Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 03:23 PM

57,322 posts, read 26,245,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
This is exactly why we went in person to pay the bill. The County obviously doesnt have time to mail the new figures by 12/31 so you have to appear in person, give them your address, and they will look it up in the system to give you the new #. I personally wouldnt rely on mailing a check with an incorrect sum.

FWIW., the TOH will be open this weekend to allow for the extra people coming in to pay. I imagine TOB might do the same.

Crowds Line Up To Prepay Property Taxes On Long Island « CBS New York

It doesn't appear that you can pay a tax bill unless it was assessed. If what you received is a solid assessment from them then that should be deductible. I'm surprised because the county general tax is not finalized until several months into the following year, same for the villages.

These fools have created one giant mess.

Quote:
A prepayment of anticipated real property taxes that have not been assessed prior to 2018 are not deductible in 2017. State or local law determines whether and when a property tax is assessed, which is generally when the taxpayer becomes liable for the property tax imposed

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-adv...d-paid-in-2017
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 03:30 PM

537 posts, read 1,449,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
It doesn't appear that you can pay a tax bill unless it was assessed. If what you received is a solid assessment from them then that should be deductible. I'm surprised because the county general tax is not finalized until several months into the following year, same for the villages.

These fools have created one giant mess.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-adv...d-paid-in-2017

Nassau County general was assessed and finalized this year. The final numbers for everybody's house is on their website.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:58 PM

655 posts, read 1,061,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ave1024 View Post
I sent for both halves general. I am not sure why you would only send the second half. So for you it would be $2557 + 2557 - 25.57 as your discount.
TOH says not to deduct the 1% from your payment.
From TOH website:
Tax amounts on the county's website will not include the 1% discount if you are paying the full general tax amount. The Receiver of Taxes will issue refunds for the 1% discount Do not discount the 1% from your check as inaccurate payments cannot be accepted by law.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:44 PM

537 posts, read 1,449,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
TOH says not to deduct the 1% from your payment.
From TOH website:
Tax amounts on the county's website will not include the 1% discount if you are paying the full general tax amount. The Receiver of Taxes will issue refunds for the 1% discount Do not discount the 1% from your check as inaccurate payments cannot be accepted by law.

So TOH wants you to send the full amount and they will process a bunch of 1% refunds? That's ridiculous. Why are they creating all this extra work for themselves? The accurate amount to pay is the amount minus 1% for second half for paying early.

TOB even posted the numbers on their website for everybody which included the 1% discount.

Glad I got the hell out of TOH when I did. As criminal as TOB executives are, they at least have their crap together generally.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:57 PM

40 posts, read 72,120 times
A lot of generalizations going on.

I'm in Suffolk (Smithtown) and received my yearly property tax bill on Dec 15th, 1st payment due by Jan 10th. I researched the numbers and sent DH to town hall on Dec 20th to prepay our taxes. We are not "sheeple" as some of the uninformed on this site seem to think, for us it made sense.

The tax calculator has us listed as "total deductions: $25,300" instead of 24K. I assume that is because DH is over 65. I also don't agree, after running our numbers, that the amounts it has listed that I will "save" under the new plan are valid. They are very general. Pretty much this is going to be a case of YMMV.

Old 12-28-2017, 05:17 PM

655 posts, read 1,061,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ave1024 View Post
So TOH wants you to send the full amount and they will process a bunch of 1% refunds? That's ridiculous. Why are they creating all this extra work for themselves? The accurate amount to pay is the amount minus 1% for second half for paying early.

TOB even posted the numbers on their website for everybody which included the 1% discount.

Glad I got the hell out of TOH when I did. As criminal as TOB executives are, they at least have their crap together generally.

Slightly off-topic for TOH, but the corruption is insane! The outgoing TOH Supervisor will be settling into a cushy 160K gig. Where do admin assts make 160K & then have an assistant to the assistant at 140K!

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...sor-1.15628578

Hempstead Town Supervisor Anthony Santino will step down Friday and take a $160,000 job as an administrative assistant at the Nassau County Board of Elections, according to town officials and county sources. Santino will begin working as an administrative assistant to Republican Elections Commissioner Louis Savinetti on Friday, according to GOP and Democratic sources. Also moving to the Board of Elections is Ellen Muller, who serves as an assistant to Nassau Republican chairman Joseph Mondello. Muller will become Santino’s assistant, making a $140,000 per year, Republican sources said. Muller also works as a part-time clerical aide in the Town of Hempstead Parks Department. She made $20,565 in that role last year.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:50 PM

20,063 posts, read 20,877,739 times
Suckers!

Old 12-29-2017, 11:01 AM

107 posts, read 234,983 times
So I'm in TOB and looks like I can pay my 2nd Half 2017 school taxes online at:

https://tax.egov.basgov.com/OysterBay/User/Login

(register your account, link your property. It'll show you how much you owe for 2nd half and allow you to pay the amount + $2.00 convenience fee which is fine for me).

For 2018 General taxes, you can see how much you owe TOB here:
http://oysterbaytown.com/wp-content/...rt_NoOwner.pdf

but how do I pay via mail? Just cut a check to:

James J. Stefanich
Receiver of Taxes
74 Audrey Ave
Oyster Bay, NY 11771

with a copy of my 2017 tax payment receipt and maybe a printout of the page where my property is (highlighted or circled) from their 2018 General Taxes PDF? And get it sent certified mail or postmarked? I don't feel like driving to Oyster Bay or Massapequa and deal with their lines. Thanks.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:21 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,332,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGI7 View Post
So I'm in TOB and looks like I can pay my 2nd Half 2017 school taxes online at:

https://tax.egov.basgov.com/OysterBay/User/Login

(register your account, link your property. It'll show you how much you owe for 2nd half and allow you to pay the amount + $2.00 convenience fee which is fine for me).

For 2018 General taxes, you can see how much you owe TOB here:
http://oysterbaytown.com/wp-content/...rt_NoOwner.pdf

but how do I pay via mail? Just cut a check to:

James J. Stefanich
Receiver of Taxes
74 Audrey Ave
Oyster Bay, NY 11771

with a copy of my 2017 tax payment receipt and maybe a printout of the page where my property is (highlighted or circled) from their 2018 General Taxes PDF? And get it sent certified mail or postmarked? I don't feel like driving to Oyster Bay or Massapequa and deal with their lines. Thanks.
The address and name is correct. I just put in a a note with my name address and block and lot # from a prior bill. I mailed mine. As long as it's post marked it counts.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:49 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun12 View Post
You cannot take the 10k MTG INT if you take the 24k standard deduction. You will also lose the personal deduction. So your taxable income will be 22k higher.

The child tax credit of 2k each is after you figure out your tax based on your taxable income. It does not reduce your taxable income, but it reduces your final tax.

As a result, child tax credit encourages ppl to have more kids. Suppose someone needs to pay 10k tax based on taxable income. With 5 kids , 5x2k = 10k child tax credit, the person will pay 0 income tax.

For long islanders the key on the tax are whether your income is higher enough so that lower tax rates could compensate for the higher taxable income, whether you have kids so that you can claim 2k each tax credit to reduce tax, and whether you hit enough AMT or not.

If you are middle income with no kids or 1 kid, and do not hit AMT before, most likely your tax will be higher
We are curious as to what is going to happen. 1 child in college, 1 adult son employed FT living at home. Never hit AMT, S-Corp, minimal mortgage interest, property taxes around $8K. I've tried different calculators and some show us owing a few grand more while one had us saving a little less than $2K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island