Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2015, 08:02 AM

3,670 posts, read 6,583,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The point is that these dogs are too dangerous for just anyone to be allowed to own. Blaming the owner after the kid is dead is too late and is not a sufficient or satisfactory resolution to the issue of pit bulls maiming and killing people.

I have no way of knowing of the wannabe 20 something tough guy around the block has given the dog "Hours of exercise" or a "chew toy". I only know that can kill me kid and is far more likely to than the cocker spaniel next door. This is the blind spot that apologists don't seem to get. I don't give a damn if the dog gets along with YOUR kids, I care what the dog will do to MY kids if he gets out.
You should treat all dogs with equal caution; while a cocker spaniel is less likely to inflict lethal force, it still can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeefan93 View Post
German Shepard's have something that Pit Bulls don't really have. INTELLIGENCE. Plus a dog that is bred to kill is unpredictable at best and what do guns have to do with a pit bull killing a 9 year old? I don't care how well trained a pit bull is I'll never trust one at all.
Great comeback and one I assume is rooted in fact, what with you being an authority on canine IQ and all. And no legitimate source on dog breeds or breeding has ever described pit bulls as being bred to kill; all dogs are hunters by design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
What a ridiculous, illogical comparison. How many guns have you seen running around the neighborhood popping kids in the streets? If anything, pit bull laws should be stricter than gun laws. Which means background checks, and you can't let your pit leave the house. Break this law and you are looking at felony charges. Your pit gets taken away too.
Illogical because?

Do you have any clue how many pit bull attacks occur in the U.S.A. versus shootings? If you think for one second that pit bulls pose a threat anywhere near as great as guns you're either naive or ignorant; my turn to

So no, pit bull ownership laws should be no where near as restrictive as gun laws but they clearly should be enforced. Which is sort of a thing for me anyway because having just adopted my first dog ever this past Summer we were vetted more than when we became parents. We had to have reference checks, a house visit and provide proof we had taken our dog to a vet within ninety days of adoption.

[quote=TransplantedFloridian;41864630]The gun comparison is 100% idiotic. I mean, just a really special kind of stupid.

Oh yeah? Well you're a dumb-dumb stupid head for saying that.

Seriously, do you think that shouting louder than the other person makes you right?

Let's rely on concrete facts and not conjecture or "because I think so" assertions. In 2015, year-to-date, there have been approximately 11,375 violent deaths caused by handguns. In 2014 there were an impressive 42 dog-bite related deaths with 27 of those attributed to pit bulls. Hey wait a minute this may prove you're right, comparing the threat of pit bulls to the threat of guns may just be a special kind of stupid; guns are clearly way, way, way more of a threat.

So how come you're not demanding guns be taken off the street or made illegal to own? At least with a pit bull I can see/hear it and know my neighbor has one, I have no clue if they have a concealed weapon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 08:16 AM

3,670 posts, read 6,583,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
There are millions of Labrador Retrievers in this country, and while stuff happens, you don't see anywhere near the number of incidents. Statistically it's right there...... it isn't all due to the owner.
Anywhere near the number of incidents? You throw that out there like the number is huge. Do you even know the statistics? I've been bit by dogs twice, neither time was a pit bull. So in my own personal experiences border collies and Sheppard/beagle mixes are 100% more likely to bite than pit bulls.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:43 AM

25 posts, read 31,670 times
I know too many people who have been injured by a Pit Bull. I will never trust the breed, never go near the breed and would NEVER allow my dog anywhere near.

I don't dispute, at ALL, that they can be loving pets, and that many people have them in their homes as loving pets.

However I will NEVER trust one, ever. I will never be around one if I can help it, and I will never expose my dog.

Yes, all dogs can bite. Yes all dogs can be set off. The difference is that *if* a pitty were to get set off (for whatever reason) it can kill with its mouth. My little 20lbs dog will hurt you, but not kill you if something were to happen.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:35 AM

519 posts, read 598,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post

Illogical because?

Do you have any clue how many pit bull attacks occur in the U.S.A. versus shootings? If you think for one second that pit bulls pose a threat anywhere near as great as guns you're either naive or ignorant; my turn to

So no, pit bull ownership laws should be no where near as restrictive as gun laws but they clearly should be enforced. Which is sort of a thing for me anyway because having just adopted my first dog ever this past Summer we were vetted more than when we became parents. We had to have reference checks, a house visit and provide proof we had taken our dog to a vet within ninety days of adoption.

Let's rely on concrete facts and not conjecture or "because I think so" assertions. In 2015, year-to-date, there have been approximately 11,375 violent deaths caused by handguns. In 2014 there were an impressive 42 dog-bite related deaths with 27 of those attributed to pit bulls. Hey wait a minute this may prove you're right, comparing the threat of pit bulls to the threat of guns may just be a special kind of stupid; guns are clearly way, way, way more of a threat.

So how come you're not demanding guns be taken off the street or made illegal to own? At least with a pit bull I can see/hear it and know my neighbor has one, I have no clue if they have a concealed weapon.
Illogical because a gun is just a tool. That's why people rightfully say: People kill people, not guns.

Your stats ignore the fact that there are 300 million guns in the US compared to, what, 2-3 million pit bulls? A big chunk of gun related deaths are suicides and gang related. When you consider that, guns are incredibly safe considering the amount of them in ownership. But that's not the real issue; the gun can't hurt anyone by itself - A pit bull will.

Your stats also ignore the fact that hundreds of people are injured and/or permanently disfigured from pit bulls every year; disproportionately more than any other breed by a huge factor. Sadly it's mostly kids like you see here
And let's not forget other peoples' pets that get killed by pits (this is completely ignored by pit bull "breed" supporters). A large percentage of these attacks are off-property, meaning the dog left the premises on its own and attacked people. To reiterate, guns won't get up and leave their position to attack people by themselves. You won't win the support of any gun owners by comparing the two (in fact, you only turn gun owners like myself against you by making such a stupid argument).

Lastly, owning firearms is a constitutionally protected RIGHT. Owning an incredibly dangerous animal is a PRIVILEGE.

To add one last point in case people aren't aware. Pit bull ownership has increased drastically since the mid-2000's. It's no surprise that attacks increased along with the idiocy. Expect to see more of these attacks in the future. One thing that really gets to me is the owners of pitbulls who commit these attacks/deaths rarely ever get punished. That needs to change.

Last edited by Howard Beale; 11-11-2015 at 11:04 AM..

Old 11-11-2015, 11:47 AM

5,865 posts, read 3,307,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Anywhere near the number of incidents? You throw that out there like the number is huge. Do you even know the statistics? I've been bit by dogs twice, neither time was a pit bull. So in my own personal experiences border collies and Sheppard/beagle mixes are 100% more likely to bite than pit bulls.
You cant talk to pit bull haters. No matter what you say they will come out with some ignorant crap. In the meantime they have never owned the breed.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:18 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,227,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Well you just admitted that you will never trust a pit bull. You are predisposed to have a negative view of the breed, Have you ever owned one?
I've discharged my weapon twice in the line of duty. Both times were to kill an attacking pitbull. I don't need to own one to know that they're a dangerous breed and can't be trusted.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:21 PM

13,513 posts, read 17,055,235 times
Quote:
You cant talk to pit bull haters. No matter what you say they will come out with some ignorant crap. In the meantime they have never owned the breed.

I don't own a lion either but I know they shouldn't be around kids. Talk about Ignorant, the old "you don't have one so you can't understand them" is about as ignorant as you can get.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:20 PM

5,865 posts, read 3,307,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I don't own a lion either but I know they shouldn't be around kids. Talk about Ignorant, the old "you don't have one so you can't understand them" is about as ignorant as you can get.
Again millions of pit bulls in this country live in loving homes without incident. Yes the hysteria is ignorance!!

Old 11-11-2015, 03:18 PM

13,513 posts, read 17,055,235 times
Quote:
Again millions of pit bulls in this country live in loving homes without incident. Yes the hysteria is ignorance!!
It's not hysteria, they are disproportionately dangerous compared to other dogs.

People want to look like a bad ass so you think they're cool, when in reality owning one makes you look like an idiot.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:31 PM

1,916 posts, read 1,461,714 times
Quote:
That's true but pit bulls will STILL KILL PEOPLE. I don't need to own one to know it can kill. And that last site you gave me was a pro pit bull site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island