Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 04:37 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
With Gigabit you get an ethernet cable, with slower speeds they still use the COAX cable. Are you saying that the even with a COAX cable coming out of the ONT you don't need the Verizon modem/router?
Again it’s not a modem/router it’s just a router. Anything over 100mpbs requires an Ethernet cable run from the ONT. if you just have internet you can use any router you please (if you have Ethernet and not coax as your WAN). If you also have fios TV however you are pretty much stuck using their router as the router controls the on screen guide, on demand, multiroom DVR etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2021, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
ONT has always done the work. It just depends if it was setup for coax, or ethernet. Even if it was using coax, a simple call to use ethernet could be made. The old setup with coax was needed for the tv's and VOD. Coax is still needed for that along with their router in the mix. Not that you cant ALSO use a better router in addition to it.
Yep you can use an additional bridged router but honestly the new one is actually pretty good (def not worth the 300 asking though)

Old 03-14-2021, 09:51 AM

602 posts, read 312,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander3 View Post
Optimum is feeling tremendous heat from streaming services and Fios, so they are finally offering huge discounts to current customers. We called them to get a reduction in the cost of wifi and they immediately agreed to reduce our bill from about $93 a month to $15. No, that's not a typo. If you haven't called them recently -- and have Fios in your area as competition -- call them today.
I see you have only 3 posts but if you should happen to return and see this could you kindly provide the phone number you called to receive the reduced rate ? Thanks.

Old 03-24-2021, 12:57 PM

7 posts, read 3,201 times
Default Optimum discounts

For those of you who are asking about the Optimum number to call for a discount, I recall it was the 516-364-8400 number. I told several of my nearby neighbors about the discounts offered and they called the numbers on their bills and got reductions ranging from $80-$124 a month. Perhaps this is because Fios has just been installed on our streets.

After we dropped all Optimum phone and program services (we switched to cheaper cell and streaming services) and went Internet only, Optimum kept jacking up our WiFi rates from around $45 to $61 to $81, all for 100 mbps. When the rate was bumped again to $93+ and we heard about Fios, that’s when I called for a discount. They were willing to double our speed to 200 and cut the bill $60 a month, so we now pay under $34 all in. The rate is good for a year and if the renewal isn’t favorable, we’ll jump to Fios.

Whatever you decide, I highly recommend dropping cable TV in favor of streaming. We are saving a bundle of money and have access to more programming than ever. We have unlimited recording, no boxes or wires (so TVs can be places anywhere in the home that there’s an electrical outlet), no extraneous fees or taxes, the graphics are much better and we are well rid of most of Optimum’s poor service. I can’t tell you how satisfying it was to drop off shopping bags full of Optimum’s outdated equipment to one of their local offices. We would never go back and if Fios offers us a good Internet deal, we could be rid of Optimum forever.

Oh, we also don’t rent an Optimum modem. You can buy your own on Amazon for about 50 bucks.

Old 03-24-2021, 01:44 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander3 View Post
For those of you who are asking about the Optimum number to call for a discount, I recall it was the 516-364-8400 number. I told several of my nearby neighbors about the discounts offered and they called the numbers on their bills and got reductions ranging from $80-$124 a month. Perhaps this is because Fios has just been installed on our streets.

After we dropped all Optimum phone and program services (we switched to cheaper cell and streaming services) and went Internet only, Optimum kept jacking up our WiFi rates from around $45 to $61 to $81, all for 100 mbps. When the rate was bumped again to $93+ and we heard about Fios, that’s when I called for a discount. They were willing to double our speed to 200 and cut the bill $60 a month, so we now pay under $34 all in. The rate is good for a year and if the renewal isn’t favorable, we’ll jump to Fios.

Whatever you decide, I highly recommend dropping cable TV in favor of streaming. We are saving a bundle of money and have access to more programming than ever. We have unlimited recording, no boxes or wires (so TVs can be places anywhere in the home that there’s an electrical outlet), no extraneous fees or taxes, the graphics are much better and we are well rid of most of Optimum’s poor service. I can’t tell you how satisfying it was to drop off shopping bags full of Optimum’s outdated equipment to one of their local offices. We would never go back and if Fios offers us a good Internet deal, we could be rid of Optimum forever.

Oh, we also don’t rent an Optimum modem. You can buy your own on Amazon for about 50 bucks.
Respectfully, I called BS on all those discounts the first post and double BS ing it now, not that you aren't being honest, just not realizing you are paying $34 for 200mbps but the promo for 1gig fiber is now $45/mo. 300mbps regular price from Verizon is $39. It's likely you spoke to a regular rep at that main # above who gave you some current customer promos. Retention can do a lot more, unfortunately they are letting customers walk. They called me 3 weeks later to offer me $188/mo+ for premier plus all hardware plus phone plus 1 gig internet. Greatest day late and dollar short offer in history. Sad because I prefer they do well, being local to Hicksville, but they really are clueless at retaining customers, and I defended them for years on here.

Old 03-24-2021, 06:35 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Respectfully, I called BS on all those discounts the first post and double BS ing it now, not that you aren't being honest, just not realizing you are paying $34 for 200mbps but the promo for 1gig fiber is now $45/mo. 300mbps regular price from Verizon is $39. It's likely you spoke to a regular rep at that main # above who gave you some current customer promos. Retention can do a lot more, unfortunately they are letting customers walk. They called me 3 weeks later to offer me $188/mo+ for premier plus all hardware plus phone plus 1 gig internet. Greatest day late and dollar short offer in history. Sad because I prefer they do well, being local to Hicksville, but they really are clueless at retaining customers, and I defended them for years on here.
Their retention sucks.

We had Optimum full pkg. Switched to Fios & now just have internet & streaming via hulu live. Called retention to see if they could give me a deal & if not told them i was canceling. They did not budge.

Then when I actually called to cancel (& already had the appt for VZ install) they said “u should have tried to get a deal from the retention dept” ... UM HELLO MC FLY!

Anyway Fios is cool

Old 03-25-2021, 06:38 AM

732 posts, read 882,614 times
In laws parents are paying $318 for internet, 4 cable boxes and phone service with optimum. Fios plan came out to $180.
I doubt they will switch since they don't want to learn new things. That's ridiculous. I'm paying $35 just for 300/300 fios no contract

Old 03-25-2021, 06:47 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubering View Post
In laws parents are paying $318 for internet, 4 cable boxes and phone service with optimum. Fios plan came out to $180.
I doubt they will switch since they don't want to learn new things. That's ridiculous. I'm paying $35 just for 300/300 fios no contract
If they are paying $318 they need to renegotiate NOW. Maybe use an app like Truebill or Trim it might make it easier. I had the same service for $185/mo.

Old 03-25-2021, 07:06 AM

Quote:
That’s absolutely crazy! That’s a car payment!

Old 03-26-2021, 01:59 PM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,778,252 times
Quote:

That sounds like my in-laws. Crazy, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island