Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2020, 06:15 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,260,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Another thing i want to add ... Had your kids went somewhere like jericho, do you still think FL would be better?
My kids had some special ed requirements that had nothing to do with academics. And Collier County (the school district) was very accommodating and welcoming. It was clear that the teachers and administration together looked for the best solution. In 3V I found a much more confrontational environment.

I don’t think that FL schools in general are “better” but I had a good experience with them.

Don’t get me wrong...Jericho is a top district. But when taxpayers are paying around $40K per student per year...that’s private school tuition. A huge budget for one high school, one middle school and 4 elementary schools...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2020, 05:46 AM

384 posts, read 434,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
My kids had some special ed requirements that had nothing to do with academics. And Collier County (the school district) was very accommodating and welcoming. It was clear that the teachers and administration together looked for the best solution. In 3V I found a much more confrontational environment.

I don’t think that FL schools in general are “better” but I had a good experience with them.

Don’t get me wrong...Jericho is a top district. But when taxpayers are paying around $40K per student per year...that’s private school tuition. A huge budget for one high school, one middle school and 4 elementary schools...
Your commute was insane, imho.
As far as the schools, I don’t know anything about Collier but 3V is an excellent school district.
Regarding Special Education, Kings Park is incredible, imho.
What I would really like to address is why people who no longer live here, feel the urge to come on this forum and constantly criticize New York?
The people who live here are not idiots and those who aspire to leave do so.
This is a mystery to me.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:15 AM

30 posts, read 17,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Another thing i want to add ... Had your kids went somewhere like jericho, do you still think FL would be better?

Schools dont matter. If your kid is born an idiot, no school will turn a rock into Isaac Newton.

Many people have the misconception that a good school will turn them into something great. I went to a crap elementary school, a crap middle school with 70% immigrants, and then I went to a specialized high school because I wasn't a rock.

Was the experience something I could be proud of? No. But I'm glad my parents didnt have to shell out 10k a year for me to be with those dumb LI kids who still play with gameboys.

They look so lost waiting on their ranch for a school bus to pick them up, as if they had no legs of ways to get to school.

Old 01-28-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limaman View Post
Your commute was insane, imho.
As far as the schools, I don’t know anything about Collier but 3V is an excellent school district.
Regarding Special Education, Kings Park is incredible, imho.
What I would really like to address is why people who no longer live here, feel the urge to come on this forum and constantly criticize New York?
The people who live here are not idiots and those who aspire to leave do so.
This is a mystery to me.
3V is an excellent district, which is why I bought there with the intent of raising a family on LI. Unfortunately when my oldest entered kindergarten I found out first hand how little support 3V provides when you run into issues, and how quickly the administration leans on “rules”. I’ll spare everyone the details but I had to come up to speed really fast as a parent for Section 504 and IDEA rights. My son really suffered. Today he’s in a talented and gifted program, getting straight A’s and not even classified as special ed. No thanks to 3V.

To your other question, I along with many others still have family and friends on LI. I don’t randomly criticize NY, but you do gain perspective when you leave and look at how messed up much of LI is. Just as there are total naysayers here there are also people with their blinders on who don’t see the challenges. I would never tell someone to leave if they’re happy, but I will point things out if they’re looking to move to LI, or present alternatives.

Old 01-28-2020, 02:53 PM

20,058 posts, read 20,872,330 times
A 504 is a complete joke.
It's a buck shifter.

Old 01-28-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
A 504 is a complete joke.
It's a buck shifter.
Gotta use the tools you have. The ultimate goal is an IEP and classification.

Old 01-28-2020, 04:13 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,826,524 times
Quote:
Doesn't anybody realize that Goober no longer tries to emulate "NY" pizza and bagels?
There are so many transplants to the south that have opened pizza and bagel shops. "It's the NY water, that's the secret ingredient" total BS.

I have eaten pizza all over the south. Unfortunately because I hate pizza. But it's been convenient and "familiar" while traveling.
I have noticed zero difference. I've had beyond terrible pizza right here on the island many times and I've had amazing pizza down south.
So the pizza argument is moot. It's an old stigma that is no longer relevant. If you are anywhere near civilization or a major metro area, you get the same hit or miss quality of pizza as you do here.
So true. The best pizza I ever had in my life was in Atlanta, GA. Its not the water. Most of the water in LI and NJ is polluted anyway.

NYC/LI/NJ pizza used to be all the rage. I find it all sucks now. Large food conglomerates supply most of the pizza places now, with Hormel shelf-stable meats used as meatballs and pepperoni. Grandma Maria isn't making this stuff anymore, a slaughterhouse in NC is sending this stuff to a chemical plant to spray it with preservatives and mix it with soybeans and pink slime. Slap an Italian name on the bag and ship it out.

BHT, BHA, MSG, sodium nitrite, textured soy protein. That's a homemade NY meatball nowadays.

Old 01-28-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
So true. The best pizza I ever had in my life was in Atlanta, GA. Its not the water. Most of the water in LI and NJ is polluted anyway.

NYC/LI/NJ pizza used to be all the rage. I find it all sucks now. Large food conglomerates supply most of the pizza places now, with Hormel shelf-stable meats used as meatballs and pepperoni. Grandma Maria isn't making this stuff anymore, a slaughterhouse in NC is sending this stuff to a chemical plant to spray it with preservatives and mix it with soybeans and pink slime. Slap an Italian name on the bag and ship it out.

BHT, BHA, MSG, sodium nitrite, textured soy protein. That's a homemade NY meatball nowadays.
Do you remember the name of that place?

Old 01-28-2020, 08:21 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,361,989 times
Quote:
Doesn't anybody realize that Goober no longer tries to emulate "NY" pizza and bagels?
There are so many transplants to the south that have opened pizza and bagel shops. "It's the NY water, that's the secret ingredient" total BS.

I have eaten pizza all over the south. Unfortunately because I hate pizza. But it's been convenient and "familiar" while traveling.
I have noticed zero difference. I've had beyond terrible pizza right here on the island many times and I've had amazing pizza down south.
So the pizza argument is moot. It's an old stigma that is no longer relevant. If you are anywhere near civilization or a major metro area, you get the same hit or miss quality of pizza as you do here.
Not BS and I don’t own a pizzeria. CiCis down south is so disgusting, I would rather eat Elio’s frozen pizza. Maybe because I am Italian and know what things should taste like. My wife could eat Ragu sauce all day. I would rather eat cereal. And Bagels? Forget it. Disgusting squishy dough. The bagels in NJ are disgusting. But those items wouldn’t keep me in NY. The water is what gives the bagels their crisp outer side. I don’t think water affects pizza.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:39 PM

30 posts, read 17,840 times
Are we trying to justify why we pay 1k/mo for public services with pizza and bagels that, with the exception of NJ and the midwest, is just as good elsewhere? .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island