actual breed is unknown in many cases... the report (whether it is the news, police or just random witnesses) usually bases the breed claim on what a dog may look like. I have three shelter dogs... people have guessed at their identities with dozens of different breeds. People sometimes see what they want, and other times are simply wrong.

Feel free to show me actual facts to back up your reputation claim.

Quote:
German Shepherds and rottweilers don't spring up and attack you for no reason whatsoever.
Again, facts. Any credible source will do. Whoopi Goldberg and Joy Behar chatting meaningless nonsense on the "View" don't count.

Several folks here don't like the breed. That's fine. I just don't understand all the assertions which present personal opinion as proven fact. Does anyone have any actual sources or facts to back up their claims against all these different breeds and the mixes/mutts that fall in the broad "pitbull" category?

Old 11-09-2015, 12:36 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,709,894 times
Quote:
Too easy, 60 seconds of searching for "insurance rates pitbull". The data indicates that pitbulls are responsible for a proportionally large number of attacks resulting in death or physical deformation.

A five-year review of dog-bite injuries from the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, published in 2009 in the journal Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, found that almost 51 percent of the attacks were from pit bulls, almost 9 percent were from Rottweilers and 6 percent were from mixes of those two breeds.

A 15-year study published in 2009 in the American Journal of Forensic Medicine and Pathology revealed that pit bulls, Rottweilers and German shepherds were responsible for the majority of fatal dog attacks in the state of Kentucky.

And a 2011 study from the Annals of Surgery revealed that "attacks by pit bulls are associated with higher morbidity rates, higher hospital charges and a higher risk of death than are attacks by other breeds of dogs."

Old 11-09-2015, 12:40 PM

13,547 posts, read 17,109,571 times
Quote:
I can't speak for the media's choice of stories. As I have read, on any given day, 10 people will be bit by a dog. But it only makes the news when it is a "pitbull."

There are plenty of things that never make the news and skew public perception of the topic. I won't bother to derail this discussion with examples. The fact remains, quantity of news stories on a given topic does NOT consititue a statistical analysis.

If it did, we would all believe that the missing Malaysian flight was the only thing that mattered in the world for a three month period (based on CNN non-stop coverage).

See above. The news, with slanted coverage, has created that incorrect reputation. Again, there are 4.5 million dogs bites/year in the U.S. and only 20-30 are fatal. There is no evidence to suggest any one breed is more responsible than others. Also keep in mind that the actual breed is unknown in many cases... the report (whether it is the news, police or just random witnesses) usually bases the breed claim on what a dog may look like. I have three shelter dogs... people have guessed at their identities with dozens of different breeds. People sometimes see what they want, and other times are simply wrong.

Again, facts. Any credible source will do. Whoopi Goldberg and Joy Behar chatting meaningless nonsense on the "View" don't count.

Several folks here don't like the breed. That's fine. I just don't understand all the assertions which present personal opinion as proven fact. Does anyone have any actual sources or facts to back up their claims against all these different breeds and the mixes/mutts that fall in the broad "pitbull" category?
The actual facts are the news stories of pit bulls killing people.

The only story of a dog killing someone I can remember I the last 10 years that wasn't a Rottweiler or Pit Bull was a golden retriever who was pulling on a toddlers scarf and strangled him. Obviously the dog wasn't trying to kill the kid intentionally, which you can't say about a pit bull that bites off a kids face.

Obviously the owner takes all the blame (the dog is dead), but shouldn't be allowed to have a dangerous dog in the first place.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:

Here are facts right here.
Top 10 Most Dangerous Dog Breeds Based On Their Fatalities
Pit Bulls have killed 212 people and maimed 1,268 compared to the Rottweiler with 87 deaths and 227 maimed from 1882-2012. Note how much deadlier pit bulls are than rottweilers? Rottweilers are the next deadliest breed of dog after pit bulls. And I counted about 3 incidents this year involving pit bulls. Plus pit bulls are responsible for 27 out of 42 fatalities involving dog bites in 2014.
2014 U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities - Dog Bite Statistics - DogsBite.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island