Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2020, 09:04 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post
Correct.

People here are generally some of the rudest in the world.

Driving is just the first example. Then the stupid excuse that they have somewhere to be. As if no one anywhere else has places to be. I have to be somewhere so I'll merge right and cut off 3 lanes while merging onto the expressway, simply because I'm an A-hole whose schedule is more important than everyone else's. I see this about 40 times a day. Or hey, I'll tailgate and then swing around and cut off a school bus because I don't know how an alarm works and can't leave 5 mins earlier.

People here, even if doing something like walking in the park are much more closed off compared to elsewhere. Most places around the world if walking past someone on a trail path they'll acknowledge you, smile, say hi, something like that. In NY they walk with blinders on as if they're filled with fear of acknowledging someone outside their sensitive little social bubble they can't step out of.
None of this matters as much as the COL. This is a long thread that can be answered in three words: "cost of living." The other things are annoyances that make the quality of life a little more shabby.

But nothing matters as much as $15K in taxes on an average house. The local governments need what they need, and LI'ers are their ATM. This is why people leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2020, 10:05 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times
42 pages and counting in a month. Nothing more polarizing than this subject, except teacher and police pay.

Old 02-03-2020, 10:17 AM

20,051 posts, read 20,867,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
42 pages and counting in a month. Nothing more polarizing than this subject, except teacher and police pay.
You forgot Trump, & ice cream.

Old 02-03-2020, 10:34 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,520,593 times
Grew up on LI but the taxes are outrageous. Can't see going back. Need more commerical tax base and development around the train stations but many villages aren't interested in that sort of thing

Old 02-03-2020, 12:03 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,275,378 times
Totally forgot about this thread over the past few weeks, amazed to see it still going.

I just wanted to address this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner_ed View Post
Looks like they moved to NC, RDU area.
I've been there several times, drove all over from there to VA down to SC. It's an amazing area in terms of nature, scenery, air quality, but there is "nothing" compared to NYC or even Suffolk. If you are used to NY life style, you will be bored fairly quickly. If you like the slow pace, mall (or strip mall) life style, like if your idea of going shopping is a trip to costco and target, etc, you would love the area. It's convenient, but there is a lot less diversity in terms of food and shopping. These days most people shop online so that's a plus obviously. (If I was wrong about the area, this is all invalid of course)

I am not sure what Greenie does for living, but if you are making more than what you used to make in NYC, you are either a rare commodity down there, or you were being underpaid here.

I hope greenie can comment more, but for us, we are staying in NY unless there is an opportunity to maintain our lifestyle and what's available to us here. Nobody packs up and leaves because they just had enough, and then try to find a job, etc. You need to have friends, family, etc that you know can give you suggestions, even within NY when we want to move we go and check out the area multiple times. It's important and god bless anyone who is brave enough to move just because "taxes are too damn high" or "enough with this traffic" while they have steady income, and a good career.

We are in Raleigh, and if you haven't read anything about the food scene here, you should. New spots are opening all the time and there are award winning chefs and restaurants. I've never felt like I craved something that I couldn't find here, in a store or a restaurant. The food scene on Long Island wasn't so great that we miss it much.

My husband and I are both in IT. Of the NC cities, Raleigh has the most opportunities for tech people with very large companies. Look into the Research Triangle Park, you'll see what I mean. My husband's job in particular is highly sought after. We are both 20 years into our careers. I'm not sharing our salaries with you, but we weren't starving before, and we are certainly not now.

We didn't have friends or family in Raleigh. We did have enough and packed up and moved. I researched for 2 years before we put our house up for sale and visited Raleigh a bunch of times so it wasn't a rash decision.

I think you might be incredulous about what we did or simplifying it because you disagree. That's fine, like I said in my original post, it was the best decision for us. I'll never tell anyone else that it's perfect for them. I don't think we were that brave, it was a little scary but between the research, the visits, and renting before we bought a house, we made very sure it was the right decision.

I may forget to come back to this thread again so if anyone has specific information they want, feel free to DM me.

Old 02-03-2020, 01:08 PM

^^^^
Sacrilege! Heathen!
LI is utopia, the greatest place on Earth.
Biblical beaches and heavenly bagels.
There is no other spot of dirt in the US that can hold a candle to the epic greatness of LI.

Old 02-03-2020, 03:32 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
^^^^
Sacrilege! Heathen!
LI is utopia, the greatest place on Earth.
Biblical beaches and heavenly bagels.
There is no other spot of dirt in the US that can hold a candle to the epic greatness of LI.
So sayeth the Shepard! So sayeth the flock!....

Old 02-03-2020, 03:35 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,889,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
Lake George is fifty something miles up the Northway. Works for me.
I remember being up in Lake George and the locals were recommending something. I asked a few times if there's free parking and they replied with... "why do you keep asking about parking? Are you constantly being charged or something?"

Ha. Ha. This place... go to a public beach, have to pay $10+ to park! Street parking? Yup feed that meter!

Last edited by ovi8; 02-03-2020 at 03:59 PM..

Old 02-03-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
I remember being up in Lake George and the locals were recommending something. I asked a few times if there's free parking and they replied with... "why do you keep asking about parking? Are you constantly being charged or something?"

Ha. Ha. This place...
They hate us flatlanders.

Old 02-03-2020, 04:34 PM

305 posts, read 196,314 times
Because NYS pays public service employees outrageous salaries and pensions which result in outrageous taxes.
Today three superintendents identified as receiving $300k pensions.p
I have answer make the school district responsible forever for these ridiculous compensation packages, perhaps then these Yes budget voters would see folly of their actions as well as stop nonsensical bonds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island