Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 10:22 AM

20,064 posts, read 20,877,739 times

Advertisements

#fakenews ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 10:54 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,410,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagny77 View Post
Don't forget though, that the standard deduction has doubled in this new law. So for example, for a married couple it is now 24k. For most people on LI, they are not going to be hit negatively by this change unless they have extremely high property taxes (even for LI) and/or a very generous income (given up to 6 and change percent state income tax - unless you are over a million in annual income).

The majority are most likely going to be at least slightly better off, even here on LI, and the bulk of families wont have to even bother to itemize any longer. Before everyone goes nuts, if you itemized last year (property, state, etc), look at the itemized total line on your return. If it is below 24k you are better off and you have less paper work to do. If it is above, then take into account the child tax credit increases, bracket deductions, AMT fixes, etc. and then make a determination. Some of the media coverage of this is ludicrous.
Finally, someone who actually gets it. The mass Hysteria here, and all over the news is ridiculous. People need to do some research on their own. Use your brain!

Old 12-21-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Finally, someone who actually gets it. The mass Hysteria here, and all over the news is ridiculous. People need to do some research on their own. Use your brain!
Brain?
Ha ha!
Are you kidding?
Brain? LOL
Mindless sheep. That’s we are dealing with.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Brain?
Ha ha!
Are you kidding?
Brain? LOL
Mindless sheep. That’s we are dealing with.
Yup. What was I thinking...errrr, damn, that's what happens when you use your brain.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:13 AM

36 posts, read 33,625 times
The ironic thing is that even the majority of people in deep blue urban areas are making out in this change. Given the majority in a city like NYC, Chicago, etc are non millionaire income apartment renters, they most likely had no deductions. Now suddenly they have a huge tax break, yet they are whipped up into a frenzy by confusing coverage.

Last edited by dagny77; 12-21-2017 at 11:21 AM..

Old 12-21-2017, 11:21 AM

Either party could come up with the best tax plan ever in the history of the United States and yet the opposite party will condemn it. Fact.
That’s how divided we are as a nation.
No more common sense or middle ground.
Blue or red and that’s it.
So basically I have no idea what’s going on even though I’m told what’s going on.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
yet they are whipped up into a frenzy by confusing coverage.
Confusing? No, this is how the media works now. They lie, then everyone believes it, and it spreads on FB, this forum, Twitter. It's now "Truth"

Old 12-21-2017, 11:26 AM

Facebook.
My first order as President would be to abolish social media sites.
Real communism, but necessary.
That crap has single handedly dumbed down this country into a bunch of useless twits.

Old 12-21-2017, 12:44 PM
exm exm started this thread

3,722 posts, read 1,784,010 times
Quote:
The ironic thing is that even the majority of people in deep blue urban areas are making out in this change. Given the majority in a city like NYC, Chicago, etc are non millionaire income apartment renters, they most likely had no deductions. Now suddenly they have a huge tax break, yet they are whipped up into a frenzy by confusing coverage.
I'm upper middle class in Nassau, and I'm about break-even with this bill. However, when my wife resumes working I won't have to worry about AMT so that's a plus. Then hopefully (doubtful) NYS and LI counties will rethink their taxation approach.

Either way, my original post was to give you an extra tax advantage this year.

Old 12-21-2017, 01:53 PM

731 posts, read 725,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Then hopefully (doubtful) NYS and LI counties will rethink their taxation approach.
Hahahahahahahahahaahahahahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island