Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 09:08 AM
exm

3,722 posts, read 1,780,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
What he really meant by "killing the state" is the people actually supporting the state... the taxpayers. Suggesting people move if they don't like it like you did earlier is not an actual solution. The issue of disproportionate and outlandish pay (which most everyone agrees is true) continues. Of course union guys would push for more of the same because they are doing just fine and like the idea of being publicly supported regardless of financial feasibility to others. In one word, selfish.

Contrast this to the private sector driven by profits and people willingly paying for goods and services funding for whatever compensation can be afforded. How negotiating for higher bennies became a thing for the public sector is beyond comprehension. And no, they didn't just stop at being fair, they went over and above and continue to do so every few years.

But you already knew all that. Yeah, the state is doing great - people want to move here in droves because everything is peachy for all of us.
Thanks for the clarification and I agree.

So the state is doing great? From what perspective? The unionized teacher, police officer or MTA employee? Or the hard working individual who commutes to the city on a daily base noticing that the LIRR tickets are going up much faster than the rate of inflation while the service is going down, taxes are raising each year, and counties are raising all kind of fees just to not raise taxes even higher?

Everyone deserves to be paid well and great benefits, including unionized people. I have no problem with unions. I do have a problem with police officers collecting 200% OT just before retiring to pad their retirement pay. I do have a problem with LIRR employees retiring as "disabled". I do have a problem with failing teachers that can't be terminated. And I can continue... My problem is not the unions itself, but the abuse of certain rules that are being abused, cost the tax payers a tremendous amount of money and can't be fixed since Albany is in the pocket of the unions.

The whole "why don't you move" argument works well, doesn't it? So I need to uproot my life simply because of blatant corruption in our state that isn't addressed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 09:12 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,855,965 times
They're all greedy and spoiled little babies. Every time that Carver guy opens his mouth I want to shove my fist in it. So glad I left Nassau.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:29 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Thanks for the clarification and I agree.

So the state is doing great? From what perspective? The unionized teacher, police officer or MTA employee? Or the hard working individual who commutes to the city on a daily base noticing that the LIRR tickets are going up much faster than the rate of inflation while the service is going down, taxes are raising each year, and counties are raising all kind of fees just to not raise taxes even higher?

Everyone deserves to be paid well and great benefits, including unionized people. I have no problem with unions. I do have a problem with police officers collecting 200% OT just before retiring to pad their retirement pay. I do have a problem with LIRR employees retiring as "disabled". I do have a problem with failing teachers that can't be terminated. And I can continue... My problem is not the unions itself, but the abuse of certain rules that are being abused, cost the tax payers a tremendous amount of money and can't be fixed since Albany is in the pocket of the unions.

The whole "why don't you move" argument works well, doesn't it? So I need to uproot my life simply because of blatant corruption in our state that isn't addressed?
There aren't too many people who will disagree with any of this post. Those who do are not being honest. The thing is, like you said, there is not much that can be done to address the issue. The fact that you can go back almost 50 years with the same type of complaints doesn't bode well for the doomsday prognosticators though. So, leaving is actually the least painful way to go about it for many.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:35 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
What he really meant by "killing the state" is the people actually supporting the state... the taxpayers. Suggesting people move if they don't like it like you did earlier is not an actual solution. The issue of disproportionate and outlandish pay (which most everyone agrees is true) continues. Of course union guys would push for more of the same because they are doing just fine and like the idea of being publicly supported regardless of financial feasibility to others. In one word, selfish.

Contrast this to the private sector driven by profits and people willingly paying for goods and services funding for whatever compensation can be afforded. How negotiating for higher bennies became a thing for the public sector is beyond comprehension. And no, they didn't just stop at being fair, they went over and above and continue to do so every few years.

But you already knew all that. Yeah, the state is doing great - people want to move here in droves because everything is peachy for all of us.
They aren't building all those skyscrapers for nothing. That's for sure.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:45 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,756,269 times
Like I said. You guys can be brave on the interwebs . Let's see you speak out against the police unions and their pocket padding tactics in public..... I will get the popcorn.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:47 PM
exm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Like I said. You guys can be brave on the interwebs . Let's see you speak out against the police unions and their pocket padding tactics in public..... I will get the popcorn.
And that's the problem, don't you think?

Or do you agree with the abuse I listed above?

Old 12-13-2016, 06:50 PM

179 posts, read 304,354 times
Quote:
What are they going to do? Arrest me for something silly? OK probably....but if we as people slowly show our disrespect to the gang in blue while still being in the legal limits, that should send a message. How about booing them while they march down for the next parade - wherever that is..

Old 12-13-2016, 06:51 PM

I have seen it first hand. I have family and close family friends in NCPD and SCPD and other various public sector unions. I agree with you about the abuse. Its just pure greed. Plain and simple.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:54 PM
exm

Quote:
I have seen it first hand. I have family and close family friends in NCPD and SCPD and other various public sector unions. I agree with you about the abuse. Its just pure greed. Plain and simple.
I think everyone here respects police departments and various public sectors. Our problem is that the politicians don't want to address the abuse that's been going on for decades.

Seriously, who came up with the concept to factor-in OT in a pension calculation?

Old 12-13-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Ryback View Post
What are they going to do? Arrest me for something silly? OK probably....but if we as people slowly show our disrespect to the gang in blue while still being in the legal limits, that should send a message. How about booing them while they march down for the next parade - wherever that is..
See . Thats the problem. When "officer Johnny" is at the park with his kid on a workday because he is retired at 45 we all smile and nod and make comments behind his back because we are jealous that the guy is getting paid more In his pension then our salary. Nobody has the stones to address the issue because the cops have REAL power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island