Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2020, 03:12 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
See, here's the passive aggressive horse hockey I KNEW was coming! lmfao!

Respectfully (see how others can play passive aggressive, too, lol), you're not above anyone nor are your ethics better than anyone else's because you APOLOGIZE for what could be better and for holding views that are inaccurate and harm progress for the rest of us. Of course, it is admirable to do your work, enjoy life, take care of your own, DUH!! What does ANY of that have to do with letting an entire region, one of the best in the country, LOSE all of its industry while exploding taxes and neglecting every part of infrastructure?! I appreciate your experiences and ethics and all that happy homily crap, but the FACT is, LI needs people like you and Jdawg to enjoy it quietly, while other people with skin in the game and less tolerant of govt and societal BS advocate on your behalf. You're welcome.
Why are you so bitter about the fact that people can and do live well and actually enjoy their lives here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 03:14 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Storm prone, ehh. I mean look how many people still live in Miami and the Carolinas and they get way more hurricanes than we do! Every year I feel like we hear about bad ones down there.

I wouldn't use that as a negative against LI. I mean it's a concern, somewhat, but don't live in a flood zone and you're most likely fine.

However I do believe we will have another Sandy event in our lifetime. Still, the rare nature of it, shouldn't be a deterrent. Storms are not too much of a concern here.
Sandy wasn’t even technically a hurricane when it hit, and I lost power for 9 days. On the North Shore of Suffolk. And not in a flood zone.

In Miami they have parties for anything less than a Cat 3.

Old 01-27-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Well there ARE people who commute from central & eastern Suffolk into the city.

I am sure there are schools in other areas of the country that are better than our schools, but our schools generally rank very high.

My friend has a teenager who is friends with another kid who moved here from the Midwest. That child was astonished that 'extra help' after school is actually a thing.

I have family in CA who find it unbelievable that we have buses. CA is one of the few states that do not require buses.

In the scheme of things, we have VERY good schools and provide services to our children many other municipalities, states etc etc do not.
I commuted several days a week from Stony Brook to midtown a number of years ago. If I caught everything perfectly it was about 2 hours door-to-door each way. Usually 2:15, and if there was a “switching problem at Jamaica” or “problem in the tunnel” (you know what I’m getting at) it could easily be 3 hours some times.

For some people that’s acceptable, especially if they can work their schedule around the train. Usually I couldn’t, so once the peak trains were gone I was stuck on a Port Jeff line local. Not a big deal but wears on you. Because I often couldn’t get a seat on a peak train until Hicksville it was hard to do anything productive. Eventually I started driving in and taking calls during the drive. I could expense mileage and parking luckily.

I agree that on average, LI schools are consistently better than in most other states as measured by test scores and graduation rates. But as I’ve pointed out, they also cost the taxpayer 2-3x what they cost in other places. Even when accounting for the salary differences LI schools are still really expensive for what they provide.

I also got better services for my kids in Florida than LI. How shocking is that? The state with possibly the worst reputation for education actually provided more/better than what I got with Three Village. That was the big eye opener for me. I also found that the administration and teachers welcomed working with parents instead of against them.

Old 01-27-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I commuted several days a week from Stony Brook to midtown a number of years ago. If I caught everything perfectly it was about 2 hours door-to-door each way. Usually 2:15, and if there was a “switching problem at Jamaica” or “problem in the tunnel” (you know what I’m getting at) it could easily be 3 hours some times.

For some people that’s acceptable, especially if they can work their schedule around the train. Usually I couldn’t, so once the peak trains were gone I was stuck on a Port Jeff line local. Not a big deal but wears on you. Because I often couldn’t get a seat on a peak train until Hicksville it was hard to do anything productive. Eventually I started driving in and taking calls during the drive. I could expense mileage and parking luckily.

I agree that on average, LI schools are consistently better than in most other states as measured by test scores and graduation rates. But as I’ve pointed out, they also cost the taxpayer 2-3x what they cost in other places. Even when accounting for the salary differences LI schools are still really expensive for what they provide.

I also got better services for my kids in Florida than LI. How shocking is that? The state with possibly the worst reputation for education actually provided more/better than what I got with Three Village. That was the big eye opener for me. I also found that the administration and teachers welcomed working with parents instead of against them.
Noted; and that is why I said some schools, not all. There are always exceptions.

I don't mind my taxes being higher if it benefits children though.

Old 01-27-2020, 03:33 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,826,920 times
Quote:
Why are you so bitter about the fact that people can and do live well and actually enjoy their lives here?
Why can't you stay on topic without being defensive about how much you enjoy your life. We know you love it. Believe me, we know. We know...we knowwwwwwwww!! You're a very nice person and I have no beef with you, except try to contribute to the actual topic(s) sometimes. You're allowed to love LI. You don't need to defend it endlessly every time there is a discussion that criticizes it. Just sayin'.

Old 01-27-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Noted; and that is why I said some schools, not all. There are always exceptions.

I don't mind my taxes being higher if it benefits children though.
It’s a slippery slope. I used to think the same (“it’s for the children”) until I saw how good schools are run elsewhere off LI.

While I give Governor Fredo little credit for anything I do applaud the 2% tax cap because when I look back at my taxes I had years where they went up 6%, 7%, 8%. Well above inflation and anything else.

Old 01-27-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
It’s a slippery slope. I used to think the same (“it’s for the children”) until I saw how good schools are run elsewhere off LI.

While I give Governor Fredo little credit for anything I do applaud the 2% tax cap because when I look back at my taxes I had years where they went up 6%, 7%, 8%. Well above inflation and anything else.
I mean sure I want things to be cheaper as well in schools ... i have no children ... but if a decrease in taxes means significant quality decreases then I dont want that either.

At the same time, teachers are paid too much ... but maybe that contributes to why schools are so good. Im not sure.

Old 01-27-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
News flash: MOST of us made ourselves financially comfortable adults without having to glom off mom and dad, and then justify it as the 'adult' thing to do. You live deep in opposite land.

I kind of understand now. You feel it smart and beneficial to have lived at home and saved, and that is how you form your perceptions. Fair enough. It's very LI. Many, most, my story is there was no mommy/daddy safety net. We had to go to school and start a life. Take loans, get jobs, eat ramen, all that character building stuff. That is why WE acutely feel the ripoff of LI, like we're being robbed or cheated or otherwise violated and there is no amount of common sense or reason that will change nimby minds. You, on the other hand, feel that you took a valid pathway, FOR LI!

The bottom line of all this being that WE think the need for that pathway for 20 somethings indicates a bad economy, shortsighted development, overtaxation, graft, greed, corruption. Why would anyone want to stay in that?! You may think it's great. I think it sucks, but could easily be great.
I just saw you added stuff.

My question to you is, so if someone chooses this path but they dont live on LI, it’s not valid? It’s not ok? I think as long as the young person is working, contributing to the household & paying all bills minus rent to save $$ for a solid financial foundation, it’s ok.

It’s not any less acceptable just bc it isnt LI

Old 01-27-2020, 04:03 PM

1,107 posts, read 553,083 times
Quote:
See, here's the passive aggressive horse hockey I KNEW was coming! lmfao!

Respectfully (see how others can play passive aggressive, too, lol), you're not above anyone nor are your ethics better than anyone else's because you APOLOGIZE for what could be better and for holding views that are inaccurate and harm progress for the rest of us. Of course, it is admirable to do your work, enjoy life, take care of your own, DUH!! What does ANY of that have to do with letting an entire region, one of the best in the country, LOSE all of its industry while exploding taxes and neglecting every part of infrastructure?! I appreciate your experiences and ethics and all that happy homily crap, but the FACT is, LI needs people like you and Jdawg to enjoy it quietly, while other people with skin in the game and less tolerant of govt and societal BS advocate on your behalf. You're welcome.
Wow, your posts aren't passive-aggressive; they're just plain aggressive. Perhaps you should read what I actually wrote rather than interpret my words through your incredibly bitter filter. Nowhere did I apologize for anything. An acknowledgement is not an apology. And in sharing my family's multigenerational experience, I never claimed to be better than anyone. You seem to resent people who manage to make whatever system is in place work for them. First of all, you don't know me well enough to assume my level of participation in government. Regardless, why would you expect people who have made a good life for themselves here on LI to fight to change things when they've figured out how to make it work for them and are doing well? Anyway, it's clear that you are unable to tolerate a difference of opinion here, so I'm letting it go. It just doesn't mean enough to me to argue about it.

Old 01-27-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:

Another thing i want to add ... Had your kids went somewhere like jericho, do you still think FL would be better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island