Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 07:37 AM

3,672 posts, read 6,592,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
I've discharged my weapon twice in the line of duty. Both times were to kill an attacking pitbull. I don't need to own one to know that they're a dangerous breed and can't be trusted.
Ironically, many people now believe that law enforcement officers with guns pose a much greater threat to their safety than even the violently aggressive, bred to maul, mangle and kill, pit bull breed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
Pitbull owners are idiots.
No, irresponsible dog owners are idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
Don't even argue with pit bull owners. They're morons. And deep down, they know it.
I now know two pit bull owning families, both where the adults are insanely brilliant people (no, seriously, one couple the husband has a 140 IQ and his wife is working on her combined Masters/PhD in Law, the other couple are both very successful professional's with impressive resumes). Their dogs are amazing and everything good you could want or expect from a canine companion. What separates them from so many other pit bull owners is they knew going in about the exercise requirements, managing their environment properly and remaining vigilant.... just like every single dog owner should always be.

But I agree with you about not arguing with pit bull owners, but only because they're usually right and way better prepared with facts rather than conjecture and opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 07:52 AM

13,526 posts, read 17,079,413 times
What is the appeal of a pit bull over other breeds?

Muscular, fierce looking, the element of danger. This is the appeal, and everybody knows it. Whether you're a gangbanger or a middle class wannabe tough guy. It says something about your personality. You think it makes you look tough, while it makes you look like a dope to sensible people.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:51 AM

3,672 posts, read 6,592,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
What is the appeal of a pit bull over other breeds?

Muscular, fierce looking, the element of danger. This is the appeal, and everybody knows it. Whether you're a gangbanger or a middle class wannabe tough guy. It says something about your personality. You think it makes you look tough, while it makes you look like a dope to sensible people.
So large men with tiny lap dogs want to look more feminine? Or vulnerable? Or sensitive? Thank goodness my wife picked a Great Pyrenees for us, I shudder to think what a less manly dog would have conveyed to the world at large about my masculinity.

Yeah, I get it, pit bulls because of their media driven reputation convey bad ass, you're right. It's not their fault though and they didn't ask for it.

And their appeal, when raised and monitored properly is that they are ridiculously athletic and strong dogs capable of amazing tricks, are great hunters and, sad irony aside, amazingly loyal animals who will protect their family, children in particular.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:58 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,930,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Those dogs pose almost no danger to anyone at all. No more than any other dog for sure.
Just... *sigh*. Equal danger? How can anyone say this about one of the top 3 dogs that are capable of killing so viciously, regardless of how well they are cared for? You don't control their brains.

Apply what you've said to snakes and tell me they are all equal.

Last edited by ovi8; 11-12-2015 at 12:07 PM..

Old 11-12-2015, 01:49 PM

5,866 posts, read 3,318,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Just... *sigh*. Equal danger? How can anyone say this about one of the top 3 dogs that are capable of killing so viciously, regardless of how well they are cared for? You don't control their brains.

Apply what you've said to snakes and tell me they are all equal.
Again how many of those dogs are owned by less than desirable people? I would say a good portion of all attacking pit bulls come from that type of situation. However the vast majority of pit bulls in loving homes pose almost no threat. Again all the haters here never even owned a pit bull.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:51 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,996,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Again how many of those dogs are owned by less than desirable people? I would say a good portion of all attacking pit bulls come from that type of situation. However the vast majority of pit bulls in loving homes pose almost no threat. Again all the haters here never even owned a pit bull.
What about the pit bull rescue woman who was mauled to death by her dogs? You cannot find a better pit owner. But they turned on her and feasted on her.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:14 PM

8,131 posts, read 12,872,853 times
It's too bad they had to call someone with a gun to stop the attack. If someone at that home had a shotgun they could have ended it quickly; maybe in time to save the kid.

When seconds count the police are only minutes away.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:18 PM

13,526 posts, read 17,079,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
It's too bad they had to call someone with a gun to stop the attack. If someone at that home had a shotgun they could have ended it quickly; maybe in time to save the kid.

When seconds count the police are only minutes away.

Enter gun nut agenda guy with tired NRA clichés from TENNESSEE.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:11 PM

172 posts, read 186,639 times
Pit bulls look vicious and are vicious. A child is dead. period. I know of another case of a woman who was walking around a track and stalked by two pit bulls. She could not outrun them and they nearly tore her arm off. She spent six months in the hospital. I have no sympathy for these monsters.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:23 PM

8,131 posts, read 12,872,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Enter gun nut agenda guy with tired NRA clichés from TENNESSEE.
I understand that people of your ilk that are prone to insulting people do not wish for other citizens to be armed. Bullies fear people that have a means to defend themselves.

FACT: A gun was used to end the attack.

Had someone on the scene had access to a firearm to put the dog down that girl would probably be alive today.

In the five to ten minutes it took for officers to arrive that dog was chewing on the girl.

BTW I grew up in New York State, I live in Tennessee now.

Last edited by Wartrace; 11-12-2015 at 06:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island