Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 09:54 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
West Chester white plains and surrounding areas are better then LI.
LI'ers don't go to Queens, Brooklyn or the Bronx. The only time they go there is when they are trying to get on or off the Island. They usually add an hour or 2 to get on or off the Island.
WC your not land locked and there great access to Manhattan. The should have a "Dead End sign" when entering the Island because there's no way off at the end!!
Two hours to get off the Island? You need to drive a bit faster. Or get a better car.

If I am going down south to say Virginia, I will take the Verrazano Bridge / Outerbridge Crossing which brings me right into central New Jersey. No GW Bridge disaster for me. In fact, depending on the time of day, I think people who live on the western half of the Island can probably get to central New Jersey and points south, faster then people living in much of Westchester.

Then there is the airports. It is true Westchester can get to Upstate or New England by car faster than Long Island. But with the airports, Long Islanders can get faster to the rest of the...…World.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 10:22 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
This is true.

When I was on a dating site years back, it used to capture everybody within a 25 mile radius of where I lived on LI (so Westchester and Connecticut people would also pop up as matches) despite being separated by the LI Sound.

I always used to tell my friends that the higher quality, more educated, more attractive and wordly people were always up there and the tired washed up ppl were on the Long Island side; so it was unfortunate when one up there was interested in you back since it was way too difficult getting there.
Long Island women seem more chill back than Westchester

Old 11-24-2018, 11:24 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Long Island women seem more chill back than Westchester
No way. LI women are wound way too tight.
Much more obnoxious and aggressive.
Not that WC doesn't have a fair share of uppity snoot bags but the scales tip far heavier towards LI women.
Ulster County is the place to be.

Old 11-24-2018, 12:15 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,543,677 times
Too many rocks and boulders in Westchester. And radon too!

Old 11-24-2018, 01:09 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
/\

Or you can choose cesspools, flood insurance and a toxic plume...

Old 11-24-2018, 05:57 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,414,205 times
I like that Long island (Nassau and Suffolk Counties) together have four Level I Trauma Center hopsitals (along with a collection of Level II and Level III Trauma Centers to complement them), whereas the Downstate New York CMSA counties north of New York City and even the adjoining southwestern Connecticut have only one Level I Trauma Center (Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla, NY). The adjoining Southwestern Connecticut doesn't have any Level I Trauma Centers until you get to New Haven, CT. So Long Island is better for healthcare concerns, all-in-all, than Westchester Country and environs.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:22 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,192,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Two hours to get off the Island? You need to drive a bit faster. Or get a better car.

If I am going down south to say Virginia, I will take the Verrazano Bridge / Outerbridge Crossing which brings me right into central New Jersey. No GW Bridge disaster for me. In fact, depending on the time of day, I think people who live on the western half of the Island can probably get to central New Jersey and points south, faster then people living in much of Westchester.

Then there is the airports. It is true Westchester can get to Upstate or New England by car faster than Long Island. But with the airports, Long Islanders can get faster to the rest of the...…World.
I just moved from central Jersey. Its taken me 3 hours to get to Stony Brook! GW disaster? What about the belt parkway nightmare? And then the $18 toll for the Verrazano, Staten Island traffic, then the $16 toll for the outer bridge! Now your in southern Jersey. You have to drive 30 minutes to get to central Jersey. Its a crap shoot! Depending on the time of day, cutting through Manhattan is now the best bet to get off the dead end.

Last edited by 41Willys; 11-24-2018 at 08:35 PM..

Old 11-25-2018, 12:09 PM

151 posts, read 130,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I think this was definitely true 30 years ago, I'm not familiar enough with it now to say....my college roommate was from Westchester and there was definitely less interest with her and her friends of maintaining the "city connection" of their parents. Whereas on LI so many people seem dedicated to maintaining their boroughs accent and attitude.

I would say the only thing they envied was proximity to the beach.
And then the Long Islanders hate everything about NYC and think the whole city is one big ghetto.

Old 11-25-2018, 02:05 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
/\

Or you can choose cesspools, flood insurance and a toxic plume...
What about Indian Point? Do Westchester residents like having it nearby? Such as just right upstream the river from them.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:06 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirlMastic Beach View Post
What about Indian Point? Do Westchester residents like having it nearby? Such as just right upstream the river from them.
Good question, every location has something. How many more years till you've paid off shutting down Shoreham the way you did? Of course the chance of hitting heavy traffic trying to get off the island is almost guaranteed where a nuclear incident is extremely rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island