Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2020, 09:58 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
There are plenty of uncrowded beaches on LI. People from Atlanta wish they had some sand to sit in even if it had some rocks.
If the folks in Atlanta want to hit the beach there are plenty along their coast as well as the Carolinas and Florida that are a lot closer to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2020, 10:11 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,891,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
If the folks in Atlanta want to hit the beach there are plenty along their coast as well as the Carolinas and Florida that are a lot closer to them.
Cool. I think we cleared it up already. Thanks

Old 01-30-2020, 10:32 AM

20,051 posts, read 20,867,177 times
I feel bad for the people in Albany.
No beaches. Must be a terrible and lifeless existence. No culture, no fun. Wonder how the pizza and bagels are? Must be good because it's still NY and NY water.

Old 01-30-2020, 10:40 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,902 times
Quote:
Try to keep up. They are moving here because Queens and Brooklyn are twice as expensive. What don’t you understand? Beaches are awesome. AWESOME. Maybe you’re more of a pool guy.
Keep up ? Me ? I said the exact thing you said here about 3 pages before you did. I just went one step further and said that they would have moved without the awesome beaches being there. You seem to have extensive knowledge about Lake Lanier and the surrounding area - so this concept of moving to a cheaper place without beaches should not be foreign to you.

In general beaches are awesome and I used to love my friends pool too !! Gotta make the most of the 6-7 months of summer beach weather... right ?

Old 01-30-2020, 11:01 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,891,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Keep up ? Me ? I said the exact thing you said here about 3 pages before you did. I just went one step further and said that they would have moved without the awesome beaches being there. You seem to have extensive knowledge about Lake Lanier and the surrounding area - so this concept of moving to a cheaper place without beaches should not be foreign to you.

In general beaches are awesome and I used to love my friends pool too !! Gotta make the most of the 6-7 months of summer beach weather... right ?
Lemme guess, native Georgian? Enjoy!!

Old 01-30-2020, 11:15 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
So *why* would I want to live on Long Island, when NJ & CT is, at the very worst, a lateral move?

At the local level, NJ is run better than her peers on Long Island, and the cost for services is lower. Jersey schools are equal to her LI counterparts, so why should I live on Long Island?

Take Monmouth County, for example: the area is rife with well run parks and open land, and I have access to 12 lanes of highway - the Garden State Parkway. Rush hour in Jersey is a lot shorter than it is on Long Island; I am not bound by bridges in NJ. Employment centers in NJ are far better than her LI counterparts.

I don't mean to be incendiary, but what's so great about Long Island? Why should I want to live there?

Long Island's strengths are her natural beauty and her people. But what ruins the whole thing, is a government that's so expensive, so mismanaged, and, in some jurisdictions, corrupt.

The people who leave Long Island, and there are many, aren't leaving the area because of the Island's natural beauty, her architecture, nor her lack of dining and shopping options.
You said it right there.

People trump all. I love the people here. It's a large part of why I stay.

LI jobs to me are irrelevant. I have always worked in the city and always will.

NJ is fine. Why LI over NJ? Well for me, #1, as you said, the people. But besides that, yes family is a large reason.

Old 01-30-2020, 02:53 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times
Quote:
Lol, take it easy. You don’t like it when you’re hometown is nit picked?
Not my hometown but just want to call it accurately. Not the natural beauty of LI beaches but better than some hole in the ground...

Old 01-31-2020, 04:36 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Give me a pool anyway. Couldn’t care less about the beach. Most people on LI wouldn’t either if they hadn’t grown up with one nearby. And I know plenty of people here who are middle class who have beach (or mountain) houses. Hell I went to back to school night last night and my kid’s underpaid teacher told us how he can’t wait to retire to his mountain house. A teacher in N.C. with a second home.

Old 01-31-2020, 05:10 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times
/\

For all the talk about the beaches which everyone seems to be at every weekend why are back yard pools so prevalent? Seems a redundancy to what is right there, 10 minutes away, world class, can't be matched as everyone likes to post...

Old 01-31-2020, 05:59 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,902 times
Quote:
Lemme guess, native Georgian? Enjoy!!
Lol - Fuggetaboutit !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I love the people here. It's a large part of why I stay.
NJ is fine. Why LI over NJ? Well for me, #1, as you said, the people. But besides that, yes family is a large reason.
Funny you say that, but I think NYC was voted the rudest city in the USA, maybe that's what we like to call it "culture" ? But I'm sure you meant people on LI or around your block - I'm sure they must be very nice.

I think people, in general, want to be nice everywhere, but by the end of the day, their experience throughout the day influences their behavior (job stress/commute etc) and it's hard to be composed all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island