Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 11:42 AM

3,670 posts, read 6,588,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_flembeck View Post
You are actually comparing kids getting mauled to death by a Pit Bull to some aristocrat falling off a horse?

You Pit Bull people need some serious help.
Whoa, whoa, whoa, I'm not a Pit Bull person. I've never owned one and likely never will. What I am is someone who prefers facts over conjecture and to form my own opinions without being influenced by the media.

But your response made me chuckle a bit. I guess 47 mostly lower income people being killed by pit bulls is way more tragic than 100 aristocrats dying in horse-related incidents. Oh, and I happen to live in an equestrian community which is staunchly middle to slightly upper-middle class, no aristocrats to be found. But still, if you can afford a horse and it kills you, you deserved it.

Quote:
Why don't you show one piece of evidence that it was not a pit bull and prove the 100 Newspapers who said it was wrong.

What the pathological Pit Bull crowd seems immune to understand is that in almost every instance the owner says this is the "first time" the dog ever snapped and it was a kind and loving dog. They are ALL ticking time bombs, just because most of them don't attack people doesn't mean the pose a very dangerous threat to the public.

Of course, the way the dog is brought up by its owner matters but nobody can be 100% sure that their pit bull won't snap as well.

How many times have they attacked people and even the owner can't stop them?

Unlike most other dogs, once these things decide to attack it is almost impossible to get them to stop.

There are 100's of less dangerous dog breeds to own. Quit trying to be a tough guy or compensate for your own personal defects by owning these dogs.
One hundred newspapers? You verified one hundred newspapers cited the breed as pit bull? That, my friend, is a whole lot of corroboration. You win, you are clearly more committed to hating pit bulls than I am to inserting logic, reason and at least a little balance into the debate.

Oh, and I doubt there are hundreds of dog breeds, let alone hundreds less dangerous than pit bulls. I'd need to check your sources in order to be comfortable with so outrageous a statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 12:24 PM

1,406 posts, read 1,549,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
One hundred newspapers? You verified one hundred newspapers cited the breed as pit bull?
Slightly off topic, but...

Whether 10 or 100 or 1000 news sources report a story, they generally get their information from one source. New agencies rarely send their own people to cover a local story, and it is even more rare that they actually investigate a story on their own.

A local organization will usually report a story. That story will then be "picked up" by a national service. Everyone else gets their story from that national service. If the original had an error, everyone repeats that error.

Ever read a story online and notice that numerous different source all use the same basic wording? Or feature the same exact quote from the same exact "eyewitness." I am amazed that anyone could think tens (or hundreds) of newspapers would send individual reporters to cover local stories. That's just not how things work.

(And I realize your comment was sarcastic, NUC2RDU. This is more a general observation relating to the post you responded to which seemed to claim the number of newspapers reporting was somehow related to the accuracy of the content.)

Old 11-18-2015, 01:27 PM

39 posts, read 63,456 times
Quote:
Why don't you show one piece of evidence that it was not a pit bull and prove the 100 Newspapers who said it was wrong.

What the pathological Pit Bull crowd seems immune to understand is that in almost every instance the owner says this is the "first time" the dog ever snapped and it was a kind and loving dog. They are ALL ticking time bombs, just because most of them don't attack people doesn't mean the pose a very dangerous threat to the public.

Of course, the way the dog is brought up by its owner matters but nobody can be 100% sure that their pit bull won't snap as well.

How many times have they attacked people and even the owner can't stop them?

Unlike most other dogs, once these things decide to attack it is almost impossible to get them to stop.

There are 100's of less dangerous dog breeds to own. Quit trying to be a tough guy or compensate for your own personal defects by owning these dogs.
I don't own a pit bull, per se, and I'm not of the "tough guy" persona.. I have a lab/pit mix that is mostly lab, a puppy, and extremely docile. I'm not and never have defended the animal. I agree whole heartedly that pit bulls should not be around children and can be dangerous. I disagree, however, that this aggressiveness is in its bloodline. It has the same basic temperament as most other (domesticated, but still) wild dogs...any of which is liable to bite/maul a human. The difference with the pit bull is its natural ability to destroy. Perhaps you didn't stray away from your idiotic agenda long enough to read these threads and grasp what I mean.

I won't post links because they don't seem to work for me. However, the recent incident happened way up in the middle of nowhere...the original, incorrect report was regurgitated ad-nauseam by many other small time news sites, mainly because - wait for it - the words "pit bull" were in the headline. Check a few of the more local sites to the syracuse area, read the updates, read the comments on Facebook amongst her friends and family, recognize that the picture of the dog that was posted online was a fallacy, and have a great day.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
A local organization will usually report a story. That story will then be "picked up" by a national service. Everyone else gets their story from that national service. If the original had an error, everyone repeats that error.
Stop making sense

Old 11-19-2015, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Had someone on the scene had access to a firearm to put the dog down that girl would probably be alive today.
Had someone on THAT scene had access to a firearm, it might have saved the girl, but it would have been connected to several other deaths.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:59 AM

3,670 posts, read 6,588,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlubzilla View Post
Had someone on THAT scene had access to a firearm, it might have saved the girl, but it would have been connected to several other deaths.

Or perhaps the girl would have been killed by the firearm because one of the children found it and was playing around.

If these crusaders want to make a real impact, go get the guns and set aside the pit bull agenda for another day.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:12 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,502,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
4 pages of banter and not one mention of the owner of the dog Carlyle Arnold.

If this were my kid I would go after the owner and beat him until he couldn't breathe anymore. He deserves to die. I don't care if he did not do the deed but it was his dog and he is the owner. He has to pay for taking the life of a 9 year old child. This kid didn't get the chance to see her sweet 16, graduate HS, go to college, get married, have kids, have grand kids etc. We are being far too easy on the dogs owner.
Dog's owner?

As a parent, I don't allow my child to go to anyone's house who doesn't put their dogs away. I put my dogs away when children come over. And they are collies. I'm not sure they even know they have teeth. It's the parents duty to make sure the environment their children are in is safe. There's no way in hell my kid would have been in this house.

My 3 year old son has a kid he likes playing with. This kid's parents have two boxers and they refuse to put them away. So my kid never goes to their house. They wanted to go trick or treating together but they insisted on bringing their dogs. Bringing their dogs to a crowded environment with kids screaming in all directions. Stupid. We declined.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:16 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,502,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Yes gangbangers,,drug dealers and trash that own this breed want these dogs to be aggressive. They are a problem and I will say that loud and clear. However the vast majority of people that own pits and pit mixes do not fall in that category. Most are just normal people that love the breed. If you take away the bad element that owns these dogs I would say you would eliminate most of the problems. The overwhelming majority of pit bull owners have zero problems handling and caring for this breed. Those dogs pose almost no danger to anyone at all. No more than any other dog for sure.
I see. Have you read somewhere that the only time these dogs kill someone is when they're owned by a trashy drug dealer or gang banger?

Old 11-19-2015, 04:58 PM

5,867 posts, read 3,314,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I see. Have you read somewhere that the only time these dogs kill someone is when they're owned by a trashy drug dealer or gang banger?
Mostly

Old 12-04-2015, 06:38 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,921,563 times
Another story from Wednesday: Pack of pit bulls mauls Detroit 4-year-old to death

They climbed under a fence and just started attacking. I would love to see a pack of Pomeranians do this... rip a boy out of a mother's grasp and maul him to death. It's not the breed! Nobody said it was every one of them. It's just most likely them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island